-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have been an LEO since June 1985. Patrol, helicopter pilot, tactical team, narcotics Detective. I have 3 years left and then I'm done. Neither my son or daughter showed any interest in it. He's an Aeronautical Engineer and she's a school teacher. I wouldn't have discouraged them, but I'm glad they looked elsewhere. I generally don't get involved in "cop threads" here because of the few who regularly bash all law enforcement. Now is definitely one of the more difficult times I've ever seen to be a police officer. This body and spirit has taken a beating over the last 30 years, but I wouldn't trade a second of it!

Ron

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.
Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
This is a darn good example... there are millions of us that appreciate what each and every LEO does on a daily basis... and instead of being a silent majority, we need to quit being so quiet about it...

To each of you guys on the campfire, you have both my appreciation and a salute of respect for all you do, day in and day out....

As Americans are we going to give in to these street THUGS???

Giving in may be the liberal way of dealing with it, but there are many of us here who are NOT Liberals....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
In our rural community a good cop makes a big positive difference and is appreciated by almost everyone. The sheriffs tend to be approachable regular guys who don't assume you are the scum of the earth and act like they really care even if they are just doing a job.

The department that patrols the city i drive to for work has a whole different feel to it. They obviously spend more time with jerks and scum and assume you probably fall in that category unless they know you. Oh and about every month there is a scandal regarding coerced sex by one of the bad cops in the city. I wouldn't think that would be a good place to work most of the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not every place is a schitthole to work in.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by pira114
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Well, there is a sense of duty and service to your community. But I realize I'm in the wrong place for that kind of talk

and it's wrong to say that. Most of the 'fire supports you guys, and realizes what a chit job it can be. Heck, many of our members ARE in LE.
That questionable actions presented in the news get, well, questioned, is not a reflection of how I, or most of us feel about the vast majority of folks who serve with clear conscience and valor.

Fair enough.

Pira114 I am impressed with your willingness to take criticism and respond in a reasonable manner. My comment is a little different. I think it's a two way street. At least for me if I'm going to do something out of sense of duty to my community then I would expect the community to respond with some appreciation. Sense of duty to community when the community (like Baltimore) has no sense of duty back to the police officer is a one way situation.

Last edited by silver78; 05/11/15.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Chicks dig cops, and if you do what you're supposed to do in the beginning, you get put in a job where you get to hunt every day.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Chicks dig cops,

Wait, what?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey...I'm 53 years old. That's the only two reasons I can remember.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by RWE
Chicks dig cops,

Wait, what?

That's just an urban legend. I think Mythbusters did a show on it.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by RWE
Chicks dig cops,

Wait, what?

Nah...

[Linked Image]

IC B3

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
eyes closed and can't see your hands.

perfect...

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
I've got seven years to go to retire with thirty years of service... I don't know that I'll make it. The public animosity toward peace officers in today's society just flat drains you. I try very hard to be one of the good guys, a credit to my profession and a service to my community, I'm often told I am. Yet, I get blindly lumped into the same fold as some idiot that does a dumbass stunt somewhere halfway across the country. Really wears you out after awhile. Combine that with an ever increasing workload of horror perpetrated against our most innocent and defenseless (I primarily work child abuse and neglect cases) and I'm quickly getting sick of it all. Being the greeter at Walmart or flipping burgers would pay about as much, get as much respect and leave me able to sleep at night without the bad dreams. Well... maybe not the greeter job at Walmart.
Keep your chin up and stay the course. You are very much needed where you are now. I'm sure it's far from easy, but nothing worth doing is. Thank you for your service to your community. That's for every LEO on the fire and all the good ones they work with.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
It will very tough going forward for LEO, they can thank the likes of Obama and Holder.

It's as plan as the nose on your face what is going on. It's similar to lowering standards or affirmative action. The fact is the black race is riddled with criminals. Its almost as if they think they should get a mulligan or a pass on the first few crimes. They want a different set of standards for crime verses the rest of the world. What I am afraid of is, the media and the liberals are ready to give it to them.

No longer does the LEO's get benefit of doubt. In the eyes of the national media and the black populace they are all bad.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by silver78
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Well, there is a sense of duty and service to your community. But I realize I'm in the wrong place for that kind of talk

and it's wrong to say that. Most of the 'fire supports you guys, and realizes what a chit job it can be. Heck, many of our members ARE in LE.
That questionable actions presented in the news get, well, questioned, is not a reflection of how I, or most of us feel about the vast majority of folks who serve with clear conscience and valor.

Fair enough.

Pira114 I am impressed with your willingness to take criticism and respond in a reasonable manner. My comment is a little different. I think it's a two way street. At least for me if I'm going to do something out of sense of duty to my community then I would expect the community to respond with some appreciation. Sense of duty to community when the community (like Baltimore) has no sense of duty back to the police officer is a one way situation.

Thank you. And I hear what your saying. Best I can explain it is through the use of an old story. Pretty cliche actually. First heard if from my Priest when I was a kid. Don't remember why he told the story, certainly wasn't about police work, but here it is...

A young man is walking along the ocean and
sees a beach on which thousands and thousands
of starfish have washed ashore. Further along
he sees an old man, walking slowly and
stooping often, picking up one starfish after
another and tossing each one gently into the
ocean.

“Why are you throwing starfish into the
ocean?,” he asks.

“Because the sun is up and the tide is going out
and if I don’t throw them further in they will
die.”

“But, old man, don’t you realize there are miles
and miles of beach and starfish all along it!
You can’t possibly save them all, you can’t even
save one-tenth of them. In fact, even if you
work all day, your efforts won’t make any
difference at all.”

The old man listened calmly and then bent
down to pick up another starfish and threw it
into the sea. “It made a difference to that one.”

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
pira114,
A great message!

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Good LEO are like teachers! They're BORN...not MADE!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's your personality Pat not your uniform. Grin

I can't be too harsh on the profession. I have enjoyed my 17 yrs but definitely want better for my kids. Ive had the most fun, most scary and most puckering experiences. Like Pat said, we get to hunt everyday so it's not all bad.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Many years ago, in my youth, there was a comic strip in which one of the characters was the neighborhood cop.

His standard line when something happened to him was:

"A policeman's lot is a sorry one."

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by kingfisher
It will very tough going forward for LEO, they can thank the likes of Obama and Holder.

It's as plan as the nose on your face what is going on. It's similar to lowering standards or affirmative action. The fact is the black race is riddled with criminals. Its almost as if they think they should get a mulligan or a pass on the first few crimes. They want a different set of standards for crime verses the rest of the world. What I am afraid of is, the media and the liberals are ready to give it to them.

No longer does the LEO's get benefit of doubt. In the eyes of the national media and the black populace they are all bad.

I would agree, but can't. I'm old enough to know that this stuff is cyclic, and (un)fortunately this ain't my first rodeo. It will pass and we'll still be out here doing the same thing we've always done. Nothing changes put the faces and the technology.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Originally Posted by RWE
Chicks dig cops,

Wait, what?

Nah...

[Linked Image]

Which of the Cowboys players were they?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

93 members (1_deuce, 444Matt, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 10 invisible), 1,586 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,295
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.