Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I have an AC welder, and I used to weld aluminum (little bit) back in HS. In our shop class we built a dock. I don't know of any welding shops around here unfortunately, that was my first plan but couldn't find any.

I hadn't thought of arc welding it, I'll have to look more into that.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thin material ?

......"Arc Welding" it is NOT a practical option.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I started typing that this morning and had to run out for a bit, I'll do a little more looking for someone who can weld it for me even if I have to drive a ways or I'll rivet it. I'm guessing I'll go the rivet route, how do I decide on what kind of rivets to use?

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Thin material ?

GTC

I wish the engineers as the nukes i work in would understand that. idiots spec out a 1/2 thick plate, on the side of a piece of triple strut that has a .1" thick piece of jap steel spot welded on the side, then want you to use an 1/8" 7018 on it. Sure i can do it, but id rather do a double mirror weld lol

I kill chit. "The Heathens nest"
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
No brag, just fact, I've been welding for 40 years +.
My take on this is about the size of the footprint of the attachment points.
With just a few small welds, the flexing of the hull will surely cause the welds (especially aluminum) to crack out, probably not the weld itself but along the edges. This could be minimized by welding the deck legs to a reinforcement plate to spread out the stress points.
If you do not do this to some degree, I would consider the rivet route. Think airplane and most boat construction seams.
If welding, I would choose TIG over MIG, but both would work.
As stated, contamination is an issue, as is the oxide layer.
Good luck with your project.

Last edited by WYcoyote; 05/19/15.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by acooper1983
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Thin material ?

GTC

I wish the engineers as the nukes i work in would understand that. idiots spec out a 1/2 thick plate, on the side of a piece of triple strut that has a .1" thick piece of jap steel spot welded on the side, then want you to use an 1/8" 7018 on it. Sure i can do it, but id rather do a double mirror weld lol

There assigned mission here in this plane of existence is to torment Millwrights and Welders.

Those old WW boys were GREAT to work with, ....they had actually spent time on tools,...

This new bunch ? .....doorknobs and lunch pails.

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would go TIG

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The only thing I would add is invest the $8 in an aluminum grinding disc....and acetone and stainless wire brush for the nasty stuff. I have had very good luck with spool guns if the machine has the arse to push it. Aluminum in any thin gauges needs a close eye as the time it takes for your eye to see the over temp/penetration then brain to tell finger to abort is always just a weeee bit too long.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Aluminum is easy to gas weld.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've always described welding aluminum like plastic welding two zip-lock bags full of water together. Do it right and you're the hero of your buddies. Do it wrong and the entire project is ruined.

You have a PM Ryan.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (17CalFan, 160user, 1lessdog, 19rabbit52, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 67 invisible), 3,137 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,312
Posts18,526,258
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.