-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just the optics on the FX3 are worth the extra coin to me.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
For those of you that use a straight 6X............what are your reasons???

Just get one and try it and then you too will know

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I have a couple questions.

One, is the 6 x 36 or the 6 x 42 better for mounting on a long action rifle? Is it do to the tube lenght,ring mounting area spacing, eye relief or a combination of factors.

Two, is the 42 that much better than the 36 in low light conditions.

I usually have my scopes mounted farther rearward to get the eye relief I need and either use a rail to get the ring placement or extended rings, i.e. Ruger M77 Mark II and Hawkeyes.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Brad
The campfire is known for its love of the 6x. I know I like them. But the truth is, the older I get the more I prefer a bit more magnification on the top end.

Amen brother.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Sanchez
I have a couple questions.

One, is the 6 x 36 or the 6 x 42 better for mounting on a long action rifle? Is it do to the tube lenght,ring mounting area spacing, eye relief or a combination of factors.

Two, is the 42 that much better than the 36 in low light conditions.

I usually have my scopes mounted farther rearward to get the eye relief I need and either use a rail to get the ring placement or extended rings, i.e. Ruger M77 Mark II and Hawkeyes.

There's more straight tube to put the rings around so the 36mm version is more flexible for mounting.

I've had both and IMO the 42mm is noticeably brighter. Although the likelihood of that difference making a hunt successful vs. unsuccessful is exactly ZERO.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer

Brad, for what purpose? When/where are you finding the higher magnification useful?

I'm not Brad but I find more magnification useful any time I have time to lay down and shoot something.

But I love the 6X as a happy medium.

A very happy medium...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Sanchez, both the 6x36 & 6x42 will work but as already posted the 6x36 can be set back about 4.5" more. You may need medium height rings for the 6x42 but the low rings will work fine with the 6x36.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
If anyone is running a Weaver K6 what are your thoughts on this scope?

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I admit, I run several K6 Weavers. And I like them!
The oldest about 10 years and the newest about 2.
I stuck one on my 84M in .243, just to test the rifle and now see no reason to change. And that was 5 years ago.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It was a steel-tubed El Paso K6 I bought here that sold me on fixed 6s.

The new ones appear to me to be a great value but I've never purchased one because:

1) between lack of straight tube length and shorter eye relief relative to the Leupolds, they can be a tough fit for long action rifles

2) they don't offer a ballistic reticle

3) they don't offer turrets

Their optics are great for the money, so if you have a short action rifle and are happy with a Plex reticle they can be a great starting point to the fixed 6x game.

On the other hand, there are 6x36s that come up in classifieds regularly for $200-ish...

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by rahtreelimbs
For those of you that use a straight 6X............what are your reasons???

Here are three of my reasons. Two year old 6x36.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

the Kudu and Jackal were taken at the very last moments of useable light. luckily, both were about 40 yds out.
The Wildebeest at a lazed 225 in a 20-25 mph cross wind.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
rahtreelimbs- the Weaver K6 has been the overperforming best bang for buck scope for the last decade or more. Very good, bright, glass in an attractive trim package with superb adjustments. I introduced many to them and had more than one argue I HAD to pay more than I was saying I did for something so bright. I can tell you I chucked an VX-1 in favor for a K6 at half the price and never looked back.

Recently a lot of scope lines have made some dramatic improvements on lower price point models making the competition tighter but the K6 remains as good or better than anything else at its cost in my book.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Savuti, what rifle is that in your hands? Nice looking and the 6x36 fits it well. powdr

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Thanks guys that helps. Sounds like I would be good either way but would have a bit more cake left in my pocket and mounting freedom with the FXII. I am wanting to go this route on my next light weight coyote/hunting rifle.

Has anyone used or still using a Burris 6x? I know they are out of production but could still get my hands on one of those.

A man only learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
They're really good as well. When it was in production they offered a slightly thicker plex-type reticle that wasn't as thick as Leupold's Heavy Duplex, especially in the crosshair section, but was still a definite plus in dim light. I hunted with one of those for years and liked it a lot.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Featherweight 7x57 from the 2013 run.

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I bought a Burris FFII 6x 40mm plex from John and put it on my favorite varmint/long range plinking rifle after sending it in for an elevation turret. LOVE it. Though not as lightweight as the Leupold they're excellent.

I got an M8 6x36mm here for $165 and put it on my Win 70 FW 280AI and don't feel a bit handicapped.

I was going to get a VX3 3.5-10 w/ B&C till this thread (using my KISS logic) convinced me to do a VXII 6x36mm w/ LRD instead.

Thanks all.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Mule Deer & EFW thats good enough endorsement for me. If I can still pick up the Burris I will give it a try or the FXII. Thanks.

I want to keep this rifle light and simple and another 25-06, unless a certain 257 Roberts follows me home that I have been eyeballin way too long.

I think I am the only 25 cal rifle looney in the state.

W
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
W
Most of my scopes are Leupold, but a couple of years ago or so I saw a positive recommedation from Mule Deer about the Burris FFII 6X. As I recall, this was about the time they were being discontinued and some places had them at close-out prices. Don't remember what I paid, but it was really cheap. I put it on my 7x57 and have been happy indeed.

Al

Spend your life wisely.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have used the Leupold 4x M8,Leupold 4x33,Leupold 6x36 and they all work just fine
But so do the Leupold Variables .
I like the higher power of a 3-9x40 but like the durability
of a fixed Power.
Thing is I have never had a problem with a Leupold Variable !
So the fixed power advantage is theoretical for me.
When I go hunting I always have a second rifle(Mauser 8mm JS guild rifle with a Leupold M8 4x) in camp anyway
IF I should have a scope or rifle problem

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 55 invisible), 2,385 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,860
Posts18,517,817
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.