Hop To
Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey Elk, that's pretty nice. Y'all have some big varmints out there!

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Yup. wink

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by AussieGunWriter
I have owned several and my latest is the Longhorn which is top shelf in every respect. I enjoy every mile.
John

Here's an interesting shot of a Dodge Ram one morning just south of our lease. I call it, "Dark+Drunk=Damp". And no, I wasn't involved.... shocked

[Linked Image]

"An archer sees how far he can be from a target and still hit it, a bowhunter sees how close he can get before he shoots." It is certainly easy to use that same line of thinking with firearms. -- Unknown
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Rev,

You taking way too much pleasure in the misfortunes of others... blush

Bet you'd find a mad Dodge owner somewhere in this scene... grin

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
It was three very cold, wet, hungover Dodge owners. laugh

Two F-250s pulled them right out. Believe it or not, all they did was change the oil and fire it up. As far as I know they got back to Fr Lauderdale in one piece. crazy

IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To drown a Dodge is bad enough.

To be pulled out of the drink by a pair of Fords... shocked

Ultimate disgrace... blush

DF

R
RevMike Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
You can always look at it this way: they got it so buried that it took two to get it out. I'm not sure that's really a compliment but they seemed somehow proud about the fact.

They had a bad night.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, the later Ruger 7x57's did have shorter throats. Black pad is at least an indicator. I had both a 77 Mark II and a black-pad No. 1A that had considerably shorter throats than earlier Ruger 7x57's.

Thanks MD for the quick reply. Took care of my 7x57 deficiency this morning.......

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good deal!

With what?

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by RevMike
I have owned several and my latest is the Longhorn which is top shelf in every respect. I enjoy every mile.
John

Here's an interesting shot of a Dodge Ram one morning just south of our lease. I call it, "Dark+Drunk=Damp". And no, I wasn't involved.... shocked

[Linked Image]

Gravity works, unfortunately.

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It most certainly does!

[Linked Image]

Ted

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For some reason I have noticed Dodge guys are not terribly bothered being rescued by Chevys. But they get plum distressed about Fords helping them.

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
So leaving trucks for the moment, good post AGW, will a Ruger #1 sufficiently solve the COAL dilemma? That oft raised concern over magazine length and the long throat? Of course that doesn't mean acceptable accuracy will result but the chances are raised because you are in control of the COAL.
Say AGW, what is a British "stalking rifle platform"?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good deal!

With what?

A "nib" Boddington "Leopard". I can see my can of H4350 will be on the loading bench in a few days. Probably start with Sierra 140's and move to Noslers. Now where did that brass go...........

Last edited by bigwhoop; 05/17/15.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Good deal!

With what?

A "nib" Boddington "Leopard". I can see my can of H4350 will be on the loading bench in a few days. Probably start with Sierra 140's and move to Noslers. Now where did that brass go...........

Nice.

Pictures?

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
That'll work!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
You guys are a bad influence, swapped one of the 25-06s for my first 7x57. Shilen barrel on a VZ24 sights and scope rings.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
So leaving trucks for the moment, good post AGW, will a Ruger #1 sufficiently solve the COAL dilemma? That oft raised concern over magazine length and the long throat? Of course that doesn't mean acceptable accuracy will result but the chances are raised because you are in control of the COAL.

The British Stalking Rifle was a scaled down version of the Big Game rifle. With Rigby's and Holland's being chambered for the 7mm Series and .300 H&H being good examples.

There are quite a few of these in Oz and I owned, saw and handled these from time to time and they are cherished rifles for collectors and hunters alike.
John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Good deal!

With what?

Nice.

Pictures?
DF

I will post some after I receive it. Certainly a small bodied scope - maybe a fixed 4 or 6. I'll look at what is available from my little supply closet.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

The British Stalking Rifle was a scaled down version of the Big Game rifle. With Rigby's and Holland's being chambered for the 7mm Series and .300 H&H being good examples.

There are quite a few of these in Oz and I owned, saw and handled these from time to time and they are cherished rifles for collectors and hunters alike.
John

Thanks AGW - so the trend continues today, only with different terminology.
Maybe something like "new old stock" applies here too.

Page 13 of 17 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (1234, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 007FJ, 160user, 1lessdog, 60 invisible), 2,393 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.