Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Originally Posted by Steelhead
As someone said, I don't think there are any more 'poor' people today than when I was a kid 40 years ago. Just more self absorbed people that don't give a shiet.

i just puked in my mouth, but i agree with you.

I grew up poor, but I didn't know it. I lacked lots of stuff, but didn't know it. What I didn't lack was 3 squares a day and a lot of my dad's time and love.

Kids don't need anything more than that.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I buy a box of Raimen noodles every other week.

I also pack a big lunch with extras.

I do that just to spite Michelle Obama.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Doesn,t look like Michelle Obama has missed any meals !!

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Many people have misplaced priorities. I'd venture to say most of the parents of those kids could pay to feed their kids if they didn't spend their money on themselves.

On minimum wage income or slightly above it, it's pretty hard to indulge spending on yourself. My daughter teaches in an elementary school in affluent Colorado in which 43% of the kids get free lunches.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by rong

how is this possible in America in 2015?

Mama's a crack whore that won't get out of bed long enough to make her kids breakfast.

Maybe true in some cases, but a rather simplistic explanation of many cases.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Same with folks that can't pay the power bills to us on time or at all.

They drive in, in a somewhat older caddy, with new paint, and those new damn hubs that stick out like cutters, with 22s or whatever they are that cost more than big mud grips would on my F350, smoking a cig, talking on an iphone.

Yeah, nope you don't get an extension and I don't care how cold or hot its gonna get.

As to not holding the parents sins againts the kids, yes I get that, but as Scott noted, somewhere it has to stop. When it does its gonna be a bit ugly, but its past time to stop it and tighten the ropes a LOT.

If we'd quit paying em to have as many kids as they could and clipped every last one of them would be a heck of s tart.

In the wild populations have cycles... we are at a high, I can only hope in one way that we fall to a low soon.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think most of you guys hit the nail on the head....parents are using up the benefits before feeding kids. That said- and I know I'll catch hell for this- I defy you to find me a truly hungry child in America.
Its the battle cry of the liberals " What about the children?" In the past few years Ive seen two shows put on by the liberal press about hungry children in America. Show #1 literally couldn't find any, Show #2 found some they thought were hungry in appalachia, but the kids, to an individual, were well clothed and fat....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
Many people have misplaced priorities. I'd venture to say most of the parents of those kids could pay to feed their kids if they didn't spend their money on themselves.

On minimum wage income or slightly above it, it's pretty hard to indulge spending on yourself. My daughter teaches in an elementary school in affluent Colorado in which 43% of the kids get free lunches.

If the parent is working two jobs, doesn't own a car, doesn't own a cell phone, doesn't have cable tv then I'm all for the school providing lunches for the kids.

If however the parent has tatoos, cigarettes, beer, drives a car, has a cell phone, cable tv etc and junior isn't getting three squares, then the government has already done too much to help.

I have no doubt a small percentage of the population needs all the help it can get, but a large percentage of the "poor" are that way because of poor choices they make. There is a big difference between can't work, and won't work.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 7mmStwer
HHmmmm....if you can't care for your kids, why did you have them???

When you don't work , you have plenty of time to [bleep].

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"There is a big difference between can't work, and won't work."

Agree that there is a percentage who works hard (but might be unemployed from time-to-time) bur falls on hard times.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

And our society encourages and subsidizes that....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by djs
"There is a big difference between can't work, and won't work."

Agree that there is a percentage who works hard (but might be unemployed from time-to-time) bur falls on hard times.

Those are the ones that welfare was supposed to help. However, for the vast majority of those drawing welfare today it's become a lifestyle, not a safety net to help them back on their feet.

I live in Mississippi, the epicenter of the welfare lifestyle, I see it every day. I'm not being facetious when I say I cannot remember the last time I saw a "person of color" purchase groceries without using an EBT card. I really can't remember seeing that happen.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This, after 50 years of the War on Poverty?

Sad state of affairs but due in large part to a welfare state that rewards women having multiple children out of wedlock, the breakdown of the traditional family, and the largesse of government entitlement programs.

Pretty pathetic testament to left wing policies.Keep electing those democrats and we are guaranteed more and more of this.Any problem the federal Government seeks to remedy only insures that we are going to have more and more of the same problem.

The article, of course, is just a way to drum up sympathy as we picture thousands of kids starving without the intervention of Big Brother to keep them fed.

Pathetic.Let the parents get a damned job. Nobody fed my kids except me.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My wife teaches High School. She has a food drawer that always has inexpensive microwavable food in it. Every few days a student will come in and not have anything for lunch -- Not because they can't afford it - because they forget to bring it.

Statistics are just statistics. Some kids have crappy parents. But kids will also be kids.

My own 8th grader forgot his lunch the other day. He had to scavenge from his buddies. Lesson learned.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
They (liberals) want us to believe this is where we are today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is where we are

[Linked Image]

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by djs

If the parent is working two jobs, doesn't own a car, doesn't own a cell phone, doesn't have cable tv then I'm all for the school providing lunches for the kids.

If however the parent has tatoos, cigarettes, beer, drives a car, has a cell phone, cable tv etc and junior isn't getting three squares, then the government has already done too much to help.

I have no doubt a small percentage of the population needs all the help it can get, but a large percentage of the "poor" are that way because of poor choices they make. There is a big difference between can't work, and won't work.

You might be amazed at how many homeless parents have cell phones, cigarettes, and other non-essentials. They choose to not deny themselves, and will often use their kids as an excuse to get help. trouble is they won't use the "help" on their kids after they get it. For whatever reason, it's difficult for some to get beyond themselves.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ingwe. In my public accounting days I use to audit school lunch programs in Appalachia. I would work in the lunch rooms and watch as the kids came thru. To a school there were basically 3 groups of kinds.
1 Kids like ours they were cleaned up , had decent clothes and would eat but selectively pick the good stuff and leav e the rest
2 Kids that were a little less affluent wearing maybe hand me downs but their moms had at least cleaned them up and combed their hair. This group generally cleaned their plate but would be a little selective.
3 these were the kids that were raised by wolves. Same dirty clothes every day and would eat everything plus whatever their friends would share. If it was pickle beets and spaghetti didn't matter they were just hungry.

I was also bible school bus driver for the church. We would go to the subsidized housing developments and pickup. A lot of those kids were hungry . It got to the point I convinced the minister to feed the kids as soon as they got there and I also approached the area ministerial assoc. and convinced them to try and coordinate their bible schools so that they wouldn't overlap. That way the kids could go to bible school about 6 wks each summer and get fed.

Last edited by bangeye; 04/06/15.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by WeimsnKs

And our society encourages and subsidizes that....

True. These kids get sent to public schools where they get "dumbed" down even more. They often become part of the "entitled" group, and end up draining the system because it's all that is modeled in front of them. ..a perpetual cycle. This is all part of the plan and why Zero got in office. ..keep dumbing people down....make them dependent upon the govt....take away the rights of the people....take away freedom of religion..

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Interesting.

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-03-31/pdf/2015-07358.pdf

"INCOME ELIGIBILITY GUIDELINES
[Effective from July 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016)
48 Contiguous States, District of Columbia, Guam and Territories"

Family of four, max gross income of $44,863 to qualify for reduced priced meals.

(That's $21.58 per hr @40 hr week)

Family of four, max gross income of $31,525 to qualify for free meals.

(That's $15.18 per hr @ 40 hr week)

http://www.fns.usda.gov/school-meals/income-eligibility-guidelines

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I retired in 2010 after 30 years of teaching, some observations. Schools are segregated now, not necessarily by race, but by wealth. Parents with money send kids to private schools. Public schools are increasingly becoming the place where only the poor send their kids.

When I graduated HS in 1976 we had a mix of both poor and well to do kids. I know a lot here really push private or home schooling. Done right, I have no objections, but it is rarely done right in my experience.

I don't believe the private schools provide any better education, they just get the better kids, and parents. I've never seen any one home schooled that ever prospered. Bright kids in public schools who want to learn do just as well on testing as those in the best private schools. It is the large number of kids who don't care that pull the overall average scores down in public schools.

Georgia is ranked near the bottom in standardized testing, Connecticut near the top. But kids who rank in the top 10% in GA score just as well as the top 10% from Connecticut. It is the other 90% that make the difference.

Lots of parents don't give a damn. I coached and saw lots of great kids who had parents who never once came to a game. I can't imagine a parent doing that. At the last home game of the season every year each senior and their parents are introduced and walk onto the field to be recognized. Every single year we had a coach walk with at least one kid because the parents didn't care enough to come.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

388 members (264mag, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 33 invisible), 2,239 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,676
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.