Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by winchesterpoor
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
If we move up to favorite 4 these win that bracket, All are in the DO NOT SELL case!
[Linked Image]
top gun is a std,late 59' SS .264 win mag Westerner, next down is 'Carlos' a 56' target in 06 in a sporter stock, third down is a 56' SS Varminter in .243 Win, bottom is my very favorite late 59' Varminter in my all time favorite .220 Swift, all are SS except the 06'. Bottom gun is the rarest as Winchester only produced 904, It has a ding or 3 but its just as it left the factory, I had rather nail a 400 yard peanut seed digging crow than a 250 yard freezer buck! An oil, LP gas man that dove and quail hunted with my Dad each winter pulled one out his Mercury station wagon, when the doves were slow and nailed a crow at 300 plus yards in a pecan tree ,he had an old Unertl 20X ultra Varmint scope on the gun and the first hard gun case I had ever seen, this was in early 60's and for a kid like me that whole rig and shot ruined me for life! I swore I would have one one day and it took 45 years for it to happen! It is by far my all time favorite Varmint rig! very best winpoor.

I like your favorite 4 buddy. I call mine the boring 4 laugh

mr BSA, I have a 300 win mag and a 338 win mag to add to that pile now, I want to talk with you before I shoot my 338, that last thing I want to do is split the stock! it too is ,was a NIB gun out of the Idaho collection the crate bull gun came from. Im thinking of sending it to Echolds or buying his stock and letting Redneck or Mr Gradious here in GA inlet it for me. I will PM some questions to you! thanks in advance WinPoor

BEFORE, you shoot your .300 and .338 have GOOD synthetic stocks installed by expert smiths. You WILL be glad you did, this is based on a LOT of personal experience with P-64 70s.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

1950 30-06 With original Stith Scope...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W

Pre-war Hornet...

[Linked Image][/quote]
Mr Shrapnel, That is the cats meow!I was able to find a mismanaged, left in a zipup gun bag for 15 years 22 hornet ,pre war, undrilled target that Im haveing rust blued to bring back but I want a std hornet or an elusive .218bee that I have heard of 2 but never had one in my hands in the worse way! Either will kinda finish my never ending mod 70 quest! the very best WinPoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 05/02/15. Reason: computer is doing stupid things this morning
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by SNAP
If we move up to favorite 4 these win that bracket, All are in the DO NOT SELL case!
[Linked Image]
top gun is a std,late 59' SS .264 win mag Westerner, next down is 'Carlos' a 56' target in 06 in a sporter stock, third down is a 56' SS Varminter in .243 Win, bottom is my very favorite late 59' Varminter in my all time favorite .220 Swift, all are SS except the 06'. Bottom gun is the rarest as Winchester only produced 904, It has a ding or 3 but its just as it left the factory, I had rather nail a 400 yard peanut seed digging crow than a 250 yard freezer buck! An oil, LP gas man that dove and quail hunted with my Dad each winter pulled one out his Mercury station wagon, when the doves were slow and nailed a crow at 300 plus yards in a pecan tree ,he had an old Unertl 20X ultra Varmint scope on the gun and the first hard gun case I had ever seen, this was in early 60's and for a kid like me that whole rig and shot ruined me for life! I swore I would have one one day and it took 45 years for it to happen! It is by far my all time favorite Varmint rig! very best winpoor.

I like your favorite 4 buddy. I call mine the boring 4 laugh

mr BSA, I have a 300 win mag and a 338 win mag to add to that pile now, I want to talk with you before I shoot my 338, that last thing I want to do is split the stock! it too is ,was a NIB gun out of the Idaho collection the crate bull gun came from. Im thinking of sending it to Echolds or buying his stock and letting Redneck or Mr Gradious here in GA inlet it for me. I will PM some questions to you! thanks in advance WinPoor

BEFORE, you shoot your .300 and .338 have GOOD synthetic stocks installed by expert smiths. You WILL be glad you did, this is based on a LOT of personal experience with P-64 70s.

Mr SNAP, I zeroed and have shot the 300 win mag and it was very accurate, the only ammo I had at the time was Fed 190Gr SMK match fodder, no problems, I did say I was going to have a nice bed job done, I have yet to fire the 338 win mag, I did score several boxes of Win Fail Safe 230 gr ammo.I plan on hunting it out west and will have it put in a good syn stock. thanks the most WinPoor

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Shrapnel loos like you have some Prairie Dog country there. I'm hoping to get to Wyoming this summer and shoot some. I have never been to Montana but hope to someday.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Shrapnel loos like you have some Prairie Dog country there. I'm hoping to get to Wyoming this summer and shoot some. I have never been to Montana but hope to someday.

It is prime. This is where we have the PD Invitational every June...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by moose444
30GOVT06. Kind of hard to find green steel boxes full of M2 ball anymore. But not at my house.

Hoarder! smile

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Shooting PD's is the most fun a man can have with his pants on:) I have two new to me Pre 64 varmints, a 243 & 220 Swift that need to see some action

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
270 Win wink

[Linked Image]

Larry
"Speed is fine but accuracy is final" - Bill Jordan
"We do not exaggerate when we state positively that the remodelled Springfield is the best and most suitable "all 'round" rifle".......Seymour Griffin, GRIFFIN & HOWE, Inc. wink
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I will never be without a .270, so it stands to reason it is my favorite Pre '64 chambering.

I think the reputation of the M70 was made by Standard Rifles in .30-06 and .270. Also to some extent the same two chamberings in the FWTs. The availability of the .375 in an affordable rifle sure didn't hurt the reputation any!

If I was going to have even more guns than I need, my next would be either a .270 FWT. or a .300 H&H. If a great deal on a .375 came my way, I probably couldn't resist it.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good post gundoc...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My favorite Pre64 M70 caliber:

I have 270WCF and 30GOVT06 but have longed for a 300HH!

Ray
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by GSPfan
Gunner the 7X57 is my all time favorite caliber. If I could only keep one rifle it would be in this chambering, which one to keep would be the tough decision smile

Very tough indeed, thankfully we are NOT there yet. grin

I know the day will come for me to slap some serious leather for the right 7X57 in a pre-64 Super Grade, I wont even scope it, I'll find the proper [no stock notch] Lyman receiver peep and hunt that rifle with 175 gr Hornady round nosed interlock bullets at a mild yet effective 2450 fps.

Trump Won!
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
The one gun I regret selling more than any other was a SG in 7X57. At the time it was to nice to use and I wanted a high condition Parker 20ga DHE with all the bells and whistles. I sold the SG and a NIB 358 FWT to help fund the Parker. I still have the Parker.

This has been the year of acquisition for me with the Pre 64 M70 for me so in all honesty my favorite will be the one in my hands at the time.:)

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
sick, I like fine shotguns and sorta understand the draw, but to me a shotgun could never be as special as a rare Super-Grade, I plainly love hunting rifles, I should try to use that same logic on the many double rifles I've purchased. crazy grin

Trump Won!
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I too am laughing at this question, pre 64 model 70's is like having 6 children and someone asking which child you love the most! It just does not work that way. I can tell you the one I worked the hardest for and after 3 shots made me smile from ear to ear! Which one was the hardest to acquire
and you have the most fun shooting
I have 2 project guns I cannot wait to shoot! A pre war 22 hornet target that is undrilled and the bore is fantastic, and a 257 BOB, target that Im turning into a Varminter just like pp264 in the Mr Rule book sans all the fancy engraving. Im thinking both are going to get a world of bench time ! The hornet is what Im going to teach my 12 yr old nephew how to kill house flies at 100 yards with! Both guns were mismanaged, left in zip up gun cases and had to be rescued, no pitting on the hornet so it gets a rust blue redo and wood redo with no expense spared. The BOB target had some pitting under the wood so it gets the first ever for me ,pre 64 ceracoat midnight blue! I will use it in my 200 yard stand to ear and neck shoot freezer meat and varmints. Its going in a pillar block bedded uncut fwt stock done in the old Winchester red and hand rubbed to perfection! Im like a kid waiting on Christmas morning! PHOTOS when they are done. very best WinPoor

Last edited by winchesterpoor; 05/03/15.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Don't know what you have in mind for that 257R WP, did notice Midway has the excellent little 87 gr Speer hot-core bullets in stock, I've heard good things about that bullet in the Roberts and 250 Savage.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I thought the thread title was "your favorite pre 64 caliber"???? Winpoor, that BOB target sounds like it's going to be awesome!! Where did you get the idea of cerakoting it midnight blue laugh.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I thought the thread title was "your favorite pre 64 caliber"???? Winpoor, that BOB target sounds like it's going to be awesome!! Where did you get the idea of cerakoting it midnight blue laugh.

Old pal, you have never offered bad advise, there was some pitting under the wood that just would not buff out! I will never understand how the bores stayed so nice, Im having both biz ends single pointed to just find 'new metal'. After talking to Mr Rule I knew my dream of pp 264 would have to be built by me sans all the fancy metal work. With the + P ammo and the way the 110 gr accubonds have performed in both 25-06 and 25wssm I love the .25 cals, I sold my beloved 25wssm Coyote lite week to help fund this Varminter! I cannot wait, my gunsmith and the sweet lady that does the woodwork and ceracoat know I want masterpieces out of these 2 guns....very best WinchesterBROKE

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Gunner my addiction to both Parkers and Pre 64 M70's go hand in hand. I shoot a shotgun much more than I do a rifle. This transaction was almost 15 years ago and as I wasn't going to use the rifle it just seemed like a way to drum up some cash. Hindsight is always crystal clear. I do have a couple of M70's in 7MM so all is not lost.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (17CalFan, 219 Wasp, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 204guy, 1moredeer, 50 invisible), 2,502 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,238
Posts18,485,844
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.