Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
We loaded the kids up a few weeks ago to take a road trip through the Hill Country. Actually, that’s not entirely true. We loaded the kids up to drive 300 miles to take one picture, the road trip was just the lagniappe.

First, the road trip. I'm not one to travel more than a few hours from home without looking for a good place to eat. So we left home and headed to Alamo Springs Grill, who Texas Monthly says has the second best hamburger in the state. I don't know about second best, but it was certainly worth stopping for. We got there at 2PM and left at 3PM and they were PACKED the whole time. Not bad for a place that's an hour from anywhere.

It'd make a great motorcycle trip to Alamo Springs if anyone is into that sort of thing and they're only about a half hour from Luckenbach.

After lunch we headed down Old Fred Road (or Old #9 road, depending on which map you look at). Right after Old Fred Road turns into Highway 473, you can turn left onto River Bend Road and check out one of the coolest old train bridges I’ve ever seen. Of course, like nearly every other cool thing in this ridiculous state, the bridge is behind a fence with “No Trespassing” signs hung all over the place but it’s possible to get a few decent pictures if you’re creative with where you climb and your interpretation of Texas trespassing laws.

[Linked Image]

Taking Hwy. 480 out of Center Point there are quite a few places to get off the road and let the kids play in some shallow creeks to cool off. The water was crystal clear and not too cold and if you keep your eyes open you can find places off the highway with low water crossings and room to park.

[Linked Image]

It's also a good place to realize how youngman-ish your boy is starting to look....

[Linked Image]

In Vanderpool we managed to find the gravestone of my Great-Great-Great Grandfather, Captain Samuel Fleming, who fought with the 17th Texas Infantry in the Civil War. Vanderpool doesn’t have much except for the cemetery, but there’s a big community pavilion across the road that would make a great picnic spot.
[Linked Image]

Leaving Vanderpool...
[Linked Image]

The south fork of the Guadalupe River criss-crosses the highway all the way from Vanderpool to Kerrville (the route we took home). Again, there are some really great spots to pull over and let the kids play in the river. If you can’t find a good spot to park or the water looks a little stagnant just keep driving because you’re sure to find a good spot just down the road.

But in the middle of all this we stopped in the abandoned town of Tuff, Texas. And that stop was the reason for the whole trip.

Tuff, Texas was never a large town but after shrinking to around 10 residents in the early 1900s it was completely abandoned. The old post office is the only thing left standing and it’s been out of service since 1926.

For as long as I can remember I've wanted to visit Tuff, Texas to take a picture. Just one, to duplicate this picture of my grandfather.
[Linked Image]

I don't know how long ago that picture was taken, but I know the flagpole has been there for at least 25 years, and wasn't in the picture with my grandfather. So the picture of him was likely taken not long after I was born.

Not everything at Tuff is just the way it was in the old picture. The tractor thing is gone, the fence is moved and there’s a flag pole now. The flag pole forced me to do some finagling with the angle of the picture because I didn’t want to have the pole cut off without the flag showing, but in the end the picture turned out just right. I’ve wanted to take this picture for as long as I can remember and it was a great feeling to get it done. My wife was looking at the old picture on my phone to get everything lined up and she teared up a little when she took the new one.

And this is the picture we drove twelve hours to take.

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z118/Bluedreaux/DSC_0126_zpsmmlvly2u.jpg[/img]

Here's the whole fam-damily. We took a few of just the boys too. If the old post office is still standing, maybe they'll be motivated to come back and retake it with their families too.

[img]http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z118/Bluedreaux/DSC_0145_zps93x6pzrg.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling

A
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A
Terrific pic's and story.
Thank you.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Tejas has hills??

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Well done Eric!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's awesome. I have family in Kerrville and I'm always struck by the beauty of the area. It always leaves me asking, 'That's Texas? Really?"

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Great story and picture Sir. Fine family you have there.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Great story and pics!

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ditto Doc!

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some of my all-time favorite country! Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
great pics and cool story.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great pictures and lovely family.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Great story & pics. Thanks for posting.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Blue,

You struck quite a chord with that picture. We lived in San Antonio for about 6 years and I've been in and around that country.

I certainly understand the feeling of family and of completeness for having taken the picture.

Thanks for sharing!

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Great post Eric, and some really good pictures. I have always felt it important to 'hook the kids up' with their past. Great job, and a fine looking family. smile

Sam......

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Good looking family there, Eric! Glad to see you posting. This place can take a lot of your time and that's not always a good thing.

Take care, stay safe, and keep in touch!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
We do Alamo Springs Cafe at least twice annually. We stay in Comfort so we can eat there once on the first day & again on the way home the next day.

Have spent lots of time under that bridge.

This article talks about the railroad from Comfort to Fredericksburg which is almost underneath Alamo Springs Cafe & the bat population that was the impetus for the Cafe's existence. That bridge you photographed was all part of it, twice.

Within the article: "...In the early 1920s a problem other than water struck the timber trestles. The big trestle over Black Creek just south of the tunnel caught fire and much of the center section burned. It was eventually replaced by the stone pier trestle that still stands today, one of the two remaining relics of the F&N. Only two real relics remain of the old F&N the Black Creek trestle and the tunnel. They are the last remnants of a dead era. A time when the presence of a railroad brought life to a town and the lack of one killed it."

http://www.texasescapes.com/CFEckha...-Railroad-Little-Engine-That-Couldnt.htm

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good stuff.

I miss the history in the south.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You have a great family, Blue!

Glad you were out enjoying them!

Thank Mama for the cookies, BTW... They were Great! smile

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

Support your local brewer.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Very cool.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (1minute, 219 Wasp, 007FJ, 2500HD, 222Sako, 71 invisible), 2,250 guests, and 1,217 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,121
Posts18,502,378
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.