Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Is anyone familiar with this single shot rifle? How does it match up with the Ruger #1? Thanks in advance for the input. Mike

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
No personal experience with them, but in the last year or two Phil Shoemaker did an article on one in .30-06. As I recall he had only good things to say about them.

They have a rather unique look to them. If a fellow can get over that the wood is very nice.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I can't see spending that amount of coin for a break open single shot. That lever looks like schiiite too. From what I have read they do shoot well.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They seem nice, but I think they'd have better luck selling them in Europe where break-open centerfires are de rigueur, and they're used to paying high prices for rifles.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They apparently have sources for a bunch of good Turkish wood, but the back of the action looks crude, IMO. At that price point I expect better aesthetic design.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The two I have used, a 7/08 and 30-06, were both superbly accurate and had wonderful wood. But I understand that sales have not done as well as anticipated and they have now branced into building AR based rifles. If you are interested in having one I would suggest getting them when you can find them.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
So they've moved from one end of the spectrum to the other. Follow the money I guess. If they would have had a better grip on the wants of their customer base they would have done much better I think. Guys looking for a nice single shot rifle with good wood don't want a receiver that looks like that.

Given the pallet-like material Ruger has been putting on number ones lately I'd say if they went back to making Ruger stocks those would sell pretty well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pabucktail

Given the pallet-like material Ruger has been putting on number ones lately I'd say if they went back to making Ruger stocks those would sell pretty well.

I have suggested that same thing to them a number of times.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
A tweaked Encore with nice wood at triple the cost.

Never try to teach a pig to sing...
...it wastes your time and annoys the pig!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Supposedly this year's #1's will have "better" wood, but we'll have to see what that means smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A gunshop fairly local to me has a few on the shelf. I have been drooling over them. I like the stock design, and have yet to see a ratty piece of wood on one. Better, IMO, than the typical Euro-style stock found on other high end single shots. I too think the rear receiver design is a tad awkward, but I can get over it. They look a lot better in person, I might add. As for hunting with a break action single shot, it's not bad. I have/had a couple German stalking rifles and it's not a handicap IMO. Besides, who among us ever misses with a first shot and needs a quick reload? grin

The price is off-putting to us used to semi-affordable single shots from Ruger and Japan, but the fit and finish on these is world class, IMO. Comparing a Luxus to a Contender is apples v. oranges. Handle a Luxus that opens and closes like a well oiled bank vault (or a new S-class Mercedes door) and then handle a Contender and you'll see what I mean.

They have one in .22 Hornet that is calling my name very seductively. Having come into a windfall that has me looking for a nice high end single shot, I may just pull the trigger on it. Sort of a reward to myself for having put up with run-of-the-mill stuff all my life...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The owners of Luxus are serious students of quality rifles and when they were developing the model 11 they originally intended to simply make stocks and a receiver that would accept Contender barrels but they discovered that the TC quality control was so variable that they simply started making thier own rifles.
They are very well built and superbly accurate and one in a 22 hornet would be a lot of fun.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
How precise is barrel interchangeability? As good as they claim it to be? Having a couple spare barrels in different chamberings certainly piques my interest too. A Hornet, with an '06 barrel or .223 barrel to boot would be pretty cool. They're only like $600 apiece, no?

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Phil, do you know the reason for the goofy action? It's just so yucky. What's the benefit to it that they chose that rather than a more traditional approach?

Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter

I kinda like the external hammer feature.

Interesting rifle and WOW do they have some wood.

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by dogzapper

I kinda like the external hammer feature.

Interesting rifle and WOW do they have some wood.

Steve

Here's mine..........

[Linked Image]

Luxus 11 LT, 280 Rem.

JAPPFT,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
GW,
There is a nice picture of you on there web - right? Luxusarms.com

"We've had enough of exhortations to be silent! Cry out with a hundred thousand tongues! I see that the world is rotten because of silence!"
St. Catherine of Sienna
F
Frm Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
GW,

St. Catherine of Sienna
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Here is my 22 Hornet.

Haven't shot it yet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Flyer

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Frm
GW,

Don't think so.

That's Phil Shoemaker.

He's the real deal.

I'm just another porker perforator from Tejas.

JAPPFT,

GWB

[Linked Image]

my bud's 308 Luxus 11

Last edited by geedubya; 05/12/15.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

390 members (21, 160user, 22250rem, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 2500HD, 33 invisible), 2,255 guests, and 1,051 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,508
Posts18,490,691
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.