Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I have not used this particular bullet, but I have used the 165 .30 cal on deer ONCE. I also saw my fil shoot a cow elk with a 180 Sierra. None of the bullets stayed together. They are very accurate, but seem to lack durability.

Go with 160 Partitions @ 3000 fps and don't look back. It is not worth using a bullet that may or may not perform, after you have put in the time and money for an elk hunt.
I have also used the 165 gr 30 cal one time out of a 300 WSM. Last fall I shot a deer with it at about 100 yds. It passed through nicely leaving a good wound channel and no explosion.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I wo'nt use the soft point version in my 7x300 again. Its come apart enough to stop in a less than 100 pound pigs neck.

Its gone through deer heads while opening them wide up, and the very next one pencils through...

But tehn again I got tired of erractic performance of cup and core quite some time back generally speaking.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by rost495

But tehn again I got tired of erractic performance of cup and core quite some time back generally speaking.

Ditto. Couldn't agree more.

Never saw the point in seeking the lowest common denominator in a hunting bullet to save a few cents..

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
L
lotech Online Content OP
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
BobinNH- As the OP, I may also be in agreement.

However, I've been shooting this bullet in a couple of 7x61s with muzzle velocities about the same as or slightly less than 7mm Remington Magnum speeds. So far, this bullet has been very accurate with just about any load concoction, but I've never hunted with it.

I've been using either a TSX BT or Partition for all elk hunting for a while now in several rifles and chamberings with no complaints. Probably will continue to do so.

Nevertheless, the urge to experiment continues. I have some of the 160 Game King (hollow point version) loaded up right now - just waiting for a calm day to chronograph & shoot groups.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
lotech I have shot a pile of them.(the soft points).An old acquaintance used them exclusively in his Ruger 7RM on deer, antelope and elk on western hunts.

He got a bit confused one time and rolled 3-4 cow elk at about 400 yards with them(yeah I know not too bright! grin and a genuine King Kong mule deer. He liked them fine.

Pretty sure (IIRC) this is the bullet that Les Bowman used to develop the 7 RM from wildcat form when he necked down 338 brass. He found them soft up close but good at distance on everything back then and used them on elk, moose, deer,black bear and grizzly....Eventually he ended up with the 160 Partition.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The SP gamekings are relatively soft, and they work like a Ballistic tip. The HP versions of Sierras (and Hornadys) seem to be quite a bit tougher.
That being said I've punched deer with the 140gr Sierra GK spbt and gotten exits at 150 yards maybe a little less, from a 7mmRM. Never shot an elk with one but I don't think the 160 would work worse.
Anymore I use Lots of Hornady if I can find them, Noslers PT or whatever if not. I have 180 grain Etips, Partitions, Accubonds in the cupboard. No big game Ballistic tips at all. I rarely buy big game bullets in yellow or green boxes.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've killed around 15 bull elk with said bullet out of 7mag. My hunting partner and his dad have a combined total of around 30 with the same bullet and 7mags.

They tend to blow up at close range, and tend to blow through at the 150-350yrd mark, after that they're usually found under the skin on the off side.

I still shoot them time to time, but don't hunt with them much anymore, mostly because I don't shoot the 7mag as much.

Are there better bullets? I don't know. Never saw an elk walk off after getting shot with one.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 64 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,063
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.