Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I think I was in eighth grade when I read about the passing of the last Confederate veteran.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I was a kid we would visit my Uncle at Woods Memorial VA.There were several men pointed out as Civil War Veterans.it did not mean much to me then as I was a little kid.Once I was in school and studied American History I remembered and was amazed I had seen live individuals who had fought then.My Great Grandfather fought in the Union Army,but I never met him.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty cool. I had a GG grandfather and GGG grandfather that both served in the Missouri Militia and later the Missouri 15th Cavalry in skirmishes that occurred in Stone County during the Civil War(named after my GGGG Grandfather, who served in with Lt. Nance's Co. of the Tennessee Volunteers in the Battle of New Orleans, War of 1812 before emigrating to Missouri in 1833.

"Naming this county in honor of William Stone was an honor well bestowed, and the designation of the house of John a Williams as the place of holding all courts until a permanent seat of justice shall be established, no doubt, was because the place was well known. William Stone, Maryland born, lived in Virginia and in Tennessee prior to his immigration to Missouri about 1833. He had served throughout the War of 1812, including the Battle of New Orleans, under General Jackson. After coming here, he held various positions of honor and distinction, including Judge of the County Court of Taney County. No doubt he was one of Jackson’s marksmen at New Orleans, for he was a well known skilled marksman in this region thereafter. He lived on land adjoining the present site of Galena on the south and there died n 1849 or about two years prior to the creation of this county."

[Linked Image]

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 04/27/15.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Interesting photos. I had family members on both sides of that war I'm told. I don't really remember. Must have been very young then.

Retired cat herder.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have an original Confederate forage cap that belonged to a great great uncle who was killed in one of the battles of Manassas (Bull Run) that i got from my grandfather who was born in 1876.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I often regretted not asking my Grandfather questions about things he had experience. Like if he had know veterans of the Civil war. What it was like raising a family during the depression. Although he never went to WWI he came close. He had taken his physical one day and they were to swear them in the next day. During the night there was communication that the armistice had been signed and to send all recruits home. But I am sure my Grandfather could have told me interesting stories.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (358WCF, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 338Rules, 29aholic, 12 invisible), 1,472 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,207
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.