Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9737780 04/05/15
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Does Hoppes 9 contain any rust preventer in it and is there any problem with letting it sit in a bore for any length of time? It seems to me if it contains a oil that prevents rust why not just leave a light coat of it in the bore and patch it out before you shot the same as you do to a oiled barrel.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes, it does provide rust protection.

No, you can leave it in forever.

Yes. Run a clean patch through the bore before shooting, whether the rifle has sat for a month or five years. If the patch comes out dirty or green, I would run another wet patch followed by a dry patch or two to clear any residue. Then go shooting.

Many people have used nothing but Hoppes #9, just as you describe, for decades with no problems.

Rifle loonys like to make things more complicated than they need to be.

Last edited by nifty-two-fifty; 04/05/15.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
D
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks...Hoppes 9 protects and cleans while your rifle sits. I do not think I would put A rifle in to long time storage with just Hoppes in the bore for that I like to clean down to bare steal and oil heavy. I stand the rifle muzzle down for a day or so to let the oil drain out then put it in the far dark corner of the safe.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For long-term storage, remember that synthetic oils maintain a film nearly forever, whereas mineral oils don't maintain that sort of film strength and eventually strip off. I am a big fan of Mobil-1.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Ditto the thought that sometimes we overthink stuff. While I never rely on Hoppes for long term protection (RIG gets my nod), there have been occasional lapses of memory when the stuff stayed in the bore forever. Tight patches revealed nice shiny steel with no discernible issues. Certainly not a replacement for more effective protocols in the area of bore cleaning, but for most of what we do it's plenty good enough IMO.

Actually, in recent years I've been using Ed's Red as a Hoppes substitute. Not because it's that much better but mainly because I know Ed Harris, the inventor, plus the stuff cuts plastic fouling in shotgun bores better than Hoppes. I wouldn't lose any sleep if Hoppes was the only bore solvent to be had. (It even works as an aftershave for those rugged outdoors types who want to impress the women. smile )

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by nifty-two-fifty

Many people have used nothing but Hoppes #9, just as you describe, for decades with no problems.

Rifle loonys like to make things more complicated than they need to be.

NO...you don't say!! grin grin
Originally Posted by gnoahhh
I wouldn't lose any sleep if Hoppes was the only bore solvent to be had.
(It even works as an aftershave for those rugged outdoors types who want to impress the women. smile )

Yeah, I'd say so. laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
IMHO Hoppes #9 is not nearly as good as many other choices out there for cleaning or protecting. But I sure do like the smell!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I agree on the smell although they changed it a while back to
remove some cancer causing substance. Hooppes is a hangover from
the days that it was believed that nitro based powders left
nitric acid that ate up the barrel.

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
I clean with Hoppes and leave it in the barrel indefinitely. Never had a rust problem. I don't remove it before I shoot either. I've never had the first shot go to a noticeably different point of aim, including 600 yard target shooting.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have read that the distinctive smell of #9 originally came from Banana oil. Muddy

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I am an Ed's Red fan. What I find is that it tends to keep working longer on any residual grime. When I put my deer rifles away after season ends, I usually run Ed's through, wait two weeks and run it through again and clean until the patches are clean. When I pull them out in the summer, the Ed's Red has loosened up additional dirt. Using Hoppes, I never saw that long term action.

This will be my first year using Dyna Bore Coat. We'll see if there is a difference come summer.

BTW: Bob, my old fart retired gun editor buddy, used to have his wife, Esther, put a dab of Hoppes #9 behind each ear, especially when they were out partying with the gun glitterati.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
"glitterati"

laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Sometime back in the late sixty's or early seventy's Elmer Keith recommended Hoppes 9 for for 2 reasons. First a light coating would protect a bore from corrosion and second the first shot out of the bore would land where the rifle was sighted for. I've been following his advise for more than 40 years because he was dead on.
Doc

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." Thomas Jefferson, 1776
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Hoppes #9 is all I use, no need for this fancy bore cleaning stuff, I use so much of it I buy it 5 gallons at a time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I was told the old #9 contained Benezene. After the formula changed I worked where I had access to Benezene and always added a couple of ounces to mine. This was before it would hurt you. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It also had a little ammonia, as I recall. They changed the formula after bringing out the No. 9 Bench Rest Copper Gun Bore Cleaner, apparently because they wanted shooters to buy the "old" No. 9 for powder fouling, and the Bench Rest for copper fouling.

The old formula wasn't bad for getting copper out. It took a while (like some of today's slower formulas) but it did the job. Now it's basically a powder fouling solvent and perfume.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Which should be dealt with first, powder fouling or copper?

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Well, normally powder fouling's on top of copper fouling, though I have encountered a few bores so fouled powder and copper were in alternating layers--which I have called "geologic" bore fouling, partly because it takes so long to dig the stuff out.

But unless that happens, I generally deal with both at once, with Montana X-Treme Bore Solvent, which seems to be pretty good at dealing with both.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why not mix the #9 and the #9 Copper Cleaner 1/2 & 1/2 and have something closer to the original?

"Not a Gun Free Zone"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't know if it will harm a barrel or not, but I love the smell and wear it like cologne. The women always ask what fragrance I have on. LOL

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

135 members (10gaugemag, 673, 79S, 450hunter, 22 invisible), 1,949 guests, and 1,049 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,478
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.