Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by CCCC
You or others might explore further - I would not.

I'm sorry.

I thought you already had one.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Down-range velocities compared —

• 50-grain V-Max @ 3,850 ft/sec, BC 0.242 (.220 Swift, Hornady factory load)
• 75-grain A-Max @ 3,450 ft/sec, BC 0.435 (.224 Laser, maximum handload)

@ 199 yd — Swift 2,998 ft.sec — Laser 2,998 ft/sec
@ 500 yd — Swift 1,965 ft/sec — Laser 2,393 ft/sec
@ 1,000 yd — Swift 998 ft/sec — Laser 1,562 ft/sec
Whoa.. Now THAT is speed retention..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Steve's kinda gruff with Ken as Ken has offended him in the past.
I'm always surprised how passive/aggressive/easily offended Steve is considering the mature believer he is."

The overriding mark of intellectual honesty is the practice of "putting principles before personalities".

Letting a dispute about religious matters influence a conversation about rifle cartridges is definitely NOT an example of that principle.

And it appears as if that is what happened here.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have not seen it for sure.

But has anyone ever really tested all this theoretical stuff with the .224 Laser over a sufficient number of barrels, shots, and field use to see if the theory tests out?

Has there been any real pressure testing done either by an individual or manufacturer?

Is there any hard data period?

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been in the Swift camp for 35 + yrs and don't see a change anytime soon...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave
You or others might explore further - I would not.

I'm sorry. I thought you already had one. Travis

No need for sorry - no offense - merely responding to your comment on further exploration of what sounded like a dead issue.

But then ?? - you thought I already had one what?

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
okie - nice post. Maybe not the optimum powder and type for the cartridge, but have used Reloader19 and it's what's in my measure right now. I read 34.7 grains of the Reloader19 with bullet seated as you describe. The designer probably can give you the case volume in water - maybe measured to the bottm of the neck - maybe not.

I wanted this rifle/cartridge for a special reason - started with a good used barrel - and agree that getting to the proper case dimensions can be a challenge. As you would probably opine, the specific dies make it easier. But, have also gone the described multi-step route from 25:06 brass. On some days I maybe can be concentrated and patient.

I do not know the complete history of that line of cartridges. But, as for basic case selection, have a hunch that one intent may have been that most - if not all - would be founded on the basic 30:06 case. I may be way off there.

CCCC I believe you are correct about the case selection being from the 30-06 family being an original strong point with the same applying to Fred Zeglin's "Hawk" line of cartridges. That and a seemingly endless supply of actions with that bolt face laying around should keep a fella wanting to do this on the same general track. The 5.6 x 57 RWS case looks like it could be a contender for this type of project, maybe improved in the Ackley fashion and therefore able to fire factory loaded ammo. The brass is expensive but available and very little work involved... Hmmmm.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

The 222 chamberings are like pulling a 9 iron out of the bag to use. Very useful. The Swift type could easily be considered a 4... grin grin

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by okie
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem

The 222 chamberings are like pulling a 9 iron out of the bag to use. Very useful. The Swift type could easily be considered a 4... grin grin

Yep it's plenty of speed in my book for varments but I've been very successful with the heavies on venisons and speed goats as well.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I thought you had a .220 Howell and could explain the advantages of the cartridge.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by curdog4570
I'm always surprised how passive/aggressive/easily offended Steve is considering the mature believer he is."

The overriding mark of intellectual honesty is the practice of "putting principles before personalities".

Letting a dispute about religious matters influence a conversation about rifle cartridges is definitely NOT an example of that principle.

You'd have to be a Texan to make that leap.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by curdog4570

You'd have to be a Texan to make that leap.

Travis

That is a pretty big leap even for a Texan. I am thinking severe anal/cranial inversion is the real cause.

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

His public language doesn't sound like a mature believer to me. He sounds like the typical unbeliever I used to work with.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ringman

His public language doesn't sound like a mature believer to me. He sounds like the typical unbeliever I used to work with.

I never thought you could be more wrong than you have been about various scientific matters. It appears I was mistaken, and you have outdone even yourself in wrongness and stupidity.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I thought you had a .220 Howell and could explain the advantages of the cartridge. Travis

OK - good - I do have one, but have been otherwise occupied and have not yet done nearly enough with it to give knowldgeable comments about such advantages. It does look advantageous in the data, but I have way to go. The initial experience with the 75gr was good - tight grouping and flat. Now need to do some chrono work - and need to improve the brass process.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

SMD.

God bless,
Travis

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I thought you had a .220 Howell and could explain the advantages of the cartridge. Travis

OK - good - I do have one, but have been otherwise occupied and have not yet done nearly enough with it to give knowldgeable comments about such advantages. It does look advantageous in the data, but I have way to go. The initial experience with the 75gr was good - tight grouping and flat. Now need to do some chrono work - and need to improve the brass process.

Thanks.

Travis

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

There is no doubt that it has taken several generations of highly selected INBREEDING to reach this level of sheer STUPIDITY!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey guys - Am thinking we have seen some folks on here reach what looks like religious fervor about various cartridges, or rifle makes, etc. Maybe some of that mixed in here - maybe not to be taken very seriously.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Does everyone need to hug?

I'll be behind you.

P.S. I like Ackley.
My friends can't steal my ammo.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (25aught6, 10Glocks, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 63 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,446
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.