Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Thats a reason to design what you want and have a top line smith do it for you.

Generally same or less money and a better outcome IMHO.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
I should add that some don't know what they really want or its not for specific uses like mine are and as such, if you have the cash and not the time, then the top line offerings are not bad deals.

I've always been averse to buying something cobbled together because someone else thought it the best set up, when I have varying ideas, but granted on non tinker toy guns, like Rem 700, there really isn't much to change on rifles like that.
Other than the fact I can get a good stock, top barrel and bed them together myself and have a better outcome for less cash, but more time...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rost495

Well, to some degree, I agree with you.

But OTOH, sub-MOA is sub-MOA, regardless of how you get there.

I can build it myself as that's not a big deal, or pay someone to build it, but in the end, even with top-line components, & although it may perform as expected, it's still a Frankengun & trying to get the real value out of it compared to a factory gun, is difficult.

I've been mainly a buyer & not a seller, but at some point in time, that will change.

I'm working on a new gun for varminting, LR paper punching & LR club shoots & if I do it myself, I can save $200-400 depending on exactly how I do it, compared to some top line stuff, but I'll likely not recover my costs, even though I will only use top line components.

So, IMO, there is some merit in the value/price of top line factory guns.

Whatdayathink?

MM

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TWR
I see lots of guys cussing the flat head screws but that's one tool everyone has and that's why they use em.

Haven't seen an armorers manual for the 7.62x51mm, but the manual for the 5.56 versions all mention the screws are not to be turned by just anyone with the correct bit and (strangely enough) the ones with Loctite applied are listed as a remove-toss-replace item.

Really odd after perusing an Australian L1A1 manual and seeing how much of that was expected to be user maintained and even had a multitool issued to do it. Most of the surplus screw heads that had been issued looked like hell too though.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

Well, to some degree, I agree with you.

But OTOH, sub-MOA is sub-MOA, regardless of how you get there.

I can build it myself as that's not a big deal, or pay someone to build it, but in the end, even with top-line components, & although it may perform as expected, it's still a Frankengun & trying to get the real value out of it compared to a factory gun, is difficult.

I've been mainly a buyer & not a seller, but at some point in time, that will change.

I'm working on a new gun for varminting, LR paper punching & LR club shoots & if I do it myself, I can save $200-400 depending on exactly how I do it, compared to some top line stuff, but I'll likely not recover my costs, even though I will only use top line components.

So, IMO, there is some merit in the value/price of top line factory guns.

Whatdayathink?

MM

I always forget the value issue. its not an issue in SHTF if that were to ever happen. Gun is a gun is a gun.

But to resell, I agree with you on value. Though properly smithed guns, like WOP service rifle, will always bring a premium in the right circles, maybe even more so than a big name....

I don't ever see me selling. I even won a flippin ruger 270 of all things. 2 things combined that i can't stand and won't ever pay for. Ruger and then 270 to boot. But I won't sell it. Just can't bring myself to sell things. Ask my wife.

Probably when I'm dead and gone though, someone will have some guns or some cash.

Still thinking of buying 50 more lowers for the heck of it... Why, I have no idea.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just can't bring myself to sell things. Ask my wife.

Probably when I'm dead and gone though, someone will have some guns or some cash.

Yeah, I hear you.......I buy a lot more than I sell too, but that needs to change pretty soon; just too much that's not getting used, just a handful of favorites.

MM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pricey

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
its not an issue in SHTF if that were to ever happen. Gun is a gun is a gun.

Chauchat

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got an Armalite DEF-10 in 308 shoots great and shoots every time I pull the trigger.

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 67 invisible), 2,254 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,285
Posts18,486,876
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.