Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No. The 44 Magnum in a revolver as heavy as a scoped Ruger Bisley won't be enough to require a muzzle brake.

GB1

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
No. The 44 Magnum in a revolver as heavy as a scoped Ruger Bisley won't be enough to require a muzzle brake.

I just looked at a price or 2 on gunbroker. Looks like the bisley is about 700$?

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
They're not inexpensive, but the Ruger Hunters do come with integral scope mounts and rings. Putting a comparable mounting system on any other revolver would add at least $150 to the cost of the gun alone.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt in florida frequently with a revolver,and of course my experience may not match other peoples, Ive used several calibers and revolvers I personally like the S&W 29 44 mag with either a 8 3/8 or 10 5/8" barrel the load a 310 grain lee over 21 grains of H110.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
hunting with a hand gun always involves your being forced to make some compromises, a revolver with iron sites will be limited by both your eye sight and the distance between the front & rear sights. this ability to hit exactly where you want with open sights limits the effective range.
a revolver is generally going to use strait case cartridges starting with a 357 mag and dependent on the shooter preferences anywhere up to a 500 S&W , the 41-44 mags and 45 colt and 454 cassul are all very able to kill deer at 120-140 yards or so rather easily with the correct loads, most people I know have found the larger revolvers like the 445 DWSM and the 460 and 500 S&W a bit larger and heavier than ideal, but there are guys who enjoy those but it takes extensive practice and ammos much more expensive.
[Linked Image]
now if your willing to use optical sights like a scope or red dot optical sites your going to extend that range limitation but make the easy handling of a revolver noticeably less handy.
yes theres zero question that theres a few single shot break action and bolt action hand guns that will mount a scope and are more accurate , but most are at least in my opinion less handy, but also very effective IF your willing to put up with the size and weight penalty.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Ive always felt if your willing to put up with that size and weight you might as well buy and use a light carbine
[Linked Image]

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Nice guns man. I'm not sure what route to go but I'm looking to just change it up so something lil different like with a pistol. I'm not sure what to get but a revolver seems more legit for ammo purposes and not halfing to hand load

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you want to hunt with a sawed off rifle, go for the contender (no offense to single shot pistol fans). Shooting a CF rifle cartridge out of a 14" barreled stockless rifle isn't quite the same as using a 4" or 6.5" revolver to hunt with. I just don't see the point, but I have not been bitten by the single shot 'handgun' bug.

If you want to hunt with something that resembles an actual handgun, get the 629. And a case of ammo. And shoot at least half of that case at various ranges using field positions to gauge your maximum effective range. Then go kill a deer.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The 10" TC Contender's aren't too ungainly for a hunting pistol--and are considerably more svelte than a S&W X-frame, for instance--but I agree with you that the 14" guns, and particularly the so called "specialty pistols" that are equipped with rifle scopes and shot from tripods or other rests, are pretty far from my conception of "handgun hunting."

Last edited by Oregon45; 05/08/15.
B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Yea after the last post or 2 I see what y'all are saying. I'm going for a revolver. Would you laugh if I just shot a doe lol

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter available in 44 Mag and 45 Colt. Available in Plow handle and Bisley, comes with a rib for a scope, or can be used with out one.

^^^This^^^

Hard to beat IMO.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
There is the new Glock 40 10mm to consider, with a red dot it could easily be a 100 yard deer gun.

I went through just what you are a few years ago. I very nearly bought a Blackhawk Hunter .44mag but got a 6" S&W 686 .357mag at the last minute and am glad I did. Topped with a 2X Leupold it is a hoot to shoot. My best shot to date with it was a jackrabbit shot in the head at 98 yards. .357mag is plenty for deer with a good heavy bullet. I've pretty much settled on 180gr hard cast.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They still haven't released the Glock 40 in 10mm yet. I've been waiting for the release for quite a while now. Of course, I'm sure Glock is busy cranking out the new Model 43 24-7, as they are selling like hotcakes!

That being said, I've killed a truck load of feral pigs with my Glock 20. A 200 grain Hornady XTP HP at 1350 fps is a hog killing SOB!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by justin10mm
There is the new Glock 40 10mm to consider, with a red dot it could easily be a 100 yard deer gun.

I went through just what you are a few years ago. I very nearly bought a Blackhawk Hunter .44mag but got a 6" S&W 686 .357mag at the last minute and am glad I did. Topped with a 2X Leupold it is a hoot to shoot. My best shot to date with it was a jackrabbit shot in the head at 98 yards. .357mag is plenty for deer with a good heavy bullet. I've pretty much settled on 180gr hard cast.

I really like the 686's too. Wasn't sure if I would
Be for for a deer huntin pistol tho. I'm just going to half to look and decide I guess. Smith 629's and 686 has always caught my eye. That ruger looks good tho too

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Anybody need a good turkey gun lol

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
just a point of info!
about 20 years back I purchased a DAN WESSON 445 SUPER MAG,with a 10" barrel and added a muzzle brake its very VERY accurate!
it will push a 310 grain lee cast bullet to 1400 fps PLUS easily ,and theres zero doubt its extremely effective, but its heavy and brass expensive,
https://www.starlinebrass.com/brass-cases/445-Super-Mag-Brass/
[Linked Image]

44mag vs 445 mag
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
http://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=29&products_id=93
it kills very well but don,t think the increase in power over the 44 mag makes it vastly superior , its a bit like the difference between a 308 vs a 30/06, and its noticeably larger and heavier than a S&W 29
In my elk hunt club theres now 4 guys who have taken ELK with a hand gun, three use a 44 mag, two of them used my 310 grain hard cast bullets loaded over 21 grains of H110 so a 44 mag is fully up to the job

http://dfuse.us/COhandgunhunting.html

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guy doesn't own a single handgun, wants to shoot a deer with one, and we are steering him into Contenders, 10.5" barrel revolvers, and DW 445 Super Mags. Gotta live the 'fire!

Buy a good *general purpose* magnum revolver that is built to do more than just one thing well. A 4", 5", or 6.5" .44 magnum works fine. Get a good holster and learn to shoot well with iron sights. Then you have a gun that will do many things well. If you get into it there is plenty of room for full on loonyisim, just like there is with rifles. Start with the basics and see if it is for you. A 4" 629 is never a bad choice. Although it is a tad bit harder to hit with than a longer barrel, it carries so much easier that you may find it ultimately more useful. I have both 4" and 6.5" and use the 4" more.

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by K1500
Guy doesn't own a single handgun, wants to shoot a deer with one, and we are steering him into Contenders, 10.5" barrel revolvers, and DW 445 Super Mags. Gotta live the 'fire!

Buy a good *general purpose* magnum revolver that is built to do more than just one thing well. A 4", 5", or 6.5" .44 magnum works fine. Get a good holster and learn to shoot well with iron sights. Then you have a gun that will do many things well. If you get into it there is plenty of room for full on loonyisim, just like there is with rifles. Start with the basics and see if it is for you. A 4" 629 is never a bad choice. Although it is a tad bit harder to hit with than a longer barrel, it carries so much easier that you may find it ultimately more useful. I have both 4" and 6.5" and use the 4" more.

Let me just make this clear. I do have pistols just none to kill a deer. All 3 are 9's

I'm liking the idea Of a 44 mag. Always had the eye for a nice smith but the ruger bisley looks good to. Ao at this point I believe they are all good choices just the matter of what way I wanna go.

B
Bling Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by K1500

How far will you shoot with the 4 and 6.5" barrels?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is what I have for hunting, though I've not used it for that yet.

I've gotten to the point I can regularly ring an 8" gong at 100 yards, so I MIGHT give it a try.

[Linked Image]

This is what I carry knockin' about, and I'm sure a thirty to forty yard shot might be doable.

[Linked Image]

Maybe by this year's season I'll be more confident in my ability, which is what I doubt right now. Both pistols are accurate enough.

I'm using the same load in each one, 300 grain Beartooth LCMN GC at 1.725" OAL, 22.5 grains 300-MP.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I would have zero reservations about shooting at a deer out to 100yds with my 5.5" Ruger. I don't shoot full power ammo most of the time either, 245 SWC at 1175fps. With practice and a rest I've shot 4" groups for 6 shots at the 100 yard line. Though the bullet won't be going too fast when it gets there, I'd bet there isn't a whitetail around that could stop it on a broadside shot. I've killed a decent sized bear and one big hog with this gun and load, both times the shot angle has been steep and I've got 3' or more of penetration along with an exit.

For deer I'd think almost any factory load would work, I've never been to where you hunt but I doubt the deer are any bigger or tougher than they are where I've hunted. A buddy of mine killed a pretty big grizzly with one shot from his 5" 629 a few years ago. His load of choice, Winchester white box 240 soft point, one shot to the chest folded him up from about 25 yards.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by RJM
If you want a lot of information in one book take a look at Gary Reeder's book on handgun hunting. I bought his original and updated book when I was visiting Arizona with Ron from the CF in 2013. A lot of good information from someone who has been there and done that.

As to "what gun", depends on you. Some people like the challenge of a open sighted revolver....some use a stockless rifle like an Encore...no right answer.

Bob

Exactly Bob! I've use rifles, hand rifles and revolvers.

[Linked Image]

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 8 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.