Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That is a tailgate full of slabs right there!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Tailgate of gourmet.

Stick - what model red handle knife. Long blade filet?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For rainbows? I'm thinking 8 weight. whistle

[Linked Image]

Call me crazy. smile

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'11,

Give Kim a shout and thank me later.

I opted the latex booties,as I like to match traction to the application. Mainly because they can be replaced easily and that were his suggestion,after I described my uses.

Feelin' your pain,as I don't like to deal with more than 1000lbs or so of victims in a day,myself.(grin) Mainly...because I have. Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It's rough.....................

'BR,

You cite the ubiquitous Victorinox Parer,which is a Milford Mainstay.

I buy 'em by the dozen.

[Linked Image]

Though what's really Skookum,is their Super Sly Folder.

[Linked Image]

But I'm not much into blades.

[Linked Image]

That much................(grin)

Crazy,

Happiness is a 10'6" tied in a knot.

[Linked Image]

Or an 11-footer.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/MarchSister3.jpg[/img]

All with the best Poker Face in da' bidness,despite the fair sized Trout in proximity.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/MarchSister10.jpg[/img]

Though Sister's favorite remains the 11'4" Loomis STFR 1363.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/SeptRRSisterCohoA.jpg[/img]

Even in rather modest water.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Fish%20Stuff/MayRRStartSisterE.jpg[/img]

I just stay outta the way and watch The Show.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by RickBin
For rainbows? I'm thinking 8 weight. whistle

[Linked Image]

Call me crazy. smile

Thats not a spinning rod, so you are disqualified. That can't be a rainbow either...looks a little like one, only bigger.....

Im gonna do a little more fly fishing this year too....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes it's a fly rod. Had to go 8 wt because that is Patagonia, and it is windier than all get out there.

And yes, it's a rainbow trout, and not a steelhead. 14 pounds. smile

Been trying to buy a new spinning rod but the fly rods keep getting in the way.

"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value. Heaven knows how to put a proper price upon its goods; and it would be strange indeed if so celestial an article as freedom should not be highly rated." Thomas Paine
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hear you...just bought a new 6 wt outfit for our more 'moderate' Montana trout...

Use a 6 ft. 3 wt on the creeks here, which turns a 14 inched into a rodeo.

Then once a year I break out the "big" rod...a 7.5 footer and catch a few Northerns on it. grin

Im gonna have to make a pile of my trout in order to hit 14 pounds.... wink

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I can't claim any credit for this one, and the cell phone picture is pretty terrible, but its worth sharing. My buddy Calvin caught this brown on the White River when we took a trip there earlier this year.

[Linked Image]

It weighed 38 lbs 7 oz. and beat the river record by nearly 5 lbs. It was quite the experience. As you can tell, we were pretty excited for him!

To tie the story back to the thread, I'm not sure what brand of pole he was using other than that it was a 6'9" spinning rod.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RJ

That is a hog - cell phone or not! And with big fish you don't need to hold them out toward the camera - because you can't! Just hope that fatboy wasn't caught on an ultralite rod!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Not trout...but this one was caught on a 5.5 ft. UL rod and a Shimano 750 reel...

[Linked Image]

And so was this one...

[Linked Image]

And this one....

[Linked Image]

And this one was caught on a 4'9" UL with a Shimano 500 on board...

[Linked Image]

I have more if you want them..... grin

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
That had to be a blast. Never caught a pike, much less on tackle that light. Wow!

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I miss using the fly rods. It gets real entertaining for the peanut gallery with the typical prairie breeze. laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Aren't those a blast? Caught a 42 incher on a Bass Pro ( eek ) 5' 6" light with 6# line on a Symetre. Took a good while to get it in but immensely entertaining all the way.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We use #10 Fireline......and frankly we can boat and release one as quickly with UL tackle as with anything else, and you don't end up tired after flinging a 7 foot rod all day.

Years ago I got an 18 pounder on UL tackle with #6 monofilament. You're right...it took awhile! grin

Last edited by ingwe; 05/12/15.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A couple more for you...these were taken on a 4' Quantum Microlight with a 500 Shimano and Fireline..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ryanjay11
I can't claim any credit for this one, and the cell phone picture is pretty terrible, but its worth sharing. My buddy Calvin caught this brown on the White River when we took a trip there earlier this year.

[Linked Image]

It weighed 38 lbs 7 oz. and beat the river record by nearly 5 lbs. It was quite the experience. As you can tell, we were pretty excited for him!

To tie the story back to the thread, I'm not sure what brand of pole he was using other than that it was a 6'9" spinning rod.

I've fished out of Gastons down there a time or two before. how far down from the Dam where you guys? that is a monster of a fish!

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A St. Croix 6'6" m/l fast will get you what you want 99% of the time for most inland browns and rainbows that have never seen an ocean. If I were to ever upgrade G.Loomis would get the nod, but until that day I don't feel slighted by my St. Croix rods...and yes I have fished with G.Loomis rods just haven't forked over the cash for any...yet. One thing I can agree with Big Stick 100% though is the Shimano Stradic reels are very good. My only complaint is I don't have enough of them.

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have a soft spot for St. Croix. Way back in the early 60's my grandparents lived about 15 miles from the factory and Dad had them make up a rod for little kid me. It's a butt and tip section made up from a couple of very short UL designs they were experimenting with for fishing brushy trout streams in northern WI. Still have it and use it with the old Mitchell 308, pretty nice for a glass rod. A lot less expensive in those days.

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good collection Stick.
Ingwe - you think as I do - good line can do wonders with UL - and oh how fun

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep, the new non-stretching lines make it possible to set a 2/0 hook on UL, and Ive found the #10 Fireline ideal...if you really put the screws to it, your little rod will break before the line does...keeping that in mind makes everything go smooth... whistle

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1936M71, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 67 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,473
Posts18,489,910
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.