Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Never did drink a lot of CooperCoolAid but I must be really nutz as I have at least a dozen carbines with forward mounted scopes.

Most of the .308 bolt guns have had their fixed low power scopes replaced with the Burris 2-7 with BallisticPlex reticle that makes hitting out to 600 yards fairly easy...

I have both IER and standard scopes and hunt and shoot with both...have never had a problem using either.

Savage 7.62x39...400 yards...

[Linked Image]

Ruger 18" stainless GSR

[Linked Image]

Remington 700 Youth/Synthetic w/Leupold M8-2X

[Linked Image]

Remington 600s .350 and .308

[Linked Image]

Ruger Frontiers in .358 and .308

[Linked Image]

Marlin 1894S .41 Magnum...

[Linked Image]

Have shot and would would be proud to own one of the Styer Scouts but just have never found the right deal on one...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
HR IC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm having a scout mount installed on my browning 71, I haven't shot it yet but fail to see how it could be a disadvantage compared to the peep it had on it.

Mm

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I looked at this rifle closely at the NRA show a few weeks ago. I was pleasantly surprised to see that the receiver has picatinny/Weaver slots in the conventional places on the receiver for a "normal" scope mounting option. If you like the feel and features of the rifle (which i did) I would mount a traditional scope in some QD rings at this location and go forth and shoot stuff! With the QD rings you could pop the scope off and use the flip-up iron sights in a pinch.

If someone has a Scout that offends them greatly contact me and I will take it off your hands...

Originally Posted by Savage_99
Steyr Scout $2099

[Linked Image]

223 Rem.
.243 Rem.
7 mm-08 Rem.
.308 Win.
Barrel Length 485 mm (19'')

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by RJM
Never did drink a lot of CooperCoolAid but I must be really nutz as I have at least a dozen carbines with forward mounted scopes.

Most of the .308 bolt guns have had their fixed low power scopes replaced with the Burris 2-7 with BallisticPlex reticle that makes hitting out to 600 yards fairly easy...

I have both IER and standard scopes and hunt and shoot with both...have never had a problem using either.

Savage 7.62x39...400 yards...

[Linked Image]

Ruger 18" stainless GSR

[Linked Image]

Remington 700 Youth/Synthetic w/Leupold M8-2X

[Linked Image]

Remington 600s .350 and .308

[Linked Image]

Ruger Frontiers in .358 and .308

[Linked Image]

Marlin 1894S .41 Magnum...

[Linked Image]

Have shot and would would be proud to own one of the Styer Scouts but just have never found the right deal on one...

Bob

I'm a little amused about you never finding the right "deal" on a Steyr Scout. If you sold all of the rifles pictured, you would likely have enough money for two Steyrs in two different calibers. :-)

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by KyWindageII

I'm a little amused about you never finding the right "deal" on a Steyr Scout. If you sold all of the rifles pictured, you would likely have enough money for two Steyrs in two different calibers. :-)

It isn't that I can't afford one...I just like it when I sell something that it cost me nothing to shoot while I had it. I have several friends who have lost more money on one deal than I have in all my gun deals in the last 30 years....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Steyr Scout is not strictly a hunting rifle, but it can be used as such. I'd call it more of a survivalist rifle for when one is alone in the wilderness. It can be hunted or used for self defense against predators.

I use mine for hunting only and have reconfigured it with a S&B 1.5x6-42 scope in the Normal mounting place. In .308, it's my pig rifle. I still have the EER scope in reserve if the SHTF. whistle

BTW it's a very accurate rifle with an excellent trigger.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 05/07/15.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill Poole

Cooper wanted the scout, which had to meet a weight and length limit, have backup irons, and enough KE for an elk, to be the "general purpose" rifle, the problem is, it was so "general purpose" it became too specialized.

There! My thoughts exactly.

Mind you, The most I would probably use this rifle on is a whitetail, but I've handled the Ruger and you cannot help but see these things mentioned. Jeff Cooper hit a home-run as far as making it a conversation topic.

What impresses me about the rifle is that, although it is a nice light rifle, it is trying to address issues I do not have, nor will I have.

A detachable mag? In 15 years, I have not needed more than 3 shots on a deer.
Lightweight? Yes, but where I hunt, despite the hills, I sometimes opt for a M1 Garand. Weight is not an issue
The scope position? I cannot think of a time where a huge eye relief is going to be a plus. I can think of a bunch of times where it would really screw things up.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Scout rifles = marketing ploy. Also known as: Make an unneeded product and then find someone to buy it. Happens all the time, especially with firearms, especially with cartridges that don't do anything older cartridges do just as well, but do stimulate certain nervous systems to uncontrolled coveting of advertising hype and that drooling on the keyboard of gun writers eager for another paycheck. A ding-dong and his/her money are soon parted. Really, is there any real need for a .260 Remington and 6.5 Creedmoor? How about a new Stupidly Short Deer Scrambler Magnum? Probably Norma will crank out the brass for Noseler's new Bogus Plastic Plus Deluxe Rifle to fire the thing. But then I'm a big sucker for new gadgets. Things such as primer seaters that are CNC controlled to place the primer within a Planck length. Or case trimmers that use laser guidance and three phase power to reduce .223 Remington cartridge cases to 1.750" dead on. Better still are new smokeless powders that are immortal in storage, completely temperature insensitive, eliminate copper fouling, leave a rust preventative in the bore, flow through a powder measure "like water", cost $3.00 a pound and are always in stock everywhere. What's not to like?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
RJM. Nice collection.

Would you mind to give me few pointers on the mounts?

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
To the OP....WOW! My first thought when scrolling through your pics was " Did this guy ever drink the Jeff Cooper Kool-aid!"

Then I scrolled to the top and your opening sentence dispelled that idea. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 007FJ, 160user, 65 invisible), 2,768 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,200
Posts18,503,641
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.