Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Swift
Right now I have MT and WY on my short list.

I too would consider Idaho.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Originally Posted by Wyogal
Wyoming is great for the outdoors, but really lousy socially. People tend to be clannish
and a bit zenophobic. A boom/bust state currently in bust, means folks are in competition with each other for what jobs are available, and can be downright brutish about it. Don't expect intellectual stimulation, as many folks never emotionally graduated high school. But cost of living fairly ok, open carry, conceal carry without permit a plus. Wyoming has the highest suicide rate per capita in the US, so...

Do you realize what a pompous ass you sound like?
You'd probably like WY better if you climbed down off your high horse and stopped looking down your nose at everyone else.

That aside its a pretty apt description.

Actually, it sounds like an apt description for most of small town America. Doesn't make it a bad place...

People are people wherever you find them. Always figured that if a new neighbor shows up neighborly, has something to offer, and tries to fit in, they usually will.

I've been the new guy here and there. I try to avoid the pitfall of reminding everyone how we did it back where I came from.
There are a few things that I am particularly good at. I try not to overemphasize what I can do and concentrate instead on what needs done.

Sounds like Wyogal found her niche there, but is now itching for something new. Luck to her.
If Swift winds up there, I'll wish him well.

Comment- Swift, you mentioned above that your wife wants a divorce and her 1/2. Sounds like you're every bit as ready as she is for this.
Anyway... Move somewhere else for a bit before you decide where you want to settle in. You'll likely have some rough, raw edges after the divorce dust settles. Maybe smooth a few of them off on neighbors who you don't figure to be with for long.

Just my 2 cents...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
OT, a bit anyway, but whats with folks married 20 plus years all of a sudden splitting...

I can see it 5 years or so.

Is it hormones in women? Mine sure wouldn't want anotehr man ever again after me. But not all are the same. I"m same, I love my wife and marriage, but dang if I'd want to do it again. Especially after 20 some years invested.

Good luck.

I"d nix CO for sure just because what all liberal is going on there... great place to visit, not sure I could handle the politics and costs of living.

RE moving west for social life ain't it, I agree, but if I wanted a social life I"d be one that lived in NYC or such and could stand it... UGH.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wyoming is great for the outdoors, but really lousy socially. People tend to be clannish
and a bit zenophobic.

This is not necessarily condemnation in my eyes. My family has divided into those who settled close to home, and those who went military and or college and moved elsewhere for work.

The area I'm from tends to be clannish and xenophobic. The way they do things works for them, and they are not much open to new ideas, or ways. Even when suggested by kinfolk who have lived elsewhere, and/or experienced different things.

In areas that are more sparsely populated, guys tend to be in tune with others from their area. Not so much with others who talk, dress, and act differently.
And you won't tune in with them by trying to talk and dress like them. Some places you can be there for 25 years and everybody considers you "the new guy".
Live with it...

youtube seems to have made more difference around my home area than the interstates ever did...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
keep the opinions coming boys and girls

220 Swift still king.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Much uncertainty in my future also.

I thank you all for contributing to his thread.
I've always leaned toward western Wyoming but have good friend in Belgrade Montana with an open invite which keeps me interested.
He does very well hunting and slays the coyotes, averaging 60-70/yr.

Another close fiend lives in the epicenter of Oregon's best hunting and fishing and taunts me with photos of big fish, giant blacktails and piles of dead waterfowl.

Best of luck to you Swift, hope you find your place.

Proud NRA Life Member
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
well, since you asked, come to Louisiana, Lafayette has some great hospitals and some of the most beautiful ladies you'll ever see, I promise. Plus we have great fishing all over the place and Hunting too, but you would have to find a club to join for hunting, I hunt both LA and Mississippi - Great Whitetail hunting in the Natchez MS area and since you have a good job, I am sure you can afford it.

the Social life down here is awesome, lots of festivals year round, New Orleans French Quarter is only 2 hours away.

Lots of good food, restaurants and Live Music, lots of Seafood, Nice clubs, bars etc.. very friendly people - thats for sure

This past weekend was the Crawfish festival in Breaux Bridge LA, 15 min from Lafayette

yeah it gets hot in the summer, but you'll get used to it, we very seldom get snow, Winters are mild, we have 4 seasons hear.

never understood why SteelHead left :-)

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Trust me, I miss it.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
If I were an RN and footloose and fancy free, I'd sure give the "travelling nurse" gig a shot: from what I hear, good money and a chance to see the country. I wouldn't be looking to put down roots for a while.

Mathew 22: 37-39

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hey Swift,

Sorry to hear about the end of your marriage.

With regards to where to live I'll second Rocky Raab's suggestion of Idaho or Utah. I've been in Cache Valley Utah for 23 years. You just have to accept the idiosyncrasies and life is easy. At this point I don't want to change what the Mormon's have going, it works plenty ok for me; they're conservative, against crime, pro family, good neighbors and I have the mountains pretty much to myself on Sundays.

What would Porter Rockwell do?
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by cra1948
If I were an RN and footloose and fancy free, I'd sure give the "travelling nurse" gig a shot: from what I hear, good money and a chance to see the country. I wouldn't be looking to put down roots for a while.

Dittos, if I were to move to a new local I'd be in no hurry to set down roots. Give any new local two years to see what it's really like to live there.

RN's always seem to be in demand and well compensated in Alaska. Yes, Alaska is expensive but done right it offers a lifestyle and quality of living you won't get anywhere else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My niece & nephew are both RN's (as is my wife), & they both recently got jobs easily in Bozeman.

Missoula or Billings will be about the same availability.

Idaho Fall & Pocatello should be easy to find work & are both nice places to live & close to plenty of hunting.

Utah is nice too if you can tolerate the Mormons.

MM

Swift Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the responses. I have lazily delved into tax stuff and am making a list of the most tax friendly western states. I know I can score a job anywhere. Been an ER RN 20 out of my 25 yr career.

220 Swift still king.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
When my now ex wife said she wanted a divorce... I said sure and went out and slept with her best friend.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swift
keep the opinions coming boys and girls

Too bad that Colorado is considered to be all Denver by people that do not or have ever lived there. The rest of the state is top notch, especially southern, northern, and western parts. And get east of the front range a few miles and all is well. Chickenpooper's rules are ignored in the good parts of the state.

Wyoming is just another beautiful state with more antelope than people and they don't cause any problems. Lots of public land there that really is open to the public. Excellent fishing holes abound. Weather is very seldom extreme one way or another and when it gets that way, it's not for a long period of time. Life is good there. Wages are not over the top but neither are living expenses. Great place.

Montana isn't much different but lots of genuine open public land is harder to find. Seems like nearly all the ranchers have their land posted but most will grant permission to hunters at least once.

I have lived several years in each state and the main reason I live in Billings is because this is where my family live. To choose which of the three states would be the better or the worse would be very hard to do. Roll the dice and good luck.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Forget Colorado. It is turning into a bunch of pot smoking liberal morons begging to kiss the government's A$$. There is still good in Colorado but we are losing it fast.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Idaho is great, but I'd miss the salt.

Get ya a place in Idaho and also a little casita in Baja Sur for 3-4 months every winter.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Hi Swift, oboy life changes. I'm a semi-retired RN, and have lived in WY for 24 yrs or so. If you have a certified specialty, especially in ICU, cardiac, ER, there's well paying jobs in WY.
Otherwise hospitals are cutting staff to the quick, and pay poorly with crappy hr/standby etc. We can thank Obamacare and cuts in medicare reimbursement, and unreimbused care for ER visits. Rural hospitals are financially hurting. So if you have a good job where you are, you may want to stay there for now. Wyoming is great for the outdoors, but really lousy socially. People tend to be clannish
and a bit zenophobic. A boom/bust state currently in bust, means folks are in competition with each other for what jobs are available, and can be downright brutish about it. Don't expect intellectual stimulation, as many folks never emotionally graduated high school. But cost of living fairly ok, open carry, conceal carry without permit a plus. Wyoming has the highest suicide rate per capita in the US, so...

I also lived in Colorado. Jobs paid more, but cost of living higher and there's state income tax. Its a good outdoor living state. I absolutely loved the social atmosphere, and always found folks, co-workers etc to do things with. People were just friendlier than those in Wyoming, and had a little more going on upstairs. Now, I was there before pot got legalized, so have to qualify that. There's bigger towns, hence bigger hospitals, so I would think better RN opportunities. And those hospitals generally have a higher standard of care, as some of them are magnet hospitals, and nationally recognized specialty hospitals. JMHO

Wyogal is exactly correct and VERY observant, particularly about the WY workplace.

Lived in WY for 6 years after spending my younger ones longing to live there since it's a hunter's paradise.

Ignorant, sleazy, schitty, sorry people...particularly the Casper crowd. Won't even drive thru there now.

As a degreed professional, had 4 jobs in 6 years trying to find one where the people at work (including the company owners!!!) didn't feel threatened by a talented, qualified, outsider and wouldn't make me do the stupid kid schitt while they took the important stuff.......all in the interest of their job and ego protection.

Fawk the WY scumbags. Pi$$ on them. Stay away if you're qualified, competent, and worth a schitt in the workplace, cuz you'll end up leaving anyway.

Grand Junction, CO pays the same as WY and is a MUCH nicer area with MUCH better folks and climate and you are actually allowed to succeed in the work place if you've got talent. Plus....politically isolated from the front range.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks for the message about Wy.!!!!! Send it to all you can..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Thanks for the message about Wy.!!!!! Send it to all you can..

Do you drive to Denver for quality medical care...........or quality anything for that matter?

Where do you go to get your 3 teeth cleaned??

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

551 members (160user, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,509
Posts18,472,370
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.