Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by southtexas
270 FWT.

That's mine. 30/06 and 375 H&H would have to be very close seconds.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
.264 Win Mag. Big enough for anything in North America, Shoots as flat as anything, and less recoil than a 270, which is my second favorite.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
I think it's un American to not own a pre 64 model 70 chambered in 30-06..... The rifleman's rifle in the all American chambering...

BSA, I like your logic and if you don't mind I'll use it as my rationale for my next pre 64 purchase as I just don't have one in '06.

There's 2 dates they carve on your tombstone.
Everyone knows what they mean.
What's more important is time that is known
as the little dash inbetween.

Razz
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
HANDS DOWN 30-06, Ain't nothing in the world can't be fixed with 700 dollars or a 30-06!!! At the present, Im still stuck on 'Carlos', a 56' Target in a bedded sporter stock, it wears an old 10X thick to fine crosshair AO, 40MM scope, Its lucky, I shoot it well freehanded, I get on target and get the shot off before the weight shakes come on. Im 61 now and will move to a std, then fwt when I cannot hold it still freehanded any more. The trigger is perfect. On the bench the only thing keeping me from stacking one bullet into the other is ME! Were I told all had to go but one I would hunt this one to the bitter end! Here is a freezer buck I nailed this winter after a 40 yard crab crawl to get a shot that I thought was about 200 yards, stepped off it was a 330 yd shot, it was 20 min before sundown, he went out of the scope so fast in recoil I thought I may have missed,Im not prone to miss so a walk down the hill and he had gone down like a sack of cow feed, bang flop, 168 gr Winchester BTs... very best WinPoor
[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
If we move up to favorite 4 these win that bracket, All are in the DO NOT SELL case!
[Linked Image]
top gun is a std,late 59' SS .264 win mag Westerner, next down is 'Carlos' a 56' target in 06 in a sporter stock, third down is a 56' SS Varminter in .243 Win, bottom is my very favorite late 59' Varminter in my all time favorite .220 Swift, all are SS except the 06'. Bottom gun is the rarest as Winchester only produced 904, It has a ding or 3 but its just as it left the factory, I had rather nail a 400 yard peanut seed digging crow than a 250 yard freezer buck! An oil, LP gas man that dove and quail hunted with my Dad each winter pulled one out his Mercury station wagon, when the doves were slow and nailed a crow at 300 plus yards in a pecan tree ,he had an old Unertl 20X ultra Varmint scope on the gun and the first hard gun case I had ever seen, this was in early 60's and for a kid like me that whole rig and shot ruined me for life! I swore I would have one one day and it took 45 years for it to happen! It is by far my all time favorite Varmint rig! very best winpoor.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
After 43 P-64s over 47+ years and shooting scores more, I tend to prefer US chamberings in these great rifles.

Favourites:

1. Always, for western-northern Canadian hunting-bush work, the superb recreation of an older British round, the .338WM in the Alaskan. Ive had five, kept the two matched pairs and one is my all time sentimental and using favourite.

2. THE original *mountain rifle* the outstanding Fwt.-.270Win.

The best combo for BC hunting.

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
7X57MM, wish I had one.

Trump Won!
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Gunner the 7X57 is my all time favorite caliber. If I could only keep one rifle it would be in this chambering, which one to keep would be the tough decision smile

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
It has always been my understanding that the 264 Win. Mag generates more recoil than the 270 Win. with bullets of the same grain weight....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
30 Gov't 06

IC B3

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
My FWT 264 barks louder than the 270FWT. In the 20 inch barrel I think performance is about equal.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I had an '06 with a pitted bore rebored to .35 Whelen, it is my favorite M/70 of all those I've owned. It wears Super Grade stock and fittings though it started life as a standard grade, fitted with a Griffin & Howe mount it has a Leupold Vari-X II 2-7X with duplex reticle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
If we move up to favorite 4 these win that bracket, All are in the DO NOT SELL case!
[Linked Image]
top gun is a std,late 59' SS .264 win mag Westerner, next down is 'Carlos' a 56' target in 06 in a sporter stock, third down is a 56' SS Varminter in .243 Win, bottom is my very favorite late 59' Varminter in my all time favorite .220 Swift, all are SS except the 06'. Bottom gun is the rarest as Winchester only produced 904, It has a ding or 3 but its just as it left the factory, I had rather nail a 400 yard peanut seed digging crow than a 250 yard freezer buck! An oil, LP gas man that dove and quail hunted with my Dad each winter pulled one out his Mercury station wagon, when the doves were slow and nailed a crow at 300 plus yards in a pecan tree ,he had an old Unertl 20X ultra Varmint scope on the gun and the first hard gun case I had ever seen, this was in early 60's and for a kid like me that whole rig and shot ruined me for life! I swore I would have one one day and it took 45 years for it to happen! It is by far my all time favorite Varmint rig! very best winpoor.

I like your favorite 4 buddy. I call mine the boring 4 laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by GSPfan
My FWT 264 barks louder than the 270FWT. In the 20 inch barrel I think performance is about equal.

Mr GSP, I have always wanted to take a .264 fwt, screw the short barrel off and put a 26" varmint weight Bartlein cut rifled on on and see just how accurate a long range 6.5 bean patch hammer I could build with that pre 64 class! v best winpoor

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My fave is the 30-06!! smile

Eric

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
WP that would be quite a project. I couldn't bring myself to dismantle a good FWT however. I have never shot my STD 264WM but threaten to switch out the scopes and get her done but just haven't done it. To many rifles and just not enough time.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I bought my std 264 win mag, the gun had not been shot since Winchester stamped the wp on it. I took my time and had it in the black in 6 shots, All I had ever heard was what a barrel burner they were so I walked every 100 yard shot to not overheat, shot 7 or 8 was a nice freezer buck thru the neck. I will only hunt it on bluebird days and am very particular where and how I carry the gun.Ive settled on 140 gr accubonds(I think but understand the 129,130 gr bullets are the long range bomb, the whitetail I shot was 212 yards, I knew he was dead before I ever pulled the trigger ,I was talking on the cell with a cousin hunting 4 county's over and told him to hold one I had to break a new to me gun in! I find its always a good sign when you nail a buck first trip out with a new to you gun, less then 10 round down the tube when this freezer meat guy went down like a sack of cattle mineral!
[Linked Image]
the very best WinPoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by GSPfan
WP that would be quite a project. I couldn't bring myself to dismantle a good FWT however. I have never shot my STD 264WM but threaten to switch out the scopes and get her done but just haven't done it. To many rifles and just not enough time.

Mr GSP, It is still a mystery to me why Winchester built that gun with the short barrel, even with these modern powders it probably needs a 28" barrel to get a full burn as they are truly OVERBORE, 26" is the min. to me and if its late you still see a foot and a half fire out the biz end! I will find a mismanaged, fwt .264 to build on one day as I like the cal and there are some real long range bullets out there these days along with better powders, I have so many bucket list projects and at 61 I doubt a 1/4 will ever get done! I am pushing my gunsmith now to finish a .257 Roberts Varminter project that Im really stoked about! v best Winpoor

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
[Linked Image]

I like your favorite 4 buddy. I call mine the boring 4 laugh

mr BSA, I have a 300 win mag and a 338 win mag to add to that pile now, I want to talk with you before I shoot my 338, that last thing I want to do is split the stock! it too is ,was a NIB gun out of the Idaho collection the crate bull gun came from. Im thinking of sending it to Echolds or buying his stock and letting Redneck or Mr Gradious here in GA inlet it for me. I will PM some questions to you! thanks in advance WinPoor

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Pre-war Hornet...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

63 members (Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 2500HD, bosshoff, 13 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 730 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,924
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.