Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Dale, Don't forget about air guns. Lots of high quality ones out there. They are not just for kids anymore. Lots of fun and cheap to shoot. You can also use them in the back yard without disturbing the neibors. Glad you are doing better from your illness.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've got a buddy looking for a trapper 30-30...

LOL
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad your doing well, treat yourself to something very nice!

If you're serious about an M1A, a friend of mine is selling his with magazines, etc.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
At the risk of sounding flippant...

[Linked Image]

Have traveled your path in several ways. Open a new door, you'll probably enjoy it.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Blackwater
Dale, lots of questions, and as you say, the field is pretty wide open. FWIW, to shoot a lot and be fun, you can't go wrong with a .22 CF, like the .223. For even more fun on the cheap, and to help learn to shoot in the wind and allow for it, the .22 Hornet would be a real challenge at distance. From there on up, it's all a matter of personal preference, and surely there's SOME caliber that will peak your interest? Sometimes an about face from what you're used to can provide a good spark to ignite your passions again, like maybe going to a .45/70. Getting into casting your own bullets for it can get to be a pursuit all on its own, too. Lubes, sizing, bullet weights and designs, performance at long range - all this can add a LOT of spice to your shooting, and if you ever get to shoot with the sun behind you, you can actually see those silvery bullet bases as they arc toward the target, and THAT adds a neat aspect to your shooting and understanding of ballistics that few other pursuits can match. We ALL do better when we're drawn a picture, or see a graphic example of the theories that are written out on paper and mulled over

The key here is that there IS no "wrong" answer. I know guys who've killed many deer with the .22 LR, and up to the heavy loaded .45/70 and some .338 WM's. All eat venison, and regularly so. They just have to hunt differently when they use the itty bitty calibers.

With the cost of .22 LR's having skyrocketed, going to a RF won't save much money, and if you cast your own bullets, you can shoot .38 Spec. and quite a few other calibers cheaper than .22 LR now - not entirely a bad deal. Some barrels are available for your Contender in .38 Spec., and a better plinker you'll not find. The long barrels are a lot quieter than pistol barrels, too, and in particular the revolvers with their barrel/cylinder gaps. For the Contender, go to edstcs.com and see if there's not some barrels there (note the plural!) that pique your interest.

And FWIW, I've noted that when a man gets bored with his shooting, it's usually a good idea to get into something different, and long range rifle shooting is one of the most interesting and challenging pursuits ever. You never really master it. You just go and play the game and see how you do that particular day, with whatever winds exist for that time.

And like you, I had a recent face-to-face with my own mortality, and it DOES change a man's perspective. Nothing quite like finally realizing we're not REALLY 10 ft. tall, bullet proof and immortal! It makes a man think, and it's really hard to find thoughts today that are really appropriate to that, but if I may, let me recommend:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-C-Le...amp;keywords=cs+lewis+signature+classics

He was an atheist and set out to PROVE his stance was right, but instead, he got converted. Dealing with one's own mortality ain't no small thing! It calls for sobriety and serious consideration, and that merits some legitimate exploration. Lewis is the best you can do in that regard, though G.K. Chesterton is a mighty force in that regard as well, but he writes short essays mostly, and doesn't have time or space to get into things to the depth that Lewis does. And the best part is they're both so enjoyably readable. They don't care what the Truth is, they just want the REAL thing, and that alone is rare these days. Just a FWIW for your consideration .... and enjoyment, to boot. Good luck. I wish you well.

Well thought out and insightful post here!

Regarding caliber/guns, I've got an itch for a .17 HMR. Put a SS scope on there and twist that turret for fun!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Perspective. Priorities. It's not uncommon for things that previously brought us joy to stop bringing us joy.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 65 invisible), 2,654 guests, and 1,399 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,213
Posts18,485,459
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.