Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
VernAK Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I'm hearing rumors that Cabela's is coming to Fairbanks and prospective property on the North side of Johansen Expressway.

Seems unlikely to me as the Anchorage store is sure not impressive and our economy is not robust. Fairbanks recently got a new REI store that has less inventory than my closets.

2Legit.....as a City Father, please give us the straight story.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Anchorage Cabela's is way under-performing currently and it should make them gunshy... Some small local stores have seen them as mostly a good thing with Bass Pro competing far more (very surprising).

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
You need to do some more research. The store has out preformed its target for its first year. The store had a big meeting for its employees back in Feb. with a number of corporate big wigs in attendance. Cake, balloons and all the trimmings.

I agree with you with the FB store and the planned Wasilla store. I don't see them making money. The Wasilla store is going to be one of their small stores with just basics.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can think of several things that would probably be much more successful in Fairbanks……a Hodgdon, Alliant, Western powders distributor, for instance, or a rimfire ammunition manufacturer…….or…

Last thing needed is another place selling more junk from overseas.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Vern,

I'll ask my people (lordy please don't let me turn into Spano!) lol

haven't heard anything, but think Jerry Sadler owns most of that land over in those parts.

a rich guy here once told me "lil guys make lil mistakes, big guys make big mistakes"

believe some of the chains think opening new stores is where it's at....and it is, until it isn't

agree with your assessment of the REI store, spent some time there the other day, Tina had bought me a $200 gift card for part of my b'day last October.

still have $50 bucks on it and the biggest purchase I made was a new coat for the grand daughter

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
You need to do some more research. The store has out preformed its target for its first year. The store had a big meeting for its employees back in Feb. with a number of corporate big wigs in attendance. Cake, balloons and all the trimmings.

I agree with you with the FB store and the planned Wasilla store. I don't see them making money. The Wasilla store is going to be one of their small stores with just basics.

Walt
If you ever find anything you actually know to report on please have at it... I trust more sources more than a little...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

My daughter works at the Cabelas in Anchorage and has brom the opening day so my source is from a employee and not just grabbing facts from the internet.

I agree that the last thing we need is more. I like Cabelas and all of (most all) my camps that I outfit with are Cabelas products, solid gear, great service.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congratulations! My sources are managers your daughter answers to.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Anchorage SW used to make the most out of any store in the chain. That has changed with Cabelas and Basspro. Wasilla SW makes most presently so I envision that the box stores will go there first. I have heard that Cabelas will be in Fairbanks in 2 years. Fairbanks REI has actually boosted SWs camping sales.

Much of what will happen will depend on military. They pretty much keep the store afloat.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Congratulations! My sources are managers your daughter answers to.

LMFAO!

Was waiting for that bomb to drop. wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing like being dumb enough to believe the rah-rah pitched at employees to keep them "fired up!"

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't know why they didn't build the Cabelas in Wasilla/Palmer in the first place...

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The land they purchased out there failed the soils test, as did their second choice plot...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
hmmm

I'm starting to think Walt is a bit rude

he comes here to get his azz handed to him time after time

and then when someone does so, per his request, I never see him say "thank you"

that's just bad manners

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And in February they had the "One Year Party?" It only now is at one year open.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
At least they have control of the narrative if not sales level.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by northwestalaska

My daughter works at the Cabelas in Anchorage and has brom the opening day so my source is from a employee and not just grabbing facts from the internet.

AS one who has worked on 'the tail end' a few times, it is rather amusing to consider this without using the "knowledge is power" filter. (This kind of 'intel' is generally the cue to listen to what the customers might know, as that will often be closer to truth.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Few years back OL Walt on AOD was telling people that the king run on the copper and gulkana was going to be one of the best ever cause his daughter was working on the test nets setup on miles lake. One of the guys who has buddies with the state of Alaska fish and game said the state did not have test nets at miles lake and that it was a native corporation running them and the state had nothing to do with it. Ol Walt was just trying to drum up business for his float trips on the gulkana and over exaggerate the numbers I guess.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

VernAK Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I guess it doesn't make a difference to me as I'll still shop Granite View Sports in Delta first and then try Frontier Sports in FBX. Lately, we Deltoids have been shopping the little three Bears store in Tok for hard to find powder.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (222ND, 1Longbow, 1936M71, 163bc, 160user, 2500HD, 63 invisible), 11,304 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,263
Posts18,544,813
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.