Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by JoeBob

In any case, timber, agriculture, and the discovery of massive oil deposits in Texas and Oklahoma would have seen the South's fortunes rise as they have today...but probably much sooner.

Maybe when the oil was discovered, Texas and Oklahoma would have succeeded from the CSA to keep from sharing.

GB4

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by acy

In any case, timber, agriculture, and the discovery of massive oil deposits in Texas and Oklahoma would have seen the South's fortunes rise as they have today...but probably much sooner.

Maybe when the oil was discovered, Texas and Oklahoma would have succeeded from the CSA to keep from sharing.

Maybe so. I'd be fine if they did it right now. We really don't need the rest of you.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Consider Texas for a moment. What the frick is the federal government doing for it right now? I'm sure some Yankee will get on here and make some crack about becoming part of Mexico. Well, what the frick do you think is happening right now? And instead of trying to help us stem the tide, the Feds take Texas, Arizona, and any other border state to court if they try to do DAMN THING to stem the tide and keep from being overrun from the south.

Frick you and your damned Yankee government. There are thousands of people who are damned afraid to even go outside their homes at night for being killed by an illegal or drug mule. There are people who can't check their cows without being armed to the teeth. There are people who see their fences cut, their lands despoiled, and their livestock scattered by what can only be described as hoards of illegals. And your damned Yankee government not only does nothing to stop it, but encourages it and brings its full weight down on those who try to protect themselves.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by acy

Maybe so. I'd be fine if they did it right now. We really don't need the rest of you.

Which is why I keep saying that a weak confederacy consisting of strong states with a history of Secession would have been doomed from the start.
Texas may well have been the first to pull out.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by acy

Which is why I keep saying that a weak confederacy consisting of strong states with a history of Secession would have been doomed from the start.
Texas may well have been the first to pull out.

Or the central government, realizing this fact of life, would have been far more judicious and given much less reason for any state to secede.

Consider the Confederacy to be more like the EU than the United States.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Consider Texas for a moment. What the frick is the federal government doing for it right now? I'm sure some Yankee will get on here and make some crack about becoming part of Mexico. Well, what the frick do you think is happening right now? And instead of trying to help us stem the tide, the Feds take Texas, Arizona, and any other border state to court if they try to do DAMN THING to stem the tide and keep from being overrun from the south.

Frick you and your damned Yankee government. There are thousands of people who are damned afraid to even go outside their homes at night for being killed by an illegal or drug mule. There are people who can't check their cows without being armed to the teeth. There are people who see their fences cut, their lands despoiled, and their livestock scattered by what can only be described as hoards of illegals. And your damned Yankee government not only does nothing to stop it, but encourages it and brings its full weight down on those who try to protect themselves.

You seem to think that just because a person was born in a State that wasn't one of the eleven that formed the CSA, he/she supports the Federal Government across the board. There are many Yankees who would like to see the Federal Government enforce Federal Laws currently on the book to the letter of the law. Illegal immigration has destroyed access to the construction trades where I live and don't even get me started on "states rights" legalization/decriminalization of marijuana in AK, CO, OR, and WA. Heck, Vermont is considering following suit, as a means by which to generate revenue and Vermont already has the highest per capita rate of drug abuse/addiction in the entire U.S.!

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

Last edited by JoeBob; 04/10/15.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 260Remguy

You seem to think that just because a person was born in a State that wasn't one of the eleven that formed the CSA, he/she supports the Federal Government across the board. There are many Yankees who would like to see the Federal Government enforce Federal Laws currently on the book to the letter of the law. Illegal immigration has destroyed access to the construction trades where I live and don't even get me started on "states rights" legalization/decriminalization of marijuana in AK, CO, OR, and WA. Heck, Vermont is considering following suit, as a means by which to generate revenue and Vermont already has the highest per capita rate of drug abuse/addiction in the entire U.S.!

You seem to think that I care what you support "across the board". The fact is, your kind fought my kind so that this central government could have the power it does today. But for that, what you think or feel would have no effect on me whatsoever.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Pray tell what you think "...preserve the Union" means if it doesn't mean drafting large armies, invading heretofore sovereign states, bringing devastation on their populations, and forcing them to remain as vassals to a centralized national government?

Both sides resorted to conscription, and areas of dissent in the South were brutally suppressed on a scale exceeding anything in the North. But it comes down to this; desertion was not nearly the problem among the Union troops that it became for the South. Most of the Union rank and file supported their own cause.

The Confederacy wasn't around long enough, and certainly not at all in peacetime, for its own issues of Central Government vs. States Rights to be sorted out, but certainly the separatist impulses of the member States seriously impaired the overall Confederate war effort.

Birdwatcher

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Pray tell what you think "...preserve the Union" means if it doesn't mean drafting large armies, invading heretofore sovereign states, bringing devastation on their populations, and forcing them to remain as vassals to a centralized national government?

Both sides resorted to conscription, and areas of dissent in the South were brutally suppressed on a scale exceeding anything in the North. But it comes down to this; desertion was not nearly the problem among the Union troops that it became for the South. Most of the Union rank and file supported their own cause.

The Confederacy wasn't around long enough, and certainly not at all in peacetime, for its own issues of Central Government vs. States Rights to be sorted out, but certainly the separatist impulses of the member States seriously impaired the overall Confederate war effort.

Birdwatcher

So, how does any of that respond to the point I made?

And as to suppressing dissent, I'm unaware of a sitting Confederate Congressman being deported because of opposition to the war as was a Union one. Further, I would imagine that the people of New York City would disagree that Lincoln suppression of dissent wasn't brutal.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Pete E
Scotland came pretty close not long ago.

But at what point do you stop? Had Scotland become independent, you would have then seen the centuries old divisions between Scots start to raise its head..Lowlanders v Highlanders...The Islanders v the mainland, not to mention the whole Clan thing...

Sometimes folks have to get past events from 150 years ago and concentrate on making things better in the present..

yeah, but they could have got the british out, and let them settle it themselves.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by Pete E
Scotland came pretty close not long ago.

But at what point do you stop? Had Scotland become independent, you would have then seen the centuries old divisions between Scots start to raise its head..Lowlanders v Highlanders...The Islanders v the mainland, not to mention the whole Clan thing...

Sometimes folks have to get past events from 150 years ago and concentrate on making things better in the present..

Having been raised in New Hampshire, the 9th colony to become a state in the United States of America, I don't ever recall anyone except my Grandmother either talking about or caring about the American Civil War, except on Memorial Day, when the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) made an effort to put bronze flag holders with small American flags on the graves of Civil War veterans, both Union and Confederate. My Grandmother's interest was due to family ties, as she was the unofficial genealogist of her side of the family. Several of her ancestors fought in the Civil War and one, Salmon P. Chase, was a member of President Lincoln's Cabinet. I point this out because although the population of the United State during 1861 thru 1865 was roughly split 70% in the USA and 30% in the CSA, there seems to be very little interest among the descendants of the 70% when compared to the ill feelings still held by descendants of the 30%.

If a reasonably educated group of people can hold a grudge after 150 years, you can see why there will never be peace in most of the less educated world.

Yep.

They are still made that we made them give up chattel slavery.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
… The Depression went unnoticed in the South …

Oh?

We who lived there at the time found it to be most vividly noticeable —
in several very significant and unforgettable respects.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Oh?

Well, then you were obviously rich to begin with, because my one armed great granddaddy kept right on hauling logs and share cropping like always.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a perfect example of what's wrong with the country today. Everyone is divided - thanks in part to politicians and ethnic groups who think holding on to their screwed up heritage is more important than becoming an American.

The country is increasingly becoming "balkanized" - and we know how well that plays out.

Stupidity should be our enemy.

JM

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ken Howell

Oh?

Well, then you were obviously rich to begin with …

Hot nardly.

Dad was a circuit-riding country Methodist pastor.
It was common for him to get paid — if at all —
in such things as okra, collard greens, and turnip greens.

One morning, he spent his entire "fortune" ($1.00)
to put gas in the car to canvass the members for
badly needed money for one very needy church.
At the end of the day, he'd raised exactly $1.00
from all those "po' fo'ks."

For several years, he couldn't afford a car —
walked everywhere — miles and miles, to preach
at several very out-lying country churches.

One very special year, we rejoiced at the news that
the Conference had raised his annual salary to
the regal sum of $750.00 — which he never got all of.

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I would have to argue that point. I for one will never give up my heritage, but that does not make me any less of an American. Only more so, because it gives me roots.

And my heritage is not screwed up. It is what makes us who we are. To deny that is utter folly.

C
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C

Got to be the stupidest thing I have read here in a long time.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by CrowRifle

Got to be the stupidest thing I have read here in a long time.

Because it was already so bad, dummy. The South was in a Depression from about 1863 to 1963.

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 76 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,283 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,891
Posts18,479,187
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.