Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Shooting into water is a severe test for a hollow point bullet. It encounters nearly perfect hydraulic action to initiate violent expansion.

GB1

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Because other bullets that shoot just as well in my rifle did relatively better, that's why.

I recognize that water isn't a realistic on-game test, and use it to compare bullets side-by-side. In this instance 90 gr NBTS came out on top by a healthy margin; if anyone would prefer to ignore my insight in favor of something else I'll not so much as frown but wish them all the luck in the world with their choice. We live in the golden age of bullets and it'd be dumb not to enjoy it.

For that reason I'd suggest saying that to not shoot a bullet someone else favors is an insult is unnecessarily limiting. I have confidence in what I have confidence in and you're free to do the same. As you imply, your friend's results speak for themselves and I have no problem with that. I just prefer something different. Free markets and free will are beautiful that way and I don't really have room in my life for easily bruised egos or sandy manginas. Reality TV isn't popular at my camp either.

YMMV, and that's great for you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Higbean
. I'd also say if your .243 won't shoot them then your .243 won't shoot.

Then you'd be wrong...at least in two cases that I am very familiar with.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by efw
Because other bullets that shoot just as well in my rifle did relatively better, that's why.

I recognize that water isn't a realistic on-game test, and use it to compare bullets side-by-side. In this instance 90 gr NBTS came out on top by a healthy margin; if anyone would prefer to ignore my insight in favor of something else I'll not so much as frown but wish them all the luck in the world with their choice. We live in the golden age of bullets and it'd be dumb not to enjoy it.

For that reason I'd suggest saying that to not shoot a bullet someone else favors is an insult is unnecessarily limiting. I have confidence in what I have confidence in and you're free to do the same. As you imply, your friend's results speak for themselves and I have no problem with that. I just prefer something different. Free markets and free will are beautiful that way and I don't really have room in my life for easily bruised egos or sandy manginas. Reality TV isn't popular at my camp either.

YMMV, and that's great for you.

efw, I'm sorry. I didn't mean that to come off the way it did. A better way to put it would be this. If a bullet fails miserably in test media, but the majority of on game test results by trustworthy people are good, what is the truth?

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
what is the truth?
If you wade through all the bullshit on the net, you might have a good start for what works for you.
May not work for me or Joe Shmoe either.
The truth is Rifles are like women, no 2 are the same. They all liked played with a different way.

YMMV.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
TAC; They work damn well on deer down here in Ga. Hornady's 87gr BTHP works well too. Shoot the animal in the chest with either one at 3200-3300 MV from 25 to 200 yds.= no lost game.

WILL.

DON'T SWEAT THE SMALL STUFF:......IT'S ALL SMALL STUFF!
D@MN; I miss my meds.
THE WINDS OF TYRANNY HAVE SHIFTED. BETTER TIMES AHEAD.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I been using this bullet since the late 70's. Killed hundreds of deer, hog, and ground hogs with this bullet. Only had to track a few not because the bullet failed it was because my shot was off. I don't feel handicapped at all using this bullet on deer. One of the best bullets that Sierra puts out. Also love the 90gr hpbt in 25 cal too.

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
That's a great and fair question.

For me it was a cofidence issue. Honestly I probably could go out and rib shoot a ton of deer w/o issue, but knowing what I know (particularly having dropped game decisively w/ the 90 gr NBT load I run through that rifle) as soon as something less than perfect presented itself I'd pass.

I don't know how to compare... I mean what if my buddy is running a really mild load and mine is full throttle? 250 FPS can make or break a bullet, particularly a frangible one at close range.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Soft bullets work great on deer shot broadside thru the ribs.

I prefer bullets built to penetrate from any angle I decide to shoot.

Not denying others' success, just expressing my preference. YMMV

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Taconic11
I do have some RL19, but a lot more of RL15 or TAC? Anyone use RL15 or TAC?

Between 36 and 37 grains of RL15 should work.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Taconic11
Anyone use these for Whitetail?

I've shot a pile of whitetails with both the 85 grain HPBT .243" and 90 grain HPBT .257" bullets, but no longer use either of them for game. I had a bad experience where four of them, two of each weight/diameter, disintegrated on the surface, without penetrating into the pleural cavity. The wounds were, for lack of a better word, horrific, blowing dinner plate size pieces of hide and flesh off the animals. It must have been painful and certainly not quickly fatal.

Now I shoot a lot of Nosler Partitions, plenty of expansion and penetration, but generally not quite as accurate as the Sierras. I still shoot Sierra at varmints and don't mind a little bullet disintegration.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
This bullet has built a strong reputation for killing deer, but I believe in the adage, "There is no replacement for displacement." In other words, a light bullet will do fine MOST of the time, but more weight will always help assure reliable performance.

I always preferred 100-grain bullets when using a 6mm or .243. I don't get using a light caliber for deer and then not using the heavier bullets for the caliber.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I don't get using a light caliber for deer and then not using the heavier bullets for the caliber.

I don't disagree with your statement. However, some barrels will not stabilize the 100 grainers. I have a CZ550 in .243 with a supposedly 10 twist barrel that no matter how hard I try, it will not shoot a 100 grain bullet. The heaviest I've been able to try thus far is an 87 grainer and it does OK. However, the Sierra 85 gr HPBTs shoot lights out. That's what I'm stuck with and they seem to work and work well for me.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by devnull
Originally Posted by sbhooper
I don't get using a light caliber for deer and then not using the heavier bullets for the caliber.

I don't disagree with your statement. However, some barrels will not stabilize the 100 grainers. I have a CZ550 in .243 with a supposedly 10 twist barrel that no matter how hard I try, it will not shoot a 100 grain bullet. The heaviest I've been able to try thus far is an 87 grainer and it does OK. However, the Sierra 85 gr HPBTs shoot lights out. That's what I'm stuck with and they seem to work and work well for me.

Exception noted.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My thing is deer are not that big and a 243 shooting any decent bullet is pretty good size for the task. "I think" so many people are used to looking at their 270's and "7 mags" that makes the 243 seem small.? We use from 223 to 6.5-284 the most I guess?...and don't really notice any difference in performance on the killing end of things.

My expierence with the 85 is its a little tender and I'd stay away from the shoulders if I could. That said after I started making roast from the shoulder I don't aim there anymore!

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Save them shoulders....Laffin
[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well and good for culling does when you can wait for the perfect presentation.

But If I'm after may grande I want to be prepared for whatever opportunity he may present.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I agree with you a little bit but you've sorta took what I said and ran with it. We went from shooting deer in the lungs to doe culling and perfect presentations.

We all hunt in different locations I understand. I also think we sometimes get a little carried away. Deer are not that hard to kill and the 85 isn't that tender either. If you seem to always be faced with Texas heart shots and such I'd opt for the 85tsx.

Last edited by Kaleb; 05/06/15.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You know in all seriousness a 257 Weatherby shooting 80 or 100gr x's fast might be where it's at for quick fast hurry type stuff?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's one of many options that would likely work well in a wide variety of situations. As you say, deer ain't hard to kill.

But note 260Remguy's experience. And as someone else so rightly opined: The bullet is more important than the head stamp.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (160user, 1234, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,629 guests, and 1,351 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,721
Posts18,475,781
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.