Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
Thats about the time that I began to notice the drop in chuck numbers,when I began to run into coyotes when hunting.Ive seen several coyotes lying near woodchuck holes waiting for them.Of course the hunter then became the hunted!

GB1

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Six dogs have been killed in the Duluth area recently by timber wolves.
I wonder if they attack people?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
It's all at Whittaker Guns in Kentucky.

Eileen and I had a great time at the big Saturday sale, meeting several Campfire members and buying too much stuff ourselves. I didn't really need any .22 rimfire, but they had bricks of Remington hollow-points for a very reasonable price, so I bought one in order to meet my responsibilities as a gun writer, since I keep hearing reports about how Remingtons do or don't shoot, and had to confirm them for myself.

Also picked up a Model 64 Winchester and some powder, as apparently Whittaker's also has the secret to obtaining powders--though even they don't have them all. Bought an 8-pounder of H110, among others.

Sounds great John. I don't really care for the new Remington 22lr ammo, but if you run across some old 22 yellow jackets let me know... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve, Have you ever seen a knowledgeable scientific report explaining the demise of the southern Ontario woodchuck population? There seems to be lots of theories thrown around but I have never seen the Ministry or anyone else provide sound reasons for the decline.

Jim

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Global warming silly! Global warming is the cause of everything.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Where've you been? It's Climate Change now.

That way, they can get you coming and going.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was deliberate, ya know.

Now, what about that danged RIMFIRE. I want some!

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's out there, just maybe not exactly what you want and surely not for what you want to pay.

I never was one for spraying a bunch of .22s downrange; probably have repressed memories of little cardboard boxes with one or two rounds rattling around inside. As a result, I never was one to buy a bunch of cheap bulk ammo. During Panic One, I did buy a few boxes of WW Expert and (Ugh!) Federal, because I worked nights and passed right by Walmart on my way home. I still have most of that, although I've shot some in my handguns and given some away. Mostly, I shoot good to semi-premium stuff and only a couple hundred per range visit. For hunting, I use RWS SS HPs, but have enough for the forseeable future. Since I'm still trying to determine what shoots best in my new rifle, I'm not likely to make any huge purchases any time soon.

If you know what you want, go to an online supplier and place a backorder or in-stock notification request. It absolutely has worked for me for the stuff I use. Just keep an eye on your email and you'll score.

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/01/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by 1OntarioJim
Steve, Have you ever seen a knowledgeable scientific report explaining the demise of the southern Ontario woodchuck population? There seems to be lots of theories thrown around but I have never seen the Ministry or anyone else provide sound reasons for the decline.

Jim

As far as I'm aware, no studies have ever been done. You and I know there's no money in the budget for studies. Same as the ministry denying the existance of cougars in Onterrible. The cancellation of the spring bear hunt, etc.

No money for any definitive examinations of things like this.

Money collected by the MNR is supposed to stay within the ministry. I do not believe this is so.

Perhaps someone else can shed some light on this...but I doubt it.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve - Further to your comment about cougars. My optician has a riding horse which he stables about 20-25 miles from where I live. He told me about his horse being mauled by a cougar as stated by his vet after examining the wounds on the horse.

Then a short time later his brother-in-law saw one in the loft of his barn. They are here, no question about it!

Jim

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Brakeclean n Amsoil and CLP work for me

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Autofive
Pappy,coyotes are a big part of it,in my opinion,but,though nobody ever proved as much,I think that some sort of illness may have had something to do with the woodchucks falling numbers.They are making a slow recovery but now there is so much posted land that hunting them is tough.As a youngster I put thousands of rounds of rimfire through my model 81DL Marlin as I hunted them almost daily during the summer.
Woodchucks are scarce in Delaware, Chenango and Otsego counties where I shot hundreds of them in the 70's. There are still good numbers of them further north in Cortland and Madison Counties yet there alot of coyotes there too.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
It is rather odd that the government denied the existence of cougars for years and years. I don't know if they were concerned with tourism or they genuinely did not believe all the people that were reporting them. It sure makes you wonder who's steering the ship.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In this area they generally DAK of cougars. My son and his mom both them while driving, and my cousin has twice seen one near La Plata, Maryland while bowhunting. The first time, it came near his stand and acted very agressively. La Plata is in Southern Maryland, nor far from D.C.

They are seen occasionally on Skyline Drive, but again the authorities always deny it and say it was a bobcat or something. How many bobcats have long, ropey tails?

Last edited by Pappy348; 05/02/15.

What fresh Hell is this?
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep, they see them in Pa also. Funny thing is no one ever gets a pic. No one ever can take a GC officer and show them prints. No one ever sees cubs, always adults. 800,000 deer hunters out the first day and no one shoots one or again gets a pic.

Yet some see them on a regular basis while taking a hike.

laissez les bons temps rouler
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
MD, Glad you found some ammo, but I wanna hear about the 64!

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
It's in very good condition, the only "flaw" a Pachmayr ventilated pad that was added at some point, though quite professionally. I suspect, however, that the stock wasn't cut when adding the pad, but won't know for sure until the rifle shows up here, as I had it shipped from Kentucky.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Changing farming practices, and actually the cessation of farming in many areas, is the leading cause of woodchuck decline IMO. They could easily outproduce their predators given good habitat.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Farmer down the road used to ask us to shoot Groundhogs and carried a rifle along when on his tractor. Years ago it wouldn't be uncommon for him to shoot around 100 in a year. Nothing has changed on his place that he can put his finger on other than Coyotes.

Asked to shoot them last year and he said go ahead, but there just are not that many.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Picked these up today at Cabelas on a Sunday afternoon in a crowded store:

[Linked Image]

Things must be getting better if they were still on the shelf on a Sunday afternoon.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 219DW, 60 invisible), 2,505 guests, and 1,330 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,203
Posts18,485,254
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.