Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
we had a thread up about these not long ago

My Miller Digital Elite,....after 6 years of loyal and trouble free service started flattening it's twin 2450s if they were left in the module.Damned expensive, and annoying as hell, having to screw around with the fussy little battery holders daily. It occurred to me that leaving the module open in a windy shop environment was probably just letting more atomized metal and dust in onto the board,too. The design of the battery holders indicates that they were engineered to SEAL the module / case, against just that. I got hold of an engineer at miller and he squared me away on the power supply circuit,....2 3V bats in series for 6VDC,....
Though about it for a day or two, and than went diggin' through my junk boxes, and came up with this setup, remote "power adaptors":
[Linked Image]
...Once the 2 2450s (pictured in their kluged "Battery pack" are defunct, I'll use a WAY more affordable set of rechargables with gonga Amp Hours,in a proper housing.
[Linked Image]
There's a ton of room for the lashup above the where the module fits into the hood.Will also need to fit a little more elegant switch. Our Radio Crap store went belly up, so will have to scout on line, I guess. Any suggestions for a good quality SMALL switch appreciated.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Greg,

I don't have a current paper catalog on hand, but these folks are my go-to for any electronics needs:

ALLIED ELECTRONICS

They will also have some cool little batteries and holders you can use.

Ed

Last edited by APDDSN0864; 04/11/15.

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
im to lazy to mess with them after they break. ive got a miller elite i use for shop welding, but when im in the nuke plant, overhead/upsidedown/curled in a ball, i wear an optrel e680. the curved glass is awesome for over head cause nothing sticks to it.

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice of ya to give ol Abe an honest job.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
"So, other than that,.......
how did you enjoy the Play, Mrs. Lincoln ? "

[Linked Image]

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
"Mrs Custer, Would you care to donate to the Indian relief fund"

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Hey, Greg, where are those Deringers?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
http://www.digikey.com/

Poke around there. Not feeling all that swift, so I can't dig in deeper myself. I will respond further if you can't find what you need. Just let me know.

Carpe' Scrotum
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Hey, Greg, where are those Derringers?

Ed

Been in the same S.C. family since purchased as a new matched set from Deringer's shop in Philadelphia in the 1850s.

They tell me the original buyer carried em' all through the war of N. Aggression, and used em' on occasion.

I made a replacement hammer and retention screw (the lower piece), and a spring,....they were going to handle the engraving on their end.
Never heard back from them about that.

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I remember you talking about them, I was hoping you had managed to snag them. grin

Ed

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
we had a thread up about these not long ago

My Miller Digital Elite,....after 6 years of loyal and trouble free service started flattening it's twin 2450s if they were left in the module.Damned expensive, and annoying as hell, having to screw around with the fussy little battery holders daily. It occurred to me that leaving the module open in a windy shop environment was probably just letting more atomized metal and dust in onto the board,too. The design of the battery holders indicates that they were engineered to SEAL the module / case, against just that. I got hold of an engineer at miller and he squared me away on the power supply circuit,....2 3V bats in series for 6VDC,....
Though about it for a day or two, and than went diggin' through my junk boxes, and came up with this setup, remote "power adaptors":
[Linked Image]
...Once the 2 2450s (pictured in their kluged "Battery pack" are defunct, I'll use a WAY more affordable set of rechargables with gonga Amp Hours,in a proper housing.
[Linked Image]
There's a ton of room for the lashup above the where the module fits into the hood.Will also need to fit a little more elegant switch. Our Radio Crap store went belly up, so will have to scout on line, I guess. Any suggestions for a good quality SMALL switch appreciated.

GTC

My grandpa used to use the auto darkening hoods. He also worked for the Army Corps of Engineers (Govt.), so they had all the fun toys. I'm old school and don't use them. crazy . Good luck with your set-up MacGyver... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I use a flash hood now because the outfit I'm working for supplies us with a Jackson nex-gen. For most welding i prefer a simple light weight flip lens hood.

The better flash hoods are truly great for buddy welding or heliarcing in tight spots

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10Glocks, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 1234, 01Foreman400, 17CalFan, 62 invisible), 2,448 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,406
Posts18,488,965
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.