Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
I haven't had a ticket since 1982. Been pulled over several times since but never got a ticket. I think maybe it's the crying that works. cry

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In all seriousness, if you have the time to do it I'd ask for a jury trial. Explain to six regular people that you're sorry but can't afford a big fine. I've seen juries fine people $1 instead of several hundred.

I'm not sure they could change the charge to keep it off your record though.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The worst is seatbelt tickets. Good gawd what a joke. Though a good runner up was getting pulled for having a tow ball. It made it "difficult" for her to run my plate. I laughed and asked why are you running my plate? Then I had to do a field sobriety test. I don't think she thought it was funny.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
My experience with tickets are the opposite. Before I was a more clear thinking man and before the Lord touched my heart I got a couple of tickets for minor infractions and was relieved. I had made a right on red at an intersection that is infamously unsafe. Cops saw me and wrote me up. I was thankful and relieved because I had just left a dinner gathering at a club and had approximately 12 vodka tonics while there. A 100.00 ticket was way better then any DUI would have been.
One night after work I got a speeding ticket for 48 in a 35 zone. That 140.00 fine was a blessing also as me and a coworker had just recycled a case of MGD's while doing some quick fix stuff on our personal vehicles.
Any traffic tickets I get from now on are just make up for the times they missed the actual crimes before. Those DUI's I should've had would have landed me in jail for elevated alcohol levels and their closeness together.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A few years back, I got 8 citations for various driving offenses in a 12 month period. Matter of fact, I was taking a driving class because of a ticket and the 2nd day of the class, I got another ticket. I managed to keep all but 2 off my record. Ask for a jury trial. If the officer doesn't come in, you'll probably walk.

IC B2

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Got a ticket once for doing 54 mph in a 35 zone around a sharp curve.....I was driving a '79 Ford Fairmont. The rear tires were admittedly bald...It was raining...my then wife was watching the speedometer like a stinkin' hawk.

When the officer pulled me over and asked if I knew why.....I had not a clue.

He told me I was going 54 mph around that bend. I kinda chuckled and said "There is absolutely no way that this car with these tires can make that turn at that speed"

He said "you wanna see the vascar readout"

Nope. Just write the ticket.....Thank you for keeping me safe.

Don't let the name fool Ya!
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't know what I'd do about a seatbelt ticket.

At least now that you can ride motorcycles wihtout a helmet. Hell you can ride em without seatbelts too.

I'd have to go to court on that one.

Luckily I quit being stupid and mostly have one on, in fact the female end died in my explorer, and cost me 170 to have it replaced... but it was worth it IMHO.

You kinda change your mind on a lot of things at times, when you are often first on scene....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by mart
I haven't had a ticket since 1982. Been pulled over several times since but never got a ticket. I think maybe it's the crying that works. cry

Taking a shytt on the seat next to you, and be consentrating on "stirring" with your finger works too.
But they back off from you with their hand on their gun....

Old Fishermen never die, we just get reel tired.

May you build a ladder to the stars
and climb on every rung.
May you stay......Forever young
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RJY66

Do I have to go to court to ask the "judge" if the points can be kept off my record? Will he do it?

Can I pay some extra extortion money and keep it off my record?

Any need to go to court at all or should I just pay the ticket and hope for the best?

friend of mine is an expert.
go to the prosecuting attorneys office the day before your court date, and ask for a " continuance for dismissal", pay probably double the fine, and keep it off your record.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by rost495
I have to wonder, if its fair, to be able to pay more cash, to keep something off your insurance record, vs folks that don't have the extra cash?
Seems unfair...

'The system' (cops, municipalities, judges, etc.) doesn't give a $ch!t whether it's fair or not. That's not what it's about. It's about money. Plain and simple. It's about extorting as much money as they can from citizens. Period.
Don't break the law, and you won't have to pay for "extortion."

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
for failing to completely stop at a stop sign. It is going to cost me over $100. I'm "guilty" so there ain't much I can say. I am not too worried about the money but I got a ticket last year for going 50 in a 35-45 transition zone...also IMO chickenshit, but not hall of fame worthy like this one. My insurance did not go up but with this new one I am afraid it will. Two tickets in 18 months.....hell crazy assed teenagers do better than that, and I am almost 50.

Do I have to go to court to ask the "judge" if the points can be kept off my record? Will he do it?

Any need to go to court at all or should I just pay the ticket and hope for the best?

I got one of those years ago. They are CS.

If you go to traffic court, know that the judges are not really interested in you arguing the point. IF you take to court, go with a lawyer or you will not get results. Lawyers know how things work, you don't.

Getting a lawyer for a simple ticket is overkill and will cost you more than your rates will increase. I'd either 1.) ask Isaac or 2.) beg the judge. Maybe both.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
for failing to completely stop at a stop sign. It is going to cost me over $100. I'm "guilty" so there ain't much I can say. I am not too worried about the money but I got a ticket last year for going 50 in a 35-45 transition zone...also IMO chickenshit, but not hall of fame worthy like this one. My insurance did not go up but with this new one I am afraid it will. Two tickets in 18 months.....hell crazy assed teenagers do better than that, and I am almost 50.

I have had more than my fair share of tickets over the years. I can only remember one ticket that I got, that I did not deserve. I fought that one and won. Most all the others I paid up and moved on.

However, a couple times I contacted the county attorney, or city attorney, depending on the situation, and asked about showing up for my court appearance rather than paying.

I was asked, are you going to contest? I responded, no, I just want to know what my options were as to mitigating the negative effects on my record. Both times I had the attorney give me an option to avoid the points going on my record. One time was an option to go to a defensive driving course. Another time I had to pay what would have been the fine amount to the county and they simply dropped the speeding. Another time, I had the option to pay extortion money (did I say that out loud?) above and beyond the fine and court costs and, as long as I did not get another moving violation in that county for a year, the violation would be deferred and no points.

What I'm saying is, There is no harm in asking.

Montana MOFO
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
My TX CHL has gotten me out of several speeding tickets with just a warning from TX DPS Troopers. Haven't had a ticket in years.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gophergunner
Originally Posted by antlers
Originally Posted by rost495
I have to wonder, if its fair, to be able to pay more cash, to keep something off your insurance record, vs folks that don't have the extra cash?
Seems unfair...

'The system' (cops, municipalities, judges, etc.) doesn't give a $ch!t whether it's fair or not. That's not what it's about. It's about money. Plain and simple. It's about extorting as much money as they can from citizens. Period.
Don't break the law, and you won't have to pay for "extortion."

Yep, just do as you're told, mind your P's and Q's, etc.. It sticks in my craw. Stupid laws deserve to be broken. Like gun laws...I totally disregard them...and I don't much give a rats a$$ what 'the system' has to say about it. Same goes for emissions stickers and expired license plates...it has nothin' to do with safety and is ALL about generating revenue for the government. The same government that nearly everyone here gripes about. One that really takes the cake is to get a seat belt citation from a motorcycle cop. Talk about hypocritical bullSch!t designed to do nothin' more than generate revenue...!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
unless you roll through a stop on a decently well travelled road, then a ticket is Barney Fife looking for something to do.

On the other hand, think of all the other times you probably deserved one and never got caught!

Got one about 8 years ago for 50 in a 35. Sounds bad, but it is a divide 4 lane, and from the traffic light you accelerate up hill at first then it levels out. A modern car with 5 or 6 speeds trans will jump to 35 in 2nd, then shift-shift-shift as you let off the gas and voila, you're at 50! I was streamed to get nailed, but what was I to say when the dude said "I would have given you 10 over"? I paid.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Willie T got stopped in Mississippi by state patrolman. LEO walks up to the vehicle and taps on the window with his baton. Window down...asked Leroy...."Know why I stopped you?" Reply is "Naw suh" Cop tells him "You didn't make a complete stop at the stop sign!" Reply back was "But I slowed down...it's the same thing!" Cop replied and told him "No it's not!" Again...cop tells him "No it's not! Get out and I'll show you!" Willie T climbs out and when he's clear of the vehicle the cops starts whipping his azz with his baton and hollers "Now...you want to to STOP....or SLOW DOWN?" crazy shocked

Even birds know not to land downwind!
R
RJY66 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I've heard that one about three times in the last two days....but thanks! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I got a seat belt ticket once.

Just got done doing roadside clean up and was taking a load of [bleep] to the dump.

Approaching a stop sign I slowed down and noticed my tarp was loose and some trash fell out.

So I got out, secured the trash and some other stuff, put it in the truck, fastened the tarp better, got it the seat and put it in drive as I buckled up.

The trooper saw that and swung around to come back.

He was nice enough to hear the explanation, which was plausible considering the trash. After a small condescending dissertation about how I should have buckled first then placed it in drive, he gave me a choice.

The seat belt ticket, or the $1,000 fine for littering - which I had stated during my explanation.

Dick.

I took the seat belt violation, and $50 later, my hitman at the courthouse had it tossed.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RWE
Dick.

In spades...!

Takes a special kinda miserable prick to do $ch!t like that.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Too many small towns rely on citation revenue to help balance the books - they call it "traffic safety". Too many supervisors look at your ticket book activity as a means for evaluations. Good activity with verbal warnings can go a long toward getting the public to correct bad driving without hitting their wallets.
Your demeanor at the stop can help your "cause" immensely.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 260Remguy, 300_savage, 222ND, 48 invisible), 2,421 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,534
Posts18,530,997
Members74,038
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.