Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by EdM
I am still using a set of Chicago Cutlery knives we received as a wedding gift 28 years ago. Food still tastes good.

Well said.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
^^^^^ Also agree on not needing to be a set. You can get very good knives from Dexter Russel or Victorinox. Not the best that can be had, and no one brags about this type of knife, but they are the ones you will see in most commercial kitchens and butcher shops.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
might as well just buy junk Chinese kitchen knives at a flea market then, and be done with it. laugh

Sam......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If it fits your hand, it is good. Keep it sharp at all times. Too small usually works better than too big. 8" Chefs knife t start, boning knife, paring, carving to fill out as you go. Quality pays in the long run, but there is a lot of really good steel out there in the cheaper ones too.

Sean
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
As I mentioned, I've got my Henckels and won't be needing to buy any more knives. You get what you pay for with knives. If you're planning on cooking a lot, get some good stuff.

I got lucky a few years ago when I bought the last set as a gift for niece's wedding. 9-piece set with horizontal cuts butcher block and front cuts for steak knives was $150 out the door. Haven't seen that deal in a while. I know my set was over $300 when GF bought them for me 7 years ago.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
might as well just buy junk Chinese kitchen knives at a flea market then, and be done with it. laugh

If you find one of these lacking in the kitchen.

[Linked Image]

Maybe you need help on finding the sharp side of the blade wink

Last edited by 458 Lott; 04/29/15.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
yeah, I know. It's much like the old saw "The Mora is a great knife for the money". smile

While true, there are better knives. Trust me, I know my way around kitchen blades. smile

Sam......

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
My oft stated humble opinion is the K Sabatier Carbon Steel French knives rule.
A 10 inch, a 6 inch, and a paring knife, will do it all. They keep a keen edge, are easy to touch up, and acquire a beautiful patina as they age, and you use them.
The sharp, small tips are where real work is done, and these excel with that.

You may drink cheap beer, you may ruin good whiskey, but you do have it right on Sabatier. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I actually have a sixer of Dogfish Head 90 Minute Ale in the cooler as we speak. Heading off to spend the weekend killing hogs along the banks of the Ocmulgee river, in middle Georgia.
Taking a liter of Old Weller Antique as well. Yeah, and an 8 pack of Coke, but what the hey? laugh

Sam......

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That, my dear Sir, sounds like a weekend seized. Great plan. I would personally take mercy on the whiskey and dump the Coke where it does the least amount of harm but hey ;-)

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B3

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
My oft stated humble opinion is the K Sabatier Carbon Steel French knives rule.

Humble maybe but not accurate with regard to cutting performance...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Teal- the one I get the most mileage out of is a Normark 4" filet knife.....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by teal
So - I've decided that I need to learn to cook and cook well. That means gear and as someone who's never had his own kitchen before - I'm a bit lost.

And let us know when you want us to start fighting over what pots/pans to recommend. grin

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Ima gonna spend yer $500 for ya...

Not sure if you have a decent cutting surface so I'd start there.

End grain wood (or sani-tuff) is what you want - easy on the knife's edge.
This guy is selling out remaining inventory. I have one and it is far better made than the commercial brand Boos. Last a lifetime if cared for.

Board- $100 to $150
http://theboardsmith.com/product/12x18-218/

210mm Gyuto - $180
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/rikoaosu21gy.html

Bread knife/carver - $90
http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=83635

In hand parer (or a 150mm petty/utility for board work) - $80
http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=83335

Stones - $50
http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=80007

If you are a bachelor skip the knife block or mag strip for now and just get a couple of blade guards and put in the drawer.
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/kniflugandac.html

Learn some online tutorials on sharpening and practice on some old garage sale knives...

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I actually have a sixer of Dogfish Head 90 Minute Ale in the cooler as we speak. Heading off to spend the weekend killing hogs along the banks of the Ocmulgee river, in middle Georgia.
Taking a liter of Old Weller Antique as well. Yeah, and an 8 pack of Coke, but what the hey? laugh

Sounds like a plan, Sam. Have fun!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
T
tjk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Teal, have to agree with EdM on Chicago Cutlery. I bought a set about 20 yrs. ago and still have no complaints. Set came with a smooth steel, which I recommend over any gritty sharpener. My $0.02 worth. YMMV.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Teal,

If I were in your shoes, I would not be spending big $$ on knives especially at this stage.

This is especially so if a non knife person shares the kitchen and has access to them while you are not around..

I say this having owned examples of many of the knives already mentioned, from the cheaper ones to some of the top end German and French ones.

I would suggest the following..

10" bread knife (serrated edge)
8" cook knife
4" utility knife
3" small paring
3" small tomato knife (serrated edge)
small pair of cooks scissors
2 different coloured chop blocks (keep one for raw meats/poultry only)

As for brands, I would suggest Kitchen Devils to start with..They are cheap as chips and keep an edge. Don't worry about sharpening them as they are cheap enough to replace any that go blunt... I would think you would probably have change from $75 and can use the rest of your budget on pots and pans ect, plus maybe enroling in some cookery lessons at night school?

If in 12 months you are still serious about cooking, then I would start looking at a decent 8" cooks knife and decent 4" Utility/Boning knife, plus a steel to keep them sharp..Even then, I would still keep the Kitchen Devils around as "beaters"..

Regards,

Peter

Last edited by Pete E; 05/02/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Victronix makes great steel for not a lot of money. It ain't fancy carbon steel, but guaranteed it'll hang with it and be far more durable.

You'd be hard pressed to need more than a 8 or 10" chefs and a few of the little 3" paring knives. A 4 to 6" boner and a 8" butcher blade would be my next two. A decent pair of poultry shears are pretty handy.

I'd maybe look at one of Sam's K Sabs or a nice gyuto and fill out the rest with more utilitarian molded handle stainless type offerings.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Victronix makes great steel for not a lot of money. It ain't fancy carbon steel, but guaranteed it'll hang with it and be far more durable.

^^^^^^ The Mooner's given you some good advise IMO.

It's not like you're going to be processing a side of beef or dicing five gallon buckets of vegetables.
I'd start with a 6" kitchen knife and 4.5" parer like this duo for around $50 from Victorinox.

[Linked Image]

Then get hold of Vince over in the knife forum and pick up one of his Russel Green River boning knives.

[Linked Image]
Like this, cept he does a better job than I do.

Spend the rest of the money on a good cutting board, a pair of shears, and two or three good pans and you'll be on your way.

Luck

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Never seen the use for shears in a kitchen in terms of food prep.

How do you use them in that regard?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 10ring1, 1_deuce, 12savage, 2ndwind, 30 invisible), 2,258 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,502
Posts18,490,492
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.