Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender
If it's rockin'.......

Originally Posted by keystoneben
When I was 18, I bought this 97 Ram Van.
[Linked Image]

Otto is my co-pilot.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
1974 Z-28, 350 CID, 4-barrel, 4-speed. Fast, rough, and thirsty.

If you'd have rolled up against the 1970 1/2 version you'd know the guts were long gone out of that engine by 1974.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Seafire
My first car was a 62 Pontiac Tempest my mom bought me and had me pay the $300 for it... it belonged to an Airman 2nd Class who worked in her office at the Pentagon and he got orders for Vietnam....so he had to unload it quick...

It was red and the paint was all faded and oxidized... It looked like crap.... she hands me the keys and tell me to take it for a spin.... Adding it was "real peppy for a 6 cylinder"....

So I drove it up the road, and as soon as I was out of sight from home, and hit a stop sign, I decided to see how peppy it was...

[Linked Image]

I floored it, and it went in any direction but straight... and I burnt a couple thousand miles worth of wear off the snow tires on the rear....I popped the hood on the little buzzard...

No inner fender wells, big asssed radiator.. yet the entire engine bay was FULL....air cleaner was inscribed Pontiac 421 Tri Power....What I wished it was going to look like...

[Linked Image]

note that 421 emblem on the left front fender...

[Linked Image]

Guy who owned it was setting it up to drag race it, and got his orders for Vietnam... so felt he'd better not tell my mom what was really under the hood...

Word got back to her a month or so later... and she immediately pulled the keys and sold it to someone else in her office...

but that sure was one hell of a fun 30 days or so...

after that was a couple of VWs....

but I got tossed the keys for about 2 months on a car one of her friends had bought when going thru tough times...because it was a "gas hog"... mom let her use her car, and she took my VW...

Previously government owned 57 Caddy Fleetwood Limo...3 doors down each side... shiney black, had some bullet holes in the back fender some kids had shot in it... Looked like a real Mafia Mobile...

Thing had like a 50 gallon fuel tank, automatic EVERYTHING...

lift the hood the air cleaner was the size of a garbage can lid... housing 2 Four Barrels.. probably the biggest made in 1957.. and I am sure the engine was the biggest thing GM made for Cadillac that year also...

Tires were huge....you could get it up to 120, let off the gas pedal and it would slow down to about 90 and then without touching anything, it would start slowly climbing back up picking up speed...

could load it up with about 20 plus high school kids...

that was a fun 60 days or so also...but as soon as her friend got a job, there went the keys to the Caddy... and I'm back in a darn VW once again....

[Linked Image]

Seafire, I really enjoy reading some other Camper's stories, and you're one of 'em. smile
Cheers!

Last edited by local_dirt; 04/09/15.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Car? You gotta be kidding! One vehicle in the family and my Dad stayed after work so I could ride home with him after football practice and I have walked home...12 miles! No...not through snow...but on occasion a damn big thunderstorm! Kids in high school didn't have cars! Here was my 'car' every day:

[Linked Image]6395143819_5fb62fa0eb_z by Sharps45 2 7/8, on Flickr

Wasn't any running around on the bus while enroute either and it was as quiet as a church mouse or....if you chose to holler and try raising hell...you got your azz put off the bus!

Or, the bus driver stopped and gave you a spanking, in front of all the other kids. Then he told your parents and Dad would give you another spanking for 'cutting up' on the bus.

BTDT

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W

Yep, and the boys sat on one side, girls and the other. No talking. There were three or four "rich" kids that had their own car. On a special day you might be allowed to take the family car to school.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Lived 20 miles from town as a youngster. Never got to drive to school. ALWAYS rode the school bus. Got my first ride at 17. Bought and paid for on my own. 1983 Toyota single cab pickup. Was a great little truck, but I didn't get to drive it to school...

Public landowner...
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
[Linked Image]Mine was the same color, but black interior. 283 and a 4 speed.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I had finished my second year of college before I had a car. I ran out of money and had to drop out a while, so after finding a job I bought my first, a Triumph GT6.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1963 International Scout.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
I had finished my second year of college before I had a car. I ran out of money and had to drop out a while, so after finding a job I bought my first, a Triumph GT6.
I had a 1970 Gt6. It was the neatest car I ever had that didn't work worth poop....Evil handling on fast sweepers, once the suspension was overwhelmed. Little sucker would step right out. Of course, it had to run, before that happened. Probably a safety feature...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox

Same here, ran out of money (school loans were almost unheard of back then), dropped out of school, got a job, and bought my first car. '67 Impala fastback, 327, powerglide. The motor had been worked on, by the previous owner and was scary fast, on the top end. If you put it in low and floored it, the valves floated at 93 mph.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Freshman-sophomore years it was a twin to this one. Minus the mud flaps.

[Linked Image]

Junior-senior it was a couple different used reg cab F150's.
I had one of those during junior year. Gawd awful ugliest tank they ever put on this planet. That set of heater controls on the firewall was a real adventure too. It had posi front and rear, and that danged thing could just about climb a telephone pole.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tzone
I had a sweet ass 1981 amc concord. Before you laugh...it was a 4 door so there! Oh yeah, and it was a wagon. Don't you worry though, it only burned a quart of oil every 40 miles. And just to make you really jealous...it had a roof rack. Yep! A chrome one!
Had an '80 AMC Eagle with that Pontiac 230 straight 6 in it. Everyone withing 100 yards of me when I was rolling got a free lube job weather they wanted it or not. I liked the concept of a 4 wd wagon that had a little ground clearance, but the thing was just a piece of junk.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
I bought a 1966 Chevy II 2dr coupe when I was 15. Dad and I worked on it swapping out the complete drivetrain doing the body work. Made it tame with a 307, auto, and 10bolt 3.08 rear. Fun project.
Bought a 1968 Chevy II SS when I was a senior - LT1 350, 4spd, 12 bolt 4.11s. That thing would run. Sold'em both to get thru college.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wilkeshunter
Damn, I wish I could post pictures.

My car was a 72 Chevy Nova SS. It was actually a real SS, not a regular Nova with the SS emblem. It was Fire Engine Red with an original black vinyl top. It had a Muncie 4 speed, factory in dash tach, and the gauges were in the console, in front of the shifter. It had a 350, four bolt main with a 3.73 rear end. I sure miss that car. We will be restoring my wife's 68 Camaro in the next few years, so that will be fun!
My brother had a 69 Nova with the LT-1 350 in it. All built up. I think he actually broke even on that one as he won a couple pink slips when the cops in Youngstown went on strike. They gathered on South Avenue, or maybe it was Market Street and ran traffic light to traffic light. He took out an AMX and a 340 Duster. Remember him coming home that night with his buddies driving those two cars. We had to clean out a spot in the driveway until he sold them.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
68 fastback, paid 800 for it... traded it in for a new honda civic in 76... dumb chit we do.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Still have mine grin ...since 1978.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Car, you must be joking , i walked every place i went. Unless someone picked me up and gave me a lift

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Obviously not the car as mine was covered in rust and the green seems nice on this one. It was a throw away car that was for driving into NYC that someone gave me.

[Linked Image]

It was supposed to be one of these:
[Linked Image]

My brother went and looked at it for me. $300 after an engine fire. He came home and said "I have good news and bad news...I bought the car, but I bought it for me..."

He still has it.

Growing up in the 60's with a lot of brothers there were a lot of cool cars that came and went. If only one of us had the foresight to save a few more. The 60's muscle were cheap in the 70's for sure.

Last edited by supercrewd; 04/10/15.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

The Tail Goes Along With The Hide.

We should have picked our own cotton.
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (257Bob, 1936M71, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1234, 1lessdog, 56 invisible), 2,227 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,661
Posts18,493,598
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.