Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
I have heard of folks around Reelfoot Lake in TN call them sac-au-lait. Reelfoot is reputed to be the best crappie fishing destination in the U.S.

Douglas in east tn about 30 minutes from my driveway. If you can't catch 100 a day in the cold water months you can't fish, its awesome with the exception of an occational dead year probably caused by overharvest and a bad spawn. Weiss in alabama is killer as well. Reelfoot was one of the greatest and once was the only fishery in the country that allowed commercial harvest of crappie. As far as I know it isn't what it used to be. I have never fished it but I have also heard the bluegills are BIG in reelfoot and the duck hunting in the early season is great.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
Sac au lait = Louisiana

I had forgotten about that. Used to work with Cajuns in the paper mills and that's what they called them. They also called perch chinkypins.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Specks. End of story.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Specks. End of story.

The hell? We're talking about freshwater fish not speckled sea trout. No matter what we call 'em I'm sure we can all agree they are tasty!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
When it comes to fried fish, it's hard to beat pan fried crappie!

what he said ^

I love Copper River Reds

like Halibut

but I'd trade a freezer of halibut for crappie filets anyday!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Texczech
Sac au lait = Louisiana

I had forgotten about that. Used to work with Cajuns in the paper mills and that's what they called them. They also called perch chinkypins.

That's something totally different grin

Chinky pins = shell crackers

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Specks, strawberry bass, paper mouths, moon eyes. Calico bass, crappie. All the same and one of the very few things I miss about living further south.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Yep. Corn meal batter is the way to go!

Yep. Strawberry bass, ha! Yankees could screw up a wet dream, and do.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Some of the guys were hard to understand. I thought they were calling all perch that. Thanks for the heads up.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé
Grandpa:the road to hell is paved with good intentions.
Dad:son you have 2 choices for supper eat or don't eat.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
We (S. Ga.) always called them white perch. "Crappie" still sounds, er, crappy to me.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If the perch are biting, the specks get thrown back

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Caught many crappies in Texas this past winter.
Enjoyed them deep fried after breading, but also used a marinade mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice, and olive oil with a good shake of Slap ya mama. Then grill them in fish grillin' basket on the gas grill for some darn good eatin' as well.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Chainsaw
Caught many crappies in Texas this past winter.
Enjoyed them deep fried after breading, but also used a marinade mixture of soy sauce, lemon juice, and olive oil with a good shake of Slap ya mama. Then grill them in fish grillin' basket on the gas grill for some darn good eatin' as well.

Where?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The genus name Pomoxis derives from the Greek πώμα (cover, plug, operculum) and οξύς (sharp). The common name (also spelled croppie or crappé), derives from the Canadian French crapet, which refers to many different fishes of the sunfish family. Other names for crappie are papermouths, strawberry bass, speckled bass or specks (especially in Michigan), speckled perch, calico bass (throughout New England),[3] sac-a-lait (in southern Louisiana, lit. "milk bag", an alteration by folk etymology from Choctaw sakli)[4] and Oswego bass.[citation needed]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
They were always crappie, pronounced croppy as others have said, in the part of OK I grew up in.
Mouth gets to watering just thinking about them this time of the year even though it's been a decade since I've caught or eaten any. Last weekend in April or the first weekend in May was always time to break out the tin boat, noodle rods, 1" mister twister curlytails, and the electric knife. If it didn't rain and muddy up the ponds it was sure to be a bloodbath punctuated by a family wide fish fry with gallons of sweat tea, fried potatoes from Grandmom's big iron skillet, home made jalapeño hush puppies, and sugared peaches over vanilla ice cream. Damn to have a time machine.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sac au lait = Louisiana

I was once fishing on Lake Caddo with a bunch of coon asses calling them Sac au lait.
Took me quite a while to figure out what the hell they were talking about!

Most Texans call them Crappie, pronounced as Croppie.

White perch in East Texas,, at least in the "old" days. Cajuns call them Sac au lait...sack of milk.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crappies, anything else is just ridiculous,

Strawberry's, How in the Hell can someone make that kind of association?

Paper mouth Crappies = Big!

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Where I grew up in Alabama we always called them "crop-pee", spelled crappie. We also fished for bream which is pronounced "brim" not "breem". My now deceased father-in-law, a native east Texan, while we were fishing on Lake Livingston years ago kept talking about a "gasper-goo". I had no clue what he was talking about. He could not believe that I had done any fishing at all, having never heard of one. One of us caught one and I then realized what he was referring to was what I knew to be a gar - AKA alligator gar. We both got a lesson in dialect. Both southern, but just a bit different.

"...why, land is the only thing in the world worth working for, worth fighting for, worth dying for,... because it is the only thing that lasts."
C
cdb Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
In Texas they are usually called crappie and sometimes paper mouth. In Louisiana crappie or sac-a-lait. And there are two species - black crappie and white crappie.

Don't roll those bloodshot eyes at me.
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I think you best google gasper goo and alligator gar. Not the same critter by a country milE.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,479 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.