Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
[Linked Image]

Take the inner city hoodrats out of those numbers, and I wonder what that graph would look like?

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Playing that game of pussy footing around what guns are designed for and the purpose of the Second Amendment has gotten us things like the "Sporting Purposes" clause in the NFA.

We should be saying, "You're damned right that ammo will penetrate body armor. I might have to shoot someone in body armor someday."

First, making distinctions is not pussyfooting around. It's vital to any agreement on any issue.
Second, your words "what guns are designed for and the purpose of the Second Amendment" confuses this issue further. We can probably agree on the purpose of the Second Amendment. However, the purpose of the Second Amendment is related to but not the same as the purpose of a firearm.
Third, making distinctions actually supports your right to bear arms. No one will issue a CCW if they ask "Why do you want to carry?" and you say "I might have to kill someone."
Fourth, if you refuse to make warranted distinctions, and you have to shoot someone someday, you will be a defense attorney's nightmare. Good luck with that.

When armed citizens carry, it's not because they might have to shoot someone. It's because a need may arise where they must protect themselves or someone else. Sometimes the mere presence of a gun accomplishes that. And sometimes, unfortunately, the trigger must be pulled. Countless cases demonstrate that.

This comment by RickyD makes clear the distinction between what firearms were designed to do, and what their purpose is. His first sentence is about design. The rest is about purpose:
Originally Posted by RickyD
Guns were certainly invented to kill. However, nearly all current gun owners do not buy firearms to kill people. Many or most will use them for that purpose if it means protecting themselves and their loved ones in their homes, property, and places of business. But that potential use is way down the list and one no one ever wishes to occur.

I hope you have never bought a firearm for the purpose of killing someone. If you have, and you ever do, you will join Aaron Hernandez.

If you believe what a gun is designed for and what a gun's purpose is are the same, every anti-gun liberal will not only agree with you, they will use your words to eliminate guns. The pro-gun position is to say that even though a gun is designed to kill people, God forbid it be used for that purpose.

You remind me of the time my liberal ex-brother-in-law asked me what he should do with an old, rusty, worthless rifle. I told him to wait for a gun buy-back in the city where he lived. Six months later I asked him in front of his 12 year old daughter if he ever got rid of the gun. This was the first his daughter knew of it, and she said, "Daddy, did you used to kill people?" Which is exactly what her liberal mother wanted her to believe is the only purpose of guns.

Steve.

You seem to confuse your purpose with the purposeful design of a gun.

Certain firearms are designed to kill. Some are designed to kill people. You may purchase one and carry it with a completely different purpose, but that is YOUR purpose, separate and distinct from the purposeful design of the gun.

Your purpose for owning a sword might legitimately be to swing away at a training post for hours on end. But unless the sword is a wooden replica, that was not the purpose of its design.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Guns are not like cars, but like airbags:

Invisible, unless in use
Rarely used
Nearly instantaneously available
Designed to protect the user from extraneous traumatic injury
The aftermath of deployment is usually messy and expensive

Sic Semper Tyrannis
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Corolation is not causality .
How many guns do you own?
How many cars?
Figures are just that.
The number one dog responsible for bites in the US is the cocker spaniel.
Does that mean they are dangerous?
No.
The number one bit person in the US is groomers.
So since spaniels require more grooming that pits, bulldogs, pincers, ect. They, of course, are responsible.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The purpose of guns is to allow citizens to protect themselves from criminals. Criminals both in and out of the government, Tyrant Obama the Liar and Trayvon Martin.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Certain firearms are designed to kill. Some are designed to kill people. You may purchase one and carry it with a completely different purpose, but that is YOUR purpose, separate and distinct from the purposeful design of the gun.

Your purpose for owning a sword might legitimately be to swing away at a training post for hours on end. But unless the sword is a wooden replica, that was not the purpose of its design.

"Purpose" versus "purposeful design"? Thanks. That post amply demonstrates that you're the one willing to use language to confuse.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Christ sakes

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The purpose of guns is to make the maker/shareholder money.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

"Purpose" versus "purposeful design"? Thanks. That post amply demonstrates that you're the one willing to use language to confuse.

Steve.

Apparently, no language is needed to confuse you.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The purpose of guns is to make money.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tucker1965
I would say that guns have many purposes, just to name a few:
1. The protection of life, liberty and property (2nd Amendment stuff, protecting ourselves those who would do steal, murder and rape);
2. Provide food;
3. Deterrence (one of the many reasons Japan never tried to invade mainland USA in WWII was that there would be a armed man behind every door); and
4. Recreation and sport.

Fortunately, we typically only use them for #2 and #4 above, but the mere fact we have them serves to prevent having to use them for #1 and #3 above.

Just my thoughts.

I like that. Well said.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman
The purpose of guns is to make money.

From a manufacturing standpoint, but that's rich coming from someone who can't figure out how to get paid for work done (pun intended).

Of course, that leaves out self built firearms, firearms left as an inheritance or a gift, guns sold as a loss, etc.

No surprise that you fail to grasp a myriad of concepts.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We have sporting purposes to make sure only police and military have weapons that are designed and manufactured solely to kill(or at least intimidate) people.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
There are NO dangerous weapons (guns), only dangerous people!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not true because firearms safety legislation for civilians always has strong bipartisan support.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Windy right now.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
He is right. The sole express purpose of many guns is to kill people. No reason to deny it, sugar coat it, or pretend differently. The 2nd Amendment is not about shooting sports or hunting. It is about killing those who need killing in either protection of oneself or checking abusive government power.

This!!

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Originally Posted by WyColoCowboy
[Linked Image]

Take the inner city hoodrats out of those numbers, and I wonder what that graph would look like?

Yep. I bet the gun death numbers would go down at least 50% if the hood rats factor was removed.
Just take a look at the number of murders per capital in Chitcago & DC.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager
Originally Posted by Tucker1965
I would say that guns have many purposes, just to name a few:
1. The protection of life, liberty and property (2nd Amendment stuff, protecting ourselves those who would do steal, murder and rape);
2. Provide food;
3. Deterrence (one of the many reasons Japan never tried to invade mainland USA in WWII was that there would be a armed man behind every door); and
4. Recreation and sport.

Fortunately, we typically only use them for #2 and #4 above, but the mere fact we have them serves to prevent having to use them for #1 and #3 above.

Just my thoughts.

I like that. Well said.

Allow me to condense. A gun is nothing but a tool, and like any tool, it's "purpose" is to make a task easier to accomplish. Not every job that a gun enables is noble, but like any other tool, the user is solely responsible for what it does.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

492 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 57 invisible), 2,904 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.