-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 8 western states are talking about creating a compact to deal with the land...and that scares me. As near as I can figure out, it will be like many of our federal agencies - run by unelected officials and not answerable to the people.
I'm fuzzy about what all this entails, but you can google 'interstate compact' for more info.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by rosco1
Some still like to put on a pair of boots and hunt vast acreage of land, without ranchets,different landowners and fences every mile.

Yup, and I'll be glad it's still there even when I can't hunt it any more.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, its great to turn off a highway and be able to drive 50 miles either east or west and not go through a private fence. I can't say just 'fence' because the FS and BLM do have fences for grazing allotments but we're free to cross them at any time.

― George Orwell

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Our Senator, Steve Daines, flip-flopped on this issue and was the deciding vote to help Murkowski's bill pass. I'm going to do everything I can to see that he is thrown out on his azz. A traitor to Montana and Montana Sportsmen.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by ltppowell
So, you trust the Federal Government more than your State?

Yes, far more than these 2-bit crooked politicians. They would have it all in the hands of big money and closed off to the public completely.

We in essence would have a small Texas, where $6,000.00 hunting leases are where one can hunt.

No Thanks.

This is what I'm thinking. I can hunt, shoot and ride dirt bikes within 20 minutes of my house. The hunting isn't great but it's there. I have heard from Californians that move to Texas and are hard pressed to find any public land to shoot or hunt on.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Why comparisons of western states that have a huge amount of public land and "Texas" are made is beyond my scope of understanding.

If they decided to sell it ALL off, who, besides another country would have funds to buy vast expanses of land that cannot be developed and then subdivide it, fence it, and post it for trespass?

I think the question at hand is the MANAGEMENT of public lands. (Or the mis-management, as it seems to be in recent years.)

As stated early on, a system of checks and balances has to be initiated to insure the land cannot ever be sold, and access by the public remains irrevocable.

Panic and entitlement sure causes some folks to run off the road. wink

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If they decided to sell it ALL off, who, besides another country would have funds to buy vast expanses of land that cannot be developed and then subdivide it, fence it, and post it for trespass?
Think Hollywood. It's full of very wealthy anti-hunting greenies. If the land was available, they have the cash to buy huge chunks and just close it off.

― George Orwell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Obama can do that with the stroke of a pen.

"A National Monument in the United States is a protected area that is similar to a National Park, but can be created from any land owned or controlled by the federal government by proclamation of the President of the United States."

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Think Hollywood. It's full of very wealthy anti-hunting greenies. If the land was available, they have the cash to buy huge chunks and just close it off.

The liberals don't even need to buy it now to close it off and post it against public trespass...

They just petition Sally Jewell with the boundaries they want closed down, and her boss signs an executive order.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I am sure some would be bought by the greenies, at least it would cost them money, it doesn't now. Think monuments. I am sure Senator Reid would sell some to his Chinese friends, and I am sure some of you would lose your hunting spots. It is already happening thru out the west. There are millions of acres out there and I don't think they could get it sold. Some states like my home state would probably tie it up so you couldn't hunt, hell they are trying to get rid of the hunters now. I am not sure if I favor state control, I do know the feds have done a piss poor job of management. I see two sides of this coin as I am a hunter and also a cattleman and a would be logger. I am 69 years old so I am not going to get to damn excited about it. Ed

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"On Friday, President Obama designated 350,000 acres of national forest just north of Los Angeles as the newest monument of his administration.
The San Gabriel Mountains National Monument extends across the Angeles and San Bernardino National Forests, and will protect a watershed that serves as a source of water for one-third of Los Angeles’ population and a swath of outdoor space that’s crucial to the residents of Los Angeles County.
The designation of the San Gabriel Mountains National Monument marks the 13th time that President Obama has used his authority to create or expand a national monument. Obama has created 12 monuments throughout the U.S., and expanded the Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument to 490,000 square miles — six times its original size.
President George W. Bush used his monument-making power five times while he was in office, while President Bill Clinton created 19 monuments. According to the White House, however, President Obama has now used his powers under the Antiquities Act to protect more than 260 million acres of land and water, which is more than any other President since 1906."

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
National Monumnet status is what worries me the most....BUT

there are at least 3 kinds...

the Park Service kind, managed by the park Service, more or less under Park Service rules (no guns, no hunting, etc)

BLM National Monuments (these have hunting, grazing, etc, no new mining, I think)

Forest Service National Monuments, like San Gabriel mentioned above.

That one is brand new, and I am not sure what the new rules are, or how much they differ from what was in place before. That close to LA, maybe not much.

In the forest here around Flagstaff, there is a buffer around town, in state, private and FS land, where there is no shooting, and no firearms hunting (archery is open).

So the forest around LA, ( I think that monument was part of the Angles NF) might have had a bunch of restrictions on it before. I do not know, maybe someone from the area can chime in.

One thing I have seen monument status do is bring more people in. people want to go someplace "special" and monument status brings them in. Which is good for the tourist related businesses, not as good for me, looking to get away from people.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If nothing else, you guys have to realize that Obama and Jay Z are calling those shots over a bottle of Hennessy and a side of ribs.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Sycamore
National Monumnet status is what worries me the most....BUT

there are at least 3 kinds...

the Park Service kind, managed by the park Service, more or less under Park Service rules (no guns, no hunting, etc)

BLM National Monuments (these have hunting, grazing, etc, no new mining, I think)

Forest Service National Monuments, like San Gabriel mentioned above.

That one is brand new, and I am not sure what the new rules are, or how much they differ from what was in place before. That close to LA, maybe not much.

In the forest here around Flagstaff, there is a buffer around town, in state, private and FS land, where there is no shooting, and no firearms hunting (archery is open).

So the forest around LA, ( I think that monument was part of the Angles NF) might have had a bunch of restrictions on it before. I do not know, maybe someone from the area can chime in.

One thing I have seen monument status do is bring more people in. people want to go someplace "special" and monument status brings them in. Which is good for the tourist related businesses, not as good for me, looking to get away from people.

Sycamore

Same restrictions as far as buffer zones go in the Angeles, no shooting within city limits, 1/4 mile of a structure. It is interesting that the National Monument does not include the entire Angeles. It stops at Mt. Baldy and basically stays in L.A.County. I also wonder what impact this will have on the designated Wilderness areas or if they stay the same.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
When they made Brown's Canyon a national monument recently here in CO, the hue and cry about "being shut out" was deafening. From people unfamiliar with the monument designation.

USFS took over management, all current policies on hunting, grazing, and other uses were kept intact, and not only were existing roads kept, but new roads were not ruled out.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by HUNTS
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I love sam like a bruddah, but for the prime land, he's going to be waaaay down the list of buyers if it came that time.

Mr. Rams, the frac brothers and Ted would be gobbling up Montana like a fat family at the golden corral.

Yes I do earn a good part of my check from folks like that, but I sure don't want to see them own the whole state.

Not to mention Chinese billionaire(and others)s who are licking their lips right now getting ready to buy up your former hunting areas.

It's not just that they are salivating over. Think "snow pack". If they buy the areas where the snow pack falls, then they own that "hard asset" and can remove it before it thaws into the flowing water that other folks have rights/ownership in. It's called "prior appropriation" and hard asset mining.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
When they made Brown's Canyon a national monument recently here in CO, the hue and cry about "being shut out" was deafening. From people unfamiliar with the monument designation.

USFS took over management, all current policies on hunting, grazing, and other uses were kept intact, and not only were existing roads kept, but new roads were not ruled out.

Don't try to make sense. It doesn't work here.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
All those that want sell off, can expect to add a 0 plus to their western big game tags if it happens. You like private, high fences, and high dollar hunts. Go to Texas.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought colorado was texass..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
At least during hunting season... (grin)

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Page 7 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (257 mag, 1lessdog, 12344mag, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 19 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,120
Posts18,483,620
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.