Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I was lucky enough to win a scope in the cameraland drawing. They asked me to do a review on here for it. It is a Meopta 3.5-10x44 MeoPro Z-Plex reticle.

[Linked Image]

The Scope

[Linked Image]

Nice looking scope comes with rubber caps that that stay attached to scope. Caps not in picture. View is crisp and clear. Adjustment precise feeling and crisp. Has the long eyepiece like most Euro scopes.

Reticle Pic
[Linked Image]

Weight

[Linked Image]

Adjustment dial. I found after reading manual that you can lift up on outer ring and reset the zero. Kinda of a cool feature.
[Linked Image]

The only scopes I have to compare it to are 6x42 Leupolds and a 3-9x40 vx1 Leupold. And a old 6x36 and 4x Leupold. I will get to my comparisons later.

The rifle I am going to test this with is a Adl Rem 700 .223 in a Ti stock. I have my favorite 6x42 with M1 elevation turret on it in DD leupold mounts.

The Rifle

[Linked Image]

The Ammo
[img]http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy171/cheez1970/P5160014_zpsipectyfh.jpg[/img]

Last edited by 7mmMato; 05/16/15.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
GB1

7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Test gun with a 6x42 leupold usually shoots .5 five shot groups and 10 shot groups under a inch.
Here is the group I fired today prior to testing the Meopta.

[Linked Image]

Mounted up Meopta and bore sighted by looking down bore. Had to give it a couple of inches of right to get centered.

Shot a three shot group that was perfect left and right but around 1" high. Shots 1-3. Shot 4 was 2 clicks down and shot 5 was an additional 2 clicks down.

I will Decipher this picture for you. It is sideways. Left is up.
[Linked Image]

Shots 1-3 were initial sight in shots. 4 and 5 are making adjustments. Shot 6 was after 16 clicks right for 2 3/8" movement. Shot 7 was 16 clicks up 2 1/4"s. Shot 8 was 32 clicks left for 5 7/8". Shot 9 16 down for 3 3/8". Shot 10 16 clicks more down for 2 3/4". Shot 11 16 clicks right for 2 3/4". Shot 12 16 clicks right again for 2 7/8". Shot 13 16 clicks up for 2 5/8". Shot 14 was double checking to see if it would hang with previous shot. Shot 15 16 clicks left for 2 3/4" about .5 low and .5 left of initial zero.

Now to be fair I fired all those shots one right after the other with no cooling of barrel. The last 3 shots I had heat monkeys dancing on the barrel. Was shot at 10x.

Let barrel cool down and fired a 10 shot group with the Meopta set on 6x

[Linked Image]

I pulled the 10th shot so I fired #11 to see if fell back in group. It did.

Weight of Leupy 6x42 with M1 ele dial. For those interested.

[Linked Image]

7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Overall a very nice scope. Camera Land has them listed for $350.00 I believe. View is clear and bright. Scope must be mounted back further than I like due to the long eyepiece but it did not seem to effect cheek weld. Eye relief was good at any power setting. I am a notorious stock crawler so this makes me happy. Reticle is a duplex easy to see. Second focal plane reticle so it stays the same size no matter what power setting it is on. The only thing I didn't like was the turret covers are plastic and feel soft. I would of rather had metal caps but I am sure it wont be a issue.

Adjustment ring moves just right tight enough not to be moved on accident yet easily moved if needed. The quick focus eyepiece is just bad azz. Amazing how easy it is to adjust and how much better the picture is once adjusted.

I am a 6x42 leupy lover. So i compared this scope at 6x to the leupold. The Leupold seemed maybe just a hair more detail but the Meopta was a little brighter. Eye relief at 6x was very similiar. Havent checked yet for brightness in the evening but will soon and will update.

The Meopta kicks the 3-9x40 VX1 butt in every phase. The only thing I cant tell at this time is how tough it will be but time will tell. I would recommend this scope in this price range it is pretty impressive.

Reticle adjustments seem to be off somewhat but it did come back to within .5 to .75 of zero after all that dialing. May not work for great for Long Range Twisting but for normal ranges if a guy want to twist turrets I would work no problem.

Thanks Greg and CameraLand for the Fine scope. I will be purchasing some optics from you in the future.

2 Thumbs UP.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Congratulations on winning a great looking piece of glass, and a tip of the hat to the good folks at Cameraland. They really are a class act.

CT

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Thanks for the useful writeup.

IC B2

7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hope it was understandable. Wanted to make sure Cameraland got some attention.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Good write-up. No pictures of the scope on the rifle? How do you like the looks of it on your rifle? Were you able to use your DD's for mounting? Are the turrets marked for MOA and revs?? You also make no mention of the turrets spinning back azzwards as compared to you leupy. What do you think of that??? Thanks..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First off...You Suck!
Second, nice write up. I've been seriously considering purchasing one of these and you have pushed me much farther along.
You still suck.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You know I realized after I wrote this up that I didnt have a picture of it mounted on the rifle. I will try and post one tomorrow. It looks fine other than I cant mount it as far forward as I like but Im one of those guys that like his scope low and as far forward as possible. Yes the low DD mounts worked a medium would probably give enough clearance to the Power adjuster ring to slide scope forward some. Turrets are not marked numerically. they do have hash marks on them that seem to aling with the clicks. But if you are gonna spin you are going to need to count. These are just the regular posi-click finger adjustable turrets but they are 1/2" tall and the outer dial can be reset to zero so you can use them to twirl for range if you wanted to. I didnt notice that they turn back wards but now thinking of it you are right. I just followed the arrow to move them. Both ele and windage have a arrow and then say u/r so if you were inclined you could turn the scope 90 degrees and put the windage on left side. All in all a pretty well thought out scope.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Anyone happen to own this scope and a Conquest 3-9 who can give an optical quality comparison? Thanks...

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wow, I say, CL got their moneys worth out of that great write up. Good things coming together here - good guys at Camera Land have a good idea with their give away, they pick Charles and sent him a good product and he does a great review on it, helping the good guys at Camera Land sell more of their good products.

Great.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Charles, congrats on winning the scope! Nice review. Looks like you had some fun playing with it, too. cool

Last edited by Whelen Nut; 05/16/15.

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 7mmMato

Reticle adjustments seem to be off somewhat but it did come back to within .5 to .75 of zero after all that dialing. May not work for great for Long Range Twisting but for normal ranges if a guy want to twist turrets I would work no problem.

It's amazing how so many people can read the same thing and come away with completely different impressions. That scope would be sent back to Camera Land for replacement if I had received it. If the replacement came back the same way it would go in the garbage.

David

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
You know I realized after I wrote this up that I didnt have a picture of it mounted on the rifle. I will try and post one tomorrow. It looks fine other than I cant mount it as far forward as I like but Im one of those guys that like his scope low and as far forward as possible. Yes the low DD mounts worked a medium would probably give enough clearance to the Power adjuster ring to slide scope forward some. Turrets are not marked numerically. they do have hash marks on them that seem to aling with the clicks. But if you are gonna spin you are going to need to count. These are just the regular posi-click finger adjustable turrets but they are 1/2" tall and the outer dial can be reset to zero so you can use them to twirl for range if you wanted to. I didnt notice that they turn back wards but now thinking of it you are right. I just followed the arrow to move them. Both ele and windage have a arrow and then say u/r so if you were inclined you could turn the scope 90 degrees and put the windage on left side. All in all a pretty well thought out scope.

Thanks for the excellent review and answering questions. Much appreciated..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thank you for an excellent write up.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
All mounted up. Picture is right side up on photobucket but wont rotate on here weird.

[Linked Image]

Pic of turret markings.

[Linked Image]

7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Ready, Whelen Nut and everyone else thanks for the Kudo's I tried to do a nice write up It was the least I could do for Camera Land.

Last edited by 7mmMato; 05/17/15.

7mmMato Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Canazes9

It's amazing how so many people can read the same thing and come away with completely different impressions. That scope would be sent back to Camera Land for replacement if I had received it. If the replacement came back the same way it would go in the garbage.

David

I should of spoke more of this but I was tired of typing my computer wiped the hole shebang out twice before I got it posted. My range is only 90 yards so that would make up some of the lack of movement a full 1/4 per click. That would add up after several inches of movement.

My shooting surely had some effect on it as well. Conditions weren't great I had a 10 mph wind that I am sure was effecting the windage on some of the shots. The last shots the barrel was extremely hot and I had a lot of mirage off of the barrel could easily explain the .5 inch elevation loss.

You will notice that when barrel had cooled and I shot the ten shot group that it came back to zero. The first five shots were all dead perfect on elevation the is a little horizontal stringing but I blame that on me and the conditions. I will retest tracking on a later date and will update. Hopefully find a day with no wind.

I figured the tracking would raise some eyebrows but I really think it was more me and the conditions than it was the scope.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I enjoyed the report 7mm, and quite frankly I'm a little more perplexed about Canazes' post than the Meopta's tracking. It's obviously not a setup you're going to be cranking on the turrets hundreds of times per weekend.....more of a set it and forget it deal. Meopta makes a great product, and I'd use that scope anywhere, anytime.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Canazes9

David

I should of spoke more of this but I was tired of typing my computer wiped the hole shebang out twice before I got it posted. My range is only 90 yards so that would make up some of the lack of movement a full 1/4 per click. That would add up after several inches of movement.

My shooting surely had some effect on it as well. Conditions weren't great I had a 10 mph wind that I am sure was effecting the windage on some of the shots. The last shots the barrel was extremely hot and I had a lot of mirage off of the barrel could easily explain the .5 inch elevation loss.

You will notice that when barrel had cooled and I shot the ten shot group that it came back to zero. The first five shots were all dead perfect on elevation the is a little horizontal stringing but I blame that on me and the conditions. I will retest tracking on a later date and will update. Hopefully find a day with no wind.

I figured the tracking would raise some eyebrows but I really think it was more me and the conditions than it was the scope.

If it tracks it tracks - if it doesn't, it doesn't. My comment was based solely on your review, I've never seen or used one of these scopes. Based on your review, if what you posted was the norm, I would send it back. Does Camera Land think this is acceptable performance?

David

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

262 members (280Ackleyrized, 204guy, 1_deuce, 2ndwind, 260Remguy, 12344mag, 35 invisible), 2,345 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,621
Posts18,474,015
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.