Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Bill Clinton is a Rhodes Scholar, but don't hold your breath waiting for him to object, let alone renounce his scholarship "in a sign of solidarity" with the ANC-led radical students.
-----------------------------------------------

http://www.cnn.com/2015/04/10/africa/south-africa-rhodes-statue-removed/

(CNN)—A South African university is celebrating the removal of a British colonialist's statue after weeks of protests.

University of Cape Town students took to social media to demand Cecil Rhodes' statue come down, saying his legacy is tainted with racism.

Using the hashtag #RhodesMustFall, students expressed their views in a campaign that started last month.

Four weeks later, the hashtag is now #RhodesHas Fallen. The university said Wednesday the heritage authority granted it permission to remove the statue from the campus.

"These steps are being taken to ensure the safety of the statue while matters concerning its future are resolved," the university said in a statement.

Rhodes' statue was first unveiled in 1934 at the university, which also has a scholarship and memorial in his name.

#RhodesMustFall gained attention after activists threw excrement on the statue in March.

"He represents the former colonial representation of this country -- supremacy, racism, misogyny," says Ramabina Mahapa, president of the students' Representative Council, which led the fight to remove the statue.

"Students are saying these aren't the ideals that we want to have here," Mahapa says. "The statue represents what is wrong with society."

But in Pretoria, another group of protesters disagreed.

"This isn't confronting history, this is erasing it," says Steve Hofmeyr, a singer who participated in a campaign Thursday that involved activists chaining themselves to the Paul Kruger statue in response to #RhodesHasFallen.

Days earlier, Kruger's statue was pelted with green paint. The Afrikaner is known for his opposition to the British.

Afrikaner groups also chained themselves to the statue of Dutch colonizer Jan van Riebeeck in Cape Town.

"I don't want fewer monuments," Hofmeyr says. "I want more monuments erected. But don't defile the ones that exist -- we are the sum total of all the history, not just the fun parts."

Mahapa said removing a statue shouldn't be equated with removing history.

"People down the years will be looking at the statue and at his history and what he did," Mahapa says. "We need to be moving toward becoming an Afrocentric university where African thought can be appreciated."

Hofmeyr said the statue is a race issue.

"There are huge gaping differences between people in South Africa and that is why you need dialogue, which you can't have without its monuments and statues," he says.

Students marked the removal of Rhodes' statue with a celebratory march. They held signs that said "we're not done yet."

With the statue removed, some asked what's next for the movement.

--------------------------------------------
Celebrating jigs that CNN won't show:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

GB1

D
DHN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Another form of book burning.

Dale

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
"He represents the former colonial representation of this country -- supremacy, racism, misogyny," says Ramabina Mahapa, president of the students' Representative Council, which led the fight to remove the statue.
Rhodes was a notorious queer. I'm surprised they aren't honoring him for that.

Rhodes and others did what the natives didn't - develop their resources. Without the colonizers, much of Africa would still be wild. Since the colonizers have been largely forced out in many countries, it's returning to the wild. Now they're replacing modernization with Islam.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

Still looking for General NBF's head??

Those monuments are next, right here in this Country.

Unless some authoritarian, strong city councilman has the balls to say that "history will stand and not be punished or erased, and we will make new, better history going forward". Hands off.

But I wont hold my breath for that to happen...

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

"People down the years will be looking at the statue and at his history and what he did," Mahapa says. "We need to be moving toward becoming an Afrocentric university where African thought can be appreciated."

What he did is bring civilization to a bunch of stone age people. They want to reverse that.

African thought doesn't seem to go much beyond eat, sleep, screw, and $hit.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
S.Afrikans invented the ....uh..

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
Originally Posted by gonehuntin

What he did is bring civilization to a bunch of stone age people. They want to reverse that.

African thought doesn't seem to go much beyond eat, sleep, screw, and $hit.

Let them reverse it. They will be recolonized eventually by a superior civilization/empire that no one dare interfere with.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
John Lachuk told me when he went to Africa there was what used to be an orange orchard that was given to the local after a few years of production. Did they work it to make good crops? No! The cut down the trees for firewood! The Left is to stupid to see that's what is happening to USA.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
There is also a movement to have his body removed from his grave and shipped back to Europe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Rhodes and others did what the natives didn't - develop their resources.

This. If you are not using your property as your neighbor sees fit, the neighbor has every right to use it how they think it should be used. Like zoning laws on a larger scale.

You can bet these sloths were much more industrious after having their hands removed for lack of output.

[Linked Image]

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
John Lachuk told me when he went to Africa there was what used to be an orange orchard that was given to the local after a few years of production. Did they work it to make good crops? No! The cut down the trees for firewood! The Left is to stupid to see that's what is happening to USA.

Shame we aren't there to flay the flesh off the soles of their feet to enlighten them.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You're completely ffu kki ing retarded, shmep.
(See if that gets past the "no [bleep] cussing allowed " program.

Last edited by Archerhunter; 04/11/15.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Archerhunter
You're completely [bleep] retarded, shep.

Why do you say that? We all lament the passing of Africa's Golden Age, but we still have pictures to remind us of that glorious time.

[Linked Image]

I can't imagine why those savages would not come around to embrace our western ideas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Completely.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
the African has been around (if you are a evolutionist ) just throwing out a number, 20k years? 30? don't know what they claim BUT, they still haven't come up with the wheel on their own. let's see what they do with university level education. it will be just like the orange orchard.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Orange orchard ?
Just look at what a "constitutional scholar has done to the Constitution.

NBN.
Walt and shmeps kind of peeps, every [bleep] ing one of 'em.
Completely [bleep] ing retarded.

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
South Africa will soon be a class A third world Schithole once again, ahhhhh the good ole days.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Online Content
Campfire Ranger
sherp, you ignorant slut!

[Linked Image]

"To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical." -- Thomas Jefferson

We are all Rhodesians now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Spear-chunkers showing their mentality.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,592 guests, and 1,303 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,295
Posts18,525,777
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.