Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
gonzaga Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Interested in any trades for that CZ?

Do you gentlemen use Lil Gun as your powder of choice? I've been seeing guys use small pistol primers too....is that the norm? They say small rifle primers have resulted in split cases.

GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I always would advise a new Hornet owner to start with Lilgun powder. Hodgdon says the pressures are lower and the speeds are higher. I can't measure pressures, but I can velocity, and I get 2,850fps with a 45gr bullet out a a 20" Ruger M77 (mine is a plain Hornet, not 'K').

As to primers, most of my Hornet loads use a small pistol, but I have very good loads with small rifle as well. Try them and see.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Love 22 Hornets..

Savage 342, not the prettiest thing but they do tend to be accurate.

[Linked Image]

The 19H on the top here is a 22 Hornet, and is a neat old gun. The bottom is a 23 in 22LR, but you can find them in 22 Hornet also. Considering the schnabel tip on the forearm, that's definitely on my list.

[Linked Image]

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I keep waiting on Ruger to offer an American RAR in 22 Hornet

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Rolltide
I keep waiting on Ruger to offer an American RAR in 22 Hornet

Then the next logical step would be .17 hornet, I don't think they could make them fast enough!

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
FieldGrade,

I apologize for being a little abrupt, but so many answers here are like yours, telling the OP that he's basically FOS, and should do something else entirely.

Why does it always have to be either/or on the Campfire? For all we know, he may already own a .221, and may just want to try something else.

And why can't we own both? Many of us take a lot of pleasure in hauling half a dozen rifles in various chamberings on a prairie dog shoot. I've owned (and shot considerably) a bunch of different rifles in various chamberings, including all the commercial varmint rounds presently available except for the .17 Winchester super whatsis rimfire (and am thinking bout buying one), along with some wildcats, and gotten pleasure from all of them.

Some I've liked better than others, which is why I no longer own a .221, or a .220 Swift, or a few others, but am constantly trying stuff, which is why I came to the conclusion that the .17 Fireball is superior to the .221. The .20 Varget is another I've been thinking about, but have tried Jim Calhoon's .19's and kinda feel like I've been there and done that already.

But I'm NOT going to get on a thread like this and say "Get a ....." instead, which is what so often happens here: Somebody asks about some cartridge, rifle or scope, and 17 people say there are 17 other cartridges, rifles and scopes far better, without even knowing whether the OP had tried them already.

You could also have said the .222 Remington will do anything the .221 Fireball will do, but better, or the .17 Hornet will do anything the .22 Hornet will do, but better. You may even have been correct, but he was asking about experiences with the .22 Hornet, not other cartridges.

You just accurately encapsulated almost every thread on this forum when anyone asks a question.

# of members - 14 = # of experts.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I always really like the posts that consist of:

"Use XYZ and you can quit looking."

"XYZ is your huckleberry."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
To the OP,

You can quit looking because I found your Huckleberry:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/9828808/WTS:__Ruger_No._1-B_22_Hornet_#Post9828808

Clark

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
gonzaga Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks buddy, I'll look into that.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
Biggest POS I ever owned was a Ruger 77/22H.
I liked the rifle a lot and really wanted it to work out so I did everything I could short of rebarreling including a trip to some guy that specializes in accurizing Rugers. $200+ later and it still wouldn't shoot MOA.

I had the same problem. Nice laminate stock and greyed action and barrel and no matter what I tried, shot like a turd.

Also had a 527 that wouldn't single load for some reason. Heard that was an issue with the earlier models. Had to load each round in the magazine or it wouldn't feed. Was plenty accurate but annoying as hell when at the range.

Finally found a 527 Maple that is my current 22H. I have since replaced the scope but it also came with nice Leupold rings and didn't break the bank.
[Linked Image]

I too have found the best success with Lil' Gun and 35gr and 40gr VMax. I've also tried with and without both Small Pistol and Small Rifle primers and did have a few piercings with SP.

Prvi makes decent brass for the Hornet but seems to be thicker and will pressure up quicker in my experience. No such issue with Remington or Winchester.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SShooterZ
Also had a 527 that wouldn't single load for some reason. Heard that was an issue with the earlier models. Had to load each round in the magazine or it wouldn't feed. Was plenty accurate but annoying as hell when at the range.

Isn't that the way CRF is supposed to work?

I don't normally like maple stocks but that one really looks good with the deep blue finish. Nice find.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I don't normally like maple stocks but that one really looks good with the deep blue finish. Nice find.

I don't know if that was design or design flaw. If I had the magazine in and dropped a round on top of the magazine, couldn't close the bolt. The rim wouldn't load under the lip of the bolt for lack of a better term. If I loaded it in the magazine, would load perfectly with the rim loading under the lip. Fast forward to the current 527 as seen above, either drop it on the magazine or load it in the magazine and it chambers perfectly. No "lip" issues. IDK, maybe I was doing something wrong.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I think punching the 77 Hornets to the K version fixes a lot of the throat/mag confine issues.

My dad had one and it went down the road though. Papa 'flave wouldn't play 'dat schit.

Travis

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

I don't know if that was design or design flaw. If I had the magazine in and dropped a round on top of the magazine, couldn't close the bolt. The rim wouldn't load under the lip of the bolt for lack of a better term. If I loaded it in the magazine, would load perfectly with the rim loading under the lip. Fast forward to the current 527 as seen above, either drop it on the magazine or load it in the magazine and it chambers perfectly. No "lip" issues. IDK, maybe I was doing something wrong.

That's what FG is talking about, the CZ is CRF, Mauser style action. They are designed for a round to be pushed up into the bolt and under the extractor from the mag. where it's held in place while closing the bolt. If you lay a loose round on top of the mag. the only way the bolt will close is forcing the extractor to snap over the rim which probably isn't going to be good for the extractor. I'm sure others can shine more light on this subject than I can, most of my rifles are Remington's and can be loaded as you described.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wish I still had my old one to compare but I could have sworn that I read somewhere (Saubier maybe) that the design changed. With the extractors they way they are, I don't know that I would be able to generate near the force to close the bolt by forcing them over the rim. That would seem darn near impossible. I'll have to pull it out of the safe and see if I can recognize a difference between the two. Or its the way the magazine sits that allows the bolt to grab the round when sitting on top.

I can tell you with confidence though that there was definitely a difference between the two. The older one I had would have required a dead blow to get that bolt to close when single fed. The new one does it without issue and you can't tell the difference between single feeding it or via the magazine.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Many CRF rifles have a bevel on the front edge of the extractor so it will easily cam over the rim of a chambered round. The pre-'64 Winchester Model 70 is a good example, but it's easy to do on a 98 Mauser extractor too. Otherwise 98 extractors won't go over the rim of a chambered case, though there are exceptions.

Some ammo has more of a bevel on the back edge of the rim, which can also help.

Maybe CZ put a bevel on the extractor of 527's in the past few years, or maybe one simply got skipped during manufacturing.

I believe the extractors of both my Brno ZKW-465 (the forerunned or the CZ 527) in .22 K-Hornet and my 527 .17 Hornet will snap over the rim of a chambered round, but now I'm gonna have to try both to make sure....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here I found it on Saubier. Most have been an early model 527 I had.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by willecoyote

That's what FG is talking about, the CZ is CRF, Mauser style action. They are designed for a round to be pushed up into the bolt and under the extractor from the mag. where it's held in place while closing the bolt. If you lay a loose round on top of the mag. the only way the bolt will close is forcing the extractor to snap over the rim which probably isn't going to be good for the extractor. I'm sure others can shine more light on this subject than I can, most of my rifles are Remington's and can be loaded as you described.

Yea that's what I was talking about,,, thanks for explaining it for me Wiley.
I've heard/read discussions about the extractor "snapping" over the rim as well as modifications to make it do so but the general consensus always seemed to end up being that CRF simply wasn't originally designed to work that way.
To tell you the truth, I don't know if mine will or not because I've never tried to single feed it. Or for that matter,, worried about it,, I just load the magazine.
I can sure agree that it's a PITA at the range but I hardly ever shoot mine there.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
My Hornet is a Browning A-bolt.. Like Bea, I find it very accurate, I use it quite a bit for gophers, p.dogs, cottontails, shot about 5 turkeys with it, a coyote and some fox.. I really enjoy my Hornet.. I have larger .22 centerfires for other shooting.. I used my Hornet quite a bit every summer, until I got my .22 mag.. Now I often shoot it since I don't have to reload.. I think if I were buying a new Hornet, I would probably go with CZ if I couldn't find an A-bolt.. Of course a model 70 would be the best, but they are tough to locate and expensive..

Molon Labe
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (22250rem, 222Sako, 12344mag, 160user, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,020 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,003
Posts18,481,415
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.