T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
They are so easy to sniff out.
you must be talking about sniffin deez nuts.
i am so happy i found this forum.just when i thought i had wasted 400 dollars on a zeiss terra i find out that my terra is just as good as a swarvo z6 or a top dollar nightforce.man i wish i read that rifleman article sooner.maybe if i can adjust the reticle just right on my terra it will come unglued from my rifle and cook me breakfast also.my wife would be jealous if she knew the things my terra could do.all this time i thought i had a cheap scope.you guys are awesome.

the bottom line is i needed a scope that would define antlers a little better towards the last 10.minutes of daylight.my buddy has a zeiss victory that i used on his 7mag a couple times and there was a huge difference compared to my terra.
My eyes are perfectly fine.im a full time professional tattoo artist that requires my eyes
To function.i go to the eye doctor one a year.

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Which one?
[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

I can keep going...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a lot of night shooting going on there...... wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tatsoul
i am so happy i found this forum.just when i thought i had wasted 400 dollars on a zeiss terra i find out that my terra is just as good as a swarvo z6 or a top dollar nightforce.man i wish i read that rifleman article sooner.maybe if i can adjust the reticle just right on my terra it will come unglued from my rifle and cook me breakfast also.my wife would be jealous if she knew the things my terra could do.all this time i thought i had a cheap scope.you guys are awesome.

the bottom line is i needed a scope that would define antlers a little better towards the last 10.minutes of daylight.my buddy has a zeiss victory that i used on his 7mag a couple times and there was a huge difference compared to my terra.
My eyes are perfectly fine.im a full time professional tattoo artist that requires my eyes

20/20 vision doesn't mean that your night vision is worth a schit, unless you tattoo folks in the dark.

If you want a new scope, buy one. The scope that you have will work just fine through legal shooting light.

Oh, and if you can't discern antlers with the scope, use a set of binos. They work better than scopes anyway for such purposes.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A LEU fx3 6x42 with a HD seems bright to me and easier than most to resolve a low light sight picture. I am sure there are brighter hunting rifle scopes out there, but curious, how does this particular scope stack up in low light resolution compared to others in the tests John Barsness conducts? I believe he runs it on a point scale. Also, which particular scope makes and models score the highest in his testing??

I'm sure the reticle design plays a huge roll in this equation and final ranking as I've personally experienced some scopes having good optics which were difficult to use in low light because the reticle was difficult to resolve, vs scopes having a slightly lesser optic ability but the reticle was easy to define.

Thanks for any input smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
IC B2

T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Originally Posted by 4ager

20/20 vision doesn't mean that your night vision is worth a schit, unless you tattoo folks in the dark.

If you want a new scope, buy one. The scope that you have will work just fine through legal shooting light.

Oh, and if you can't discern antlers with the scope, use a set of binos. They work better than scopes anyway for such purposes.

i dont need hunting lessons or did i remember asking for them.i only asked if there was a low light difference between a swarvo z3 and z5.in most of my hunting applications i dont have time to check a buck with binos than grab gun than shoot.when i see brown i wanna grab my gun size him.up and shoot if hes a shooter.the last buck i killed this year was at 300 yards in a cutover.
didnt realize so many people was so sensitive to there specific name brand.i have killed some good deer with the terra i just want something a little better.sorry for asking you guys for an opinion.
If i wanted hunting lessons i woukd not have posted in the optics section.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by tatsoul; 03/30/15.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice cull buck

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's a nice 8. Congrats. Tiny brow tines, not a lot of mass, decent spread (depending upon where you hunt) and mismatched G3s. What did it score (B&C); my guess is somewhere around 130 gross. Oh, and 300 whole yards across a cutover, too? Wow. Welcome to the f'king club of make a decent mid-range shot on a good buck.

Get your ass off your shoulders, and maybe you'll get some suggestions.

Binos work better in low light than scopes. That's just simple physics and easily proven. That you WANT to grab the gun and shoot, vs checking them through binos says it all. That's a preference, not a mandate. You do have time (many, many people do it every year), you just choose to not take that time and rush to taking the shot.

I could give a f'k about name brands on scopes or much else, and if you want a new scope then just buy the damn thing. The Terra is a good scope; not great, but good and plenty good enough for 99% of what needs to get done. If you're not happy with it, fine, but the scope ain't the problem; it's scope envy (by you of your buddy's scope) that's the problem. Admit that, buy what he has or try to "one up him" and move on.

This schit is only as hard as you make it, and damn if you ain't trying.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
So i went back and looked at my zeiss terra.i believe i found the secret button.after i pushed it and looked in the scope i saw where jimmy hoffa is burried and it told me who started the chicago fire.just when i thought i had a cheap scope.i called zeiss and told to stop production on the hd5 and all the victory scopes cause the terra was the shiznits.
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
You may not need hunting lessons but you obviously didn't spend much time in English classes.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The secret button is the one out front of the objective. Flip that one, so the cap goes up, and it'll do you a lot more good that whining about being envious of your buddy's scope.

T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
The secret button is the one out front of the objective. Flip that one, so the cap goes up, and it'll do you a lot more good that whining about being envious of your buddy's scope.

Sounds like to me your to poor to have any decent equipment oter than garage sale hand me downs and yard sale crap so ill just take it you cant afford a decent scope so you have to beat someone else down that wants a good piece of glass to justify you using 200 dollar bushnells.i get it.not mad at you bro.you obviously did not or could not answer my original question so ill just leave it at that..your opinion is not going to make or break me.i could have asked a furniture salesman the question and got a better answer than asking you

Last edited by tatsoul; 03/30/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're basically a fool. Currently running FX-IIIs, IORs, and a few others in house right now. I've had and run Zeiss, Swaros, Leicas, and quite a few more. I don't shoot schit scopes, and I don't have a problem with my night vision either. It ain't about what I'm using, because my gear works and I haven't a problem with it well beyond 300 and well past legal shooting light.

I answered your question; you just don't like the answer being the truth - that is that the scope you have will be fine, but you want another scope because you're envious of the one your buddy has. So, go get the damn thing and quit your whining.

Now, back to that decent 8; scored what, 130ish B&C, gross?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
That deer ain't even 120

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I was guessing 130, gross, not net. The mismatched G3s and stumpy brow tines limit any greater potential score. Not much mass.

T
tatsoul Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
You're basically a fool. Currently running FX-IIIs, IORs, and a few others in house right now. I've had and run Zeiss, Swaros, Leicas, and quite a few more. I don't shoot schit scopes, and I don't have a problem with my night vision either. It ain't about what I'm using, because my gear works and I haven't a problem with it well beyond 300 and well past legal shooting light.

I answered your question; you just don't like the answer being the truth - that is that the scope you have will be fine, but you want another scope because you're envious of the one your buddy has. So, go get the damn thing and quit your whining.

Now, back to that decent 8; scored what, 130ish B&C, gross?
128 5/8..For Braggs Alabama thats a good deer.Biggest deer killed in the club in over 3 years so hardly a cull buck..
Im still trying to figure out why are you so hostile about someone wanting to use better glass.By your own words you have some high end glass but you think no one else is allowed to have it?Im trying to get a handle on this.My buddy has a nice scope so i guess according to you im not allowed to have a nice scope because you think the one i have is more than enough to do what i need to do.So glad we met.I guess ill just hold on to the zeiss terra.iLL BUY 3 MORE OF EM FOR WHAT THE SWARVO will cost and just mount them on all my guns for now on.Thank you so much.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

Sounds like to me your to poor to have any decent equipment oter than garage sale hand me downs and yard sale crap so ill just take it you cant afford a decent scope so you have to beat someone else down that wants a good piece of glass to justify you using 200 dollar bushnells.i get it.not mad at you bro.you obviously did not or could not answer my original question so ill just leave it at that..your opinion is not going to make or break me.i could have asked a furniture salesman the question and got a better answer than asking you

How's the weather in Fort Walton today, Will? It is Will, right?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not hostile about you wanting to get a scope because your buddy has one. I could give a schit whether you use a Hubble or irons; whatever floats your boat. You're pissy because folks are saying "the scope you have will work fine" and not giving you support in your scope envy decision. There's no "allowance" asked for or given, but there's no glad-handing your decision to upgrade because you got glass envy, either.

Buy the Swaro and carry on; it's your money and this schit is only has hard as you make it.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
One of my most accurate and used rifles wears a Burris 30mm...but I do 90% of my hunting in the am.
I know many guys who sit in box's on food plots and power lines and shoot deer at the last minutes of daylight.
I have little interest in that style so I done need a 56mm trijicon.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
oddly enough I can shoot my 24mm objective 1-6 VX6 with its heavy black reticle just about as late as an older Kahles 3.5-10x50 American, but I put a #4 in the Kahles as the original Kahles reticle left a lot to be desired shooting after sunset. The 1.5-6 x 42 Victory HT is pretty good as well, with the great illumination system in it, I cannot imagine needing greater than 6X for eastern deer hunting. I also have a few of the older Conquest 2.5 x 8 x 32 scopes and the black reticle in those work for as long as I want to hunt. The huge deal is good binoculars, I can see well after dark with a pair of Victory 8x42's way long after the scope is useless I can still see the corn under my feeder and see pig movement. I also know that for pig hunting, at some point you will need a gun mounted red light but then any good scope will do.

Edited to add, one of my brightest scopes is the 6X meopro, sadly it does not say Sh-tt and Bendover on it.

Last edited by jimmyp; 03/30/15.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

445 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,119 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,168
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.