Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
My prayers are with you!!

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Good luck Mark! Hope everything goes well for ya and ya have a speedy recovery!

When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns! (from a 1960's bumper sticker)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
just a question regarding the nephrectomy: is there a preference on which kidney the surgeons are proposing to remove if they only do one?

is it specific issue greater on one side or the other?

particularly with me, the right side(my right) is the most troublesome for me, I suppose anatomically due to the crowding of the liver on that side. Extreme chronic burning pain under the armpit and down the flank.

if I had a choice, I'd have em yank my right. The left rarely gives any pain, unless I'm doing a lot of chainsaw work or getting jiggled on the tractor for several hours.

also, with them still leaving you with the one kidney, it will still leave you with a miniscule usable kidney function, sometimes possibly in the realm of 2-5%. Which is certainly better than if they gutted you like a carp. leaving you wide open only to trust the anti-rejection meds, faith and the donor organ

the only drawback I can see is that the diseased kidneys will still produce Renin angio-retension enzymes which may continue to signal disruptions of your body's ability to properly balance potassium and sodium, thus still tweaking your hypertension issues.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
best of luck,and speedy recovery,sounds like quite an ordeal.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by slumlord
just a question regarding the nephrectomy: is there a preference on which kidney the surgeons are proposing to remove if they only do one?

is it specific issue greater on one side or the other?

particularly with me, the right side(my right) is the most troublesome for me, I suppose anatomically due to the crowding of the liver on that side. Extreme chronic burning pain under the armpit and down the flank.

if I had a choice, I'd have em yank my right. The left rarely gives any pain, unless I'm doing a lot of chainsaw work or getting jiggled on the tractor for several hours.

also, with them still leaving you with the one kidney, it will still leave you with a miniscule usable kidney function, sometimes possibly in the realm of 2-5%. Which is certainly better than if they gutted you like a carp. leaving you wide open only to trust the anti-rejection meds, faith and the donor organ

the only drawback I can see is that the diseased kidneys will still produce Renin angio-retension enzymes which may continue to signal disruptions of your body's ability to properly balance potassium and sodium, thus still tweaking your hypertension issues.

Wow! I am going to start calling you DR Slumlord! I am impressed! Yes, if they take only one - and that is their leaning right now - it will be the right kidney as it is the most enlarged and it is pushing on my liver, pancreas and stomach. Both are causing me back pain. It (the rh side kidney) has also thrown off some cysts to my liver already, and that ain't good.

The tumor on my pituitary gland (dead middle of the brain) might be 'just' a cyst from my PKD as this disease has been known to cause cysts to grow in the old cranium too at times. At least this is what I read. Might be old, outdated info. We will have to deal with the growth, whatever it is, on my pituitary gland after I am up and running with a decent renal system.

VERY good point about leaving a kidney in VS being "gutted like a carp" I love that analogy by the way and plan to re use it if I may smile

Nearly impossible to control BP is one big reason I wanted them both out, but here I thought the pressures were way up and fickle because of the kidneys being plugged up. I had not ever heard of Renin angio-retension enzymes before. They sound like something I would want to put in the tank of my motorcycle on race days! All the Docs have said about such is to eat a low protien, low potassium low salt diet, which I have done. But even with that and taking 5 BP pills a day my BP can be all over the damn map, just in one day! Now, I have more of a clue as to why so many thanks.

Do you think the Sodium and Potassium imbalances are what makes me so incredibly exhausted a lot of the time? Kind of makes sense to me as I can go from feeling pretty good to almost unable to walk chronic exhaustion, and a crazy high heart rate if I do, within the same 1/2 day or less.

Some of my symptoms and challenges are coming into a clearer view here, THANK YOU for the additional information! All the docs told me was 1) I have PKD 2) My kidneys are very enlarged (over double) 3)they are plugged up with cysts 4) the total function of the two was under the sustaining life threshold of 20% - recent development on that one - and 4) find a donor or be on Dyalysis.

Maybe too much detail and personal info here now, so switching to PM's but I want to express my thanks to you here, and publicly. You have been a good friend and help to me for a couple of years now as I battled this crud.

Much appreciated,

MARK

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great news, Mark! More prayers on the way!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Great news, Mark! More prayers on the way!

It is not lost upon me that you and one or two others here have been consistent prayer warriors on my behalf for a long time now. As is the case with my kidney donor cousin, I have no earthly idea of how to repay you for this.

I am significantly humbled and very grateful.

It is no accident or dumb luck that my first person to offer to donate was a perfect match. This is very rare with the norm being 10 potential donors to one match, even if close family is the donor pool. This, and many other blessings which have come my way are the DIRECT result of the prayers of the saints on my behalf.

God has something he wants me to do, post transplant, and I am excited to find out what it is and get to doing it as soon as I am able.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mark.... best of luck to you and your cousin. A good friend of mine had this done. He says he feels like a million bucks now. In fact, shortly after the transplant, his wife got pregnant... yes... by him ... lol........ regards..... mark

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
13 years next month since I donated to a friend, and we are both doing fine. Hope yours goes as well!

There is no retreat but in submission and slavery!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
mailmanmark and jimone,

Thanks so much for these awesome reports! SOOO encouraging.

But if in the proccess of fixing my kidneys they manage to undo my vasectomy, I am going to be really, really pissed.... smile

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Good news!

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Allah Akbar. It's why He gave us science. Good luck and best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Best wishes to you.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by las
Allah Akbar.

Really?

Anyway, Best of luck to a speedy recovery FOR BOTH OF YOU.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1234, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 45 invisible), 1,761 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,403
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.