Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
All: Thanks for the additional replies.

I agree with the idea that a scope is an aiming device, not a telescope, and have never felt the need for huge magnification for my limit of 300 yards or so. I see lots of responses here from folks who shoot lower powers.

I shoot a lot of rifles at longer ranges, both at targets and on hunts. I've just never shot this 375 H&H with this scope past 100 yds. But I have shot groups of less than an inch with the set-up. I will shoot it longer just to confirm my comfort.

The reticle may be a concern, but I've shot very small groups with it at 100, and don't have any small animals on my list. My primary goal is to share this hunt with my sons, alternating going out with them. I'll probably shoot two or three animals myself, but nothing smaller than a Red Haartebeest. I shot the smaller animals that I wanted (Impala, Springbok, Bushbuck, Mountain Reedbuck, Warthog) last time.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Farthest for me has been about 250. That was on a buck.

That's what I call the ultimate field position. Shooting a Deer at 250 with a 3x, while on a Buck. grin I gotta lot of practice to do.

Last edited by battue; 04/02/15.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Back in the day I killed a couple of groundhogs with my old k3 weaver One was about 200 and the other about 300 yards. Also blasted a lot of rocks at a old strip mine site out to probably 300 yds. I would expect a newer Leupold would provide similar performance with brighter sharper images. The one caveat might be if you have a really heavy reticule but on big game you should be well equipped. Never been but it's my impression that guides in Africa generally tend to hunt a bit closer than we do on Internet forums. My friends that have been to Africe tend to talk about shots at 50 yds to 150 yds.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
There goes John again bragging about shooting game at 300 yards+ w/open sights. Hell I have trouble killing them at 100 w/a scope. powdr

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Farthest for me has been about 250. That was on a buck.

That's what I call the ultimate field position. Shooting a Deer at 250 with a 3x, while on a Buck. grin I gotta lot of practice to do.

Battue once again i am reminded...you can't get sloppy with sentence structure and how you say things on here. My bad and I got called..... grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
grin

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by backcountryal
Have used a 3x [or less] for the past 38 years and never felt underscoped out to 350. Nearly all my variables are shot on 3x as well. Spend some range time and practice practice pratice.

+1

Absolutely. I've shot scores of deer with a 3x Leupold some at ranges well over 300 yards. I no longer have that scope but I rarely use any variable scope I own over 4x.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
WoodsyAl, I would be comfortable out to 400 yards with a flat shooting round like a .270 Winchester and a bit less with something like the .375 that you are using.

About ten years ago I shot a deer with a .270 that had a Leupold 3.5-10 with a duplex reticle. I shot from a ranged distance of 381 yards and at the shot the deer didn't fall so I fired again and it dropped immediately. Both shots were well placed. The funny thing is that in my excitement it never occurred to me to dial the scope up from 3.5x. As Mule Deer points out, the 3x Leupold is actually a 3.4 so it is a really interesting comparison in my mind.

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Fraser
WoodsyAl, I would be comfortable out to 400 yards with a flat shooting round like a .270 Winchester and a bit less with something like the .375 that you are using.

About ten years ago I shot a deer with a .270 that had a Leupold 3.5-10 with a duplex reticle. I shot from a ranged distance of 381 yards and at the shot the deer didn't fall so I fired again and it dropped immediately. Both shots were well placed. The funny thing is that in my excitement it never occurred to me to dial the scope up from 3.5x. As Mule Deer points out, the 3x Leupold is actually a 3.4 so it is a really interesting comparison in my mind.

Thanks! The more I think about it, I just cant see how an actual magnification of 3.4X isn't plenty for deer-sized game to the distances I would shoot in Africa.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
pretty easy. however far you are capable with it.

No more no less.

I like a lot of X at times, but I"ve killed out past 500 with irons easily too....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by Ringman
How far would you shoot game with a Leupold 3X?

I wouldn't shoot at game with any 3X scope. The minimum scope I use is a 4-16X.

You are definitely challenged or incredibly blind.

I like liberals-------------------------------------they make good bear bait! grin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My stable currently has two 3X scopes, El Paso Weaver and M8 Leupold. I do not see the power as a limiting factor, so long as target visibility is OK. Both are duplex. One is on a .30-30, the other is slated for a 9,3x62. Target size, velocity, and trajectory is important to distance. I like low power scopes. They frequently keep me from trying things that the cartridge was not designed to do. I have a bunch of 4X scopes as well.

jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I certainly wouldn't burden myself with a larger variable as either model 3x is about perfect for big game IMO with the ruggedness to withstand some knocks. It's my go to scope for big game.

I have several M8s with one on a Talkeetna 375 and a CZ 9.3 as well as the new model on another CZ 9.2x62. I thought the German reticle to be a view hog but easily took a large bull moose at 380 yards last fall. Having said that, my longest shot was on a crippled moose with peep sights.

I have hunted with younger hunters that insisted on having a Hubble scope on their rifle and they took forever to get a shot off........were they trying to weasel the reticle in between hairs?.......I suspect their high magnification was making it difficult to get a good eye relief for a full sight picture.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I have several Leupold 3x scopes, they're one of my favorites. I've never felt handicapped by low power scopes. The last caribou I killed was at 250 yards with a 2.5 Weaver post and crosshair. The shot went where I intended it and the caribou dropped.

I think too many people get hung up on the telescope aspect of a rifle scope and forget that it's primary function is a sight, not a spotting scope or binocular. At the ranges most game is killed a 3x scope is no handicap.

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
250-300 yards if I had a very steady rest.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
250-300 yards if I had a very steady rest.

Second.

I feel very comfortable at that magnification even in low light in this range with 55 year old though still 20/20 eyes. Zeiss Conquest at 15 mins either side of sunrise or sunset, not so much outside of that.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
My second deer (1962) was across a canyon with a 2.5 Weaver with a lee dot on a 300 Savage. I estimated about 275 yards. Must have been close to that as the bullet wrecked the top heart and lungs.

What did I learn? The rig was appropriate, and never shoot anything other than a trophy across a canyon. Recovery was challenging without horses.

jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
The first F'in thing I'd do with the 3X scope (or any other scope) would be to clamp it in a gun vise ( with the bolt out), and lock in on a target 300 yards or so away. (The 300 yards doesn't have to be measured with a micrometer- anything about that distance is fine).
Then, I'd move my head slowly from side to side, and see how much parallax the scope has. I'd do this because I've seen some scopes, including Leupold that have LOTS of parallax at 300 yards, and some that have almost none. If the scope doesn't have a lot of parallax, the 3X will take you a long way out. I have killed antelope past 400 yards with a 4x, and woodchucks past 200 with an old Weaver 2 1/2.
As far as the heavy duplex being a hindrance, unless African game animals come with one inch bulls eyes and grid squares painted on their sides, the heavy duplex will be much more of a help than a hinderance in the field.
When you are sighting in the 3X Leupold, if you use black or blue tape vertically and horizontally "outline" the reticle at whatever range you are shooting, you'll be surprised at how precisely you can aim.
Good luck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've killed deer at 250-275 with a Weaver K2.5 before. I'd stretch a 3x Leupold at least that far on deer.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
....And they sit so light on top of the rifle. They work past the average range most shoot big game, carry easier for a walk around hunter and in most cases will often improve balance.

Fixed 3, 4 and 6x offer much, but most refuse to go there.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1Longbow, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 44 invisible), 3,266 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,731
Posts18,535,078
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.