Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
laugh

Steve,

Thanks for the clarification. The first time I heard the term "Fudd" was from my son, and it wasn't directing at me, just information. And that's Northwest Arkansas, not Canada.

Evidently his generation loves black guns, etc. and thinks those who like older style guns aren't that "cool".

I think it's pretty funny, the more I think about it... grin

Generational stuff isn't all bad... cool

DF

I don't know if it has the same negative meaning down your way. Fudd is the kind of word some people use when arguing their side of how or what the gun rules should be. It happens a lot at clubs. The fellow with whom you are talking is older, and likely making points. Often, he is on the board.

In frustration you hear,

"All you damn fudds are the same. You think you know everything!"

At that moment, 'the fudd' smiles. He has made his point, whatever is was, and won.

You should ask your son what the term means to him. I would be interested to hear. smile

My sense, he doesn't have much buy in either way, just giving his dear ole Dad a heads up on what he's hearing from his shooting peers. It was matter of fact, sorta FYI, with a chuckle... grin

I thought it was pretty funny, too... smile

I could just picture ole Elmer slipping around, loaded for wabbit... whistle

DF

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://bearingarms.com/dont-be-a-fudd/

"According to the Urban Dictionary, a “Fudd” is a, “Slang term for a “casual” gun owner; eg; a person who typically only owns guns for hunting or shotgun sports and does not truly believe in the true premise of the second amendment. These people also generally treat owners/users of so called “non sporting” firearms like handguns or semiautomatic rifles with unwarranted scorn or contempt.”"

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
The only issue I take with that definition is that most of the people that qualify as fudds (where I live anyway) own a hockey sock full of guns. Mind you, I'm in Canada. I believe the Urban Dictionary is American.

That said, the people that label them as such do many stupid things to grab attention. It makes you want to shake your head.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, I have way too many guns in various non-P.C. categories and cherish the Second Ammendment way to much to fit that Fudd definition... shocked

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
"Fudd" Ouch.. Is there such a thing as a "Red Neck" Fudd? Sounds like that might be me. Support Second Amendment but have hunting background outside of the 20 years I spent with an AR platform..

IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Fudd "I don't care if they ban semi-autos, pistols etc, so long as they don't ban my one bolt action hunting rifle, it's no concern of mine"

Fudds also vote for Obama and his ilk.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Canadian Fudd "So you want to have sex Gracie, eh? Ok, but we have to do it doggie style so we can both watch the hockey game"

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Sounds like a solution to a problem.. Hockey can be important, but passing up on...............

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The only issue I take with that definition is that most of the people that qualify as fudds (where I live anyway) own a hockey sock full of guns. Mind you, I'm in Canada. I believe the Urban Dictionary is American.

That said, the people that label them as such do many stupid things to grab attention. It makes you want to shake your head.

Geez, I thought everyone on this Continent is American.US American ,Canadian American,Mexican American.I don`t get Afro American though???

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Fudd "I don't care if they ban semi-autos, pistols etc, so long as they don't ban my one bolt action hunting rifle, it's no concern of mine"

Fudds also vote for Obama and his ilk.

Sherp definition Fudds, maybe.

Redneck Fudds, NO WAY...

DF

IC B3

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
I am a thru-&-thru Fudd. I traded a precision bolt rifle for an M-4 configured AR and it took me quite a while but I've really warmed up to it.

It's a Stag Arms lower and mixed upper; i don't even know where the barrel was made. It was easy to get shooting and once I learned here that they're meant to be run wet I really got it GOING.

Now no range visit is complete without the satisfying ring of steel at 100-300 yds as I run through a few 30 round mags.

My goal this fall is to kill a doe with it. I am told the 70 gr Speer is a great deer bullet and it shoots beautifully. The 64 gr Noz Bonded Solid Base is another but I've yet to work up a load.

Buy it I doubt you'd regret it.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I think people in Canada would be North Americans. People living in the US would be South Americans.

Wait a minute, 'South American' has already been taken. Never mind. smile

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
They would call me Fuddiusmaxximus if I started belching black powder smoke from a Sharps. shocked ROR!

Trump Won!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Keep on hoping all y'all and the rest of America buys ARs. In the main the guns are capable. Most of the owners are not, or so my experience tells me.

God bless the panicked hoards for they keep the industry going and going and going...

Didja hear about the Energizer Bunny? He faces a charge of battery.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
And you'll have all of us covered with your flinters, we ain't gonna run out of rocks anytime soon. wink

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

You should buy what you want and to hell with everyone else.

Sums it up pretty well.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AR15 craze today is sort of reminiscent of my Dad's generation, when everyone owned a A303 or a 1917, or maybe even a Garand. Everyone needs at least one of each!

Last edited by chlinstructor; 04/15/15.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
If you like firearms as I assume most on this forum do, I’d buy an AR. I’m an old guy by most standards but my safe has several ARs in a couple calibers. All of them will shoot much better than I do. The only one not scoped is my “defense” rifle and it has a red dot on it. For the past several years the ARs were the only rifles I shot or hunted with (mostly coyotes). They tend to be accurate to very accurate, are easy to modify and scope.

W
Campfire Tracker
Online Sad
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Lar68
If you like firearms as I assume most on this forum do, I’d buy an AR. I’m an old guy by most standards but my safe has several ARs in a couple calibers. All of them will shoot much better than I do. The only one not scoped is my “defense” rifle and it has a red dot on it. For the past several years the ARs were the only rifles I shot or hunted with (mostly coyotes). They tend to be accurate to very accurate, are easy to modify and scope.

Agreed. But most of us that like AR's are not capable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yep, keep on rockin' as the song sez.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

605 members (1badf350, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 1lessdog, 1OntarioJim, 71 invisible), 2,975 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,679
Posts18,534,262
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.