-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This has worked for me about 50% of the time, on fire ants...

Take a water hose, turn it on full blast, and start washing out the nest. Keep working the hose into the ground while watching for the queen to 'wash up'. The queen will be a lot bigger with a white abdomen. Kill her and the rest of the nest will die/leave in about a day.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Id have soaked them in ajax dish soap to cut their surface oil and drown them. Ive seen too many balls of them floating in lakes and rivers after a rise.

PS, Ajax is one third the price of fragrance filled Dawn.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We've used icing sugar mixed with borax. Sprinkle it on top of the colony. I've heard that cornmeal works too. Something about it swelling when they eat it, which kills them. Never tried it though.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How about a nice, hot, day or two long,campfire?

[the member formerly known as fluffy}
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Go to your local co-op and get some acephate, it's a white powder ant killer that smells horrible. Treat the mound with that and keep the kids and dogs away for a couple of days, then it'll be fine to let them back there.

You can screw around with home remedies till the cows come home or get something that'll actually work. I'd rather just use something that works and get it fixed, then the kids and dogs can play in peace.

http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/acephate-ext.html

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Watch to see their most active period, then a good dose of Amdro right around the hole. They pack down, and it's gone in thirty minutes....no more ants.
Don't make mountain out of an ant hill, simple, fast, safe if that kind of thing worries you?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know how well it would work outside but a 50/50 mix of icing sugar and baking soda got rid of the ants in my house.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by eyeball
Hard headed? cool

PS, Borax mixed with sugar and cornmeal. wink

Originally Posted by SamSteele
We've used icing sugar mixed with borax. Sprinkle it on top of the colony. I've heard that cornmeal works too. Something about it swelling when they eat it, which kills them. Never tried it though.

SS

I've used Borax around the house for ants and it works every time.

Just need to figure out if they are after "sugar" or "fat/protein". Borax with sugar, or borax with peanut butter has always worked. It takes a few days, but the ants take it back to the nest where they all eat it. Slow acting is actually a good thing here.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Perma-Guard pure Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth;

Link

Phil

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
pm sent

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
This should work and the kids will enjoy the heck out of it.

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pahntr760
Well, right after I set-up our kids new swing-set, we notice a decently large ant nest right close to the swing-set. I want to get rid of them without any chemical treatment that would cause me to not allow my kids and pups out there. I read very hot water will do it, we tried that but the nest must be too deep. I've read of mixtures with Borax that are said to work, but haven't tried that yet...Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Water and Borax are chemicals.

Put ant stakes out so that the ants will carry the poison back to the nest and kill of the whole nest.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Supplies Needed

1/2 cup of sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons Borax (find Borax on Amazon with free shipping here!)
1 1/2 cups warm water
Cotton balls or paper towel

Instructions

1. Mix the Borax and sugar together until well combined.

2. Add the mixture to your warm water and mix constantly until the powder has been completely dissolved.

3. Seal the mixture in a jar or container for future use, and use only what you need in the next steps (and save the rest). It is important that you clearly label the jar, as it will just look like water. Do not leave this where children can get to it. (Because this is such an easy solution to make, however, I only kept what I made until after the ants had been gone for a week or more.)

4. Fill some jar lids, milk caps, or other shallow containers with cotton balls or a wad of paper towel.

5. Add the sugar-Borax solution to the prepared lids making sure to soak the cotton balls (or paper towel).

6. Wait. It may take the ants a while to find the solution. But, once they do, let them feast (and take the solution back to their home).

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Am I the only one here who has ever used Amdro??? Maybe yall's ants are just pickier than mine. Sprinkle a few teaspoonfuls on the mound, wait a couple days, and they take it to the queen. Problem solved. I used to sprinkle it around the perimeter of the house,too. Ants seem to do pretty good at finding it and taking it to nearby holes/mounds.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Drink a quart of beer and pizz on 'em!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have been told Simple Green works to control sugar ants.

Going to give it a try. Got them all over my kitchen counters.

Virgil B.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
This is a timely thread - yesterday I found a fairly large fire ant nest/pile on our place and was told by all of the visiting relatives that I need to do something about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fipronil and be done. All these stupid home remedies are nothing more than feel good hippy bullschidt. None will work and by the time you're on the third one you've created a toxic waste dump of household cleaners that are worse for your kids health than just using a good registered product in the first place. Call in a pro if you don't want to do the application.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Just dig all the way back in the old shed and find that bag of chlordane powder.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had good results with vinegar. Dumped about a half-gallon on an anthill then on the following day scattered it a bit and dumped on another half-gallon. The ants did not return.

One unerring mark of the love of the truth is not entertaining any proposition with greater assurance than the proofs it is built upon will warrant. John Locke, 1690
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1lessdog, 1936M71, 1800topsoil, 007FJ, 160user, 17CalFan, 65 invisible), 2,559 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,692
Posts18,494,109
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.