Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
How about that union protection for workers? What a joke,
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/may/20/teamsters-spend-big-on-politics-while-preparing-to/
The Teamsters have begun informing retirees and current workers that their pension benefits may soon be cut, the final ironic twist to a lobbying campaign that saw the union spend its own members’ dollars to win the right to shrink their retirement pay.

The somber notifications began going out from the Teamsters Central States Health and Welfare Pension Fund this spring, a decision that could ultimately affect 410,000 current pension participants and a total of more than 10 million U.S. workers nationwide. Cuts could begin as early as next year.

The cuts were made possible after the lame-duck Congress late last year passed the Multiemployer Pension Reform Act (MPRA), enabling any multiemployer pension fund to cut benefits to workers and current retirees if the plan is underfunded by at least 20 percent.

Multiemployer pension funds are commonly used by big unions and are maintained by one more or more collective bargaining agreements while operating under a board of trustees.

The Teamsters pension fund has been struggling with severe shortages for years, even as the union continued to pour millions of dollars into political election efforts and Washington lobbying.

In 2014 alone, the union and its affiliates spent nearly $5.9 million on lobbying and political contributions, and one of its main legislative targets was passage of the pension reform law that finally gave it the right to start reducing benefits, according to the lobbying reports it filed with Congress.

The union has already poured another $397,000 into Washington lobbying this year.

The letters that began going out to pensioners last month painted a bleak future for the Teamsters pension fund, suggesting Washington, and not the union, was to blame.

“Like many of our nation’s multiemployer pension funds, Central States Pension Fund has become severely underfunded and is headed toward financial failure if we don’t take immediate, decisive action,” said a CSPF letter dated April 8.

“Baby Boomers are retiring in record numbers and the union workforce has been steadily declining for years. As a result, the Fund currently has more than three times as many retirees as active members — so, fewer contributions are coming in than benefits being paid out. To put this into perspective, for every $3.46 that the Fund pays out in pension benefits, only $1 is collected from contributing employers, which results in a $2 billion annual shortfall. Clearly, that math will never work,” the letter said.

President Obama signed the MPRA into law in December after a lame-duck Democrat-run Senate reached a deal to get the law through both chambers of Congress.

Under the new law, the group hardest hit by reductions likely would be current workers and retirees under the age of 75. The most vulnerable retirees over the age of 80 and those with disabilities would continue to receive full benefits, and proposed benefit reductions for those aged 75 to 80 would be done on a sliding scale.

Any rescue plan proposed by the Teamsters pension fund trustees would have to be approved by the U.S. government. If the pension fund becomes insolvent, beneficiaries would only receive fractional payouts from the government’s Pension Benefit Guaranty Corporation.

The April 8 letter blamed Congress, saying the fact that MPRA wasn’t passed until December meant there was no legal remedy in place that allowed the Teamsters pension fund “to develop a rescue plan from going broke.”

The CSPF says pension cuts are necessary to save the Fund, but that it is too early to tell how dramatic any potential cuts will be.

lots more info on the link.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congress late last year passed the Multiemployer Pension Reform Act (MPRA), enabling any multiemployer pension fund to cut benefits to workers and current retirees if the plan is underfunded by at least 20 percent.

Well what are you expecting? The country right now is being led on an anti-union jihad, and union participation is shrinking, what choice do they have? The only employees in the trades with a decent retirement plan, they must be dealt with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Unions have kinda cut their own greedy throats all on their own

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
R
Why would anyone rely on a union consortium to garner a retirement? My union is pretty useless. But, I pay my dues because others barter for the benefits that I enjoy.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd bet $$$ the cuts don't apply to the union's administrators though.

1Minute
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 700LH

No, the GOP has convinced people that a decent wage with retirement and health is exorbitant. The unions are not the ones recruiting foreigners to come here to cut wages and increase profits of a company that just reported record profits.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Well I was a Teamster for 37 years, Western Conference, retired. We are currently funded at 89%. I also have an IRA and CD, plus a fair cash savings.
While I do agree that some unions have been greedy, not all. 40 years ago no one even knew what an IRA was
If this were to happen here it would hurt me but I would not starve.

Last edited by Scott62; 05/21/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Obama is also against unions, that should tell you something.

Elaborate?

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Karma is a cast iron bitch. These saps paid dues that was then used to lobby congress to cut their union benefits.

...the final ironic twist to a lobbying campaign that saw the union spend its own members’ dollars to win the right to shrink their retirement pay.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Time for another Teamster Strike.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
IC B3

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Barkoff

No, the GOP has convinced people that a decent wage with retirement and health is exorbitant. The unions are not the ones recruiting foreigners to come here to cut wages and increase profits of a company that just reported record profits.

BS...I wish I would have got out of the carpenters union long before I did. Have much better insurance, retirement, vacation etc. now. And I don't even have to pay to work.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SLM

BS...I wish I would have got out of the carpenters union long before I did. Have much better insurance, retirement, vacation etc. now. And I don't even have to pay to work.

Bullshitt

S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by SLM

Bullshitt

Have another glass, maybe cherry this time.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Teamsters Western Conference is currently funded at 90.7%, and expected to go up to 91.4% in 2015. More [bleep] off the wall scare tactics...

Phil

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Congress late last year passed the Multiemployer Pension Reform Act (MPRA), enabling any multiemployer pension fund to cut benefits to workers and current retirees if the plan is underfunded by at least 20 percent.

Well what are you expecting? The country right now is being led on an anti-union jihad, and union participation is shrinking, what choice do they have? The only employees in the trades with a decent retirement plan, they must be dealt with.
The choice they had was not to steal from it's members. Pensions are not being shrunk because membership is down, but that union leadership thought they were like the government with the ability to print money, and stole from their membership, just like the government steals from all of us.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by SLM

Bullshitt

Ole Barks-A-Lot. You are one dumb fugger when it comes to unions. Otherwise, you're an ok guy.

You mention republicans then read where and when the congress passed this and your boy, bammy, signed it? You did read that?

You speak of bullschitt when you're standing in it.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Obama is also against unions, that should tell you something.

Elaborate?
He's not against SEIU.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD

The choice they had was not to steal from it's members. Pensions are not being shrunk because membership is down, but that union leadership thought they were like the government with the ability to print money, and stole from their membership, just like the government steals from all of us.

Wait, are you equating "sealing" with union dues? Because last I heard anyone caught stealing was sent to prison, even Teamster officials. So explain "stealing", you think unions can run without collecting dues? Nobody has to pay dues, they can move on and work for less and save the money they pay in dues. I pay dues, that is my choice, I don't feel like I am being stole from.

Pick up any issue of a Teamster magazine and turn to the back, they list all the Teamster officials charged with crime.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The bottom line...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Politically, the unions have no one nat'l party to turn to. They just keep pumping members' dues money to the demos and are only hoping for the best, e.g., like the auto bailouts. Every now and then, the demos will throw them a little dry bone to gnaw on but the die is cast for them and the handwriting is on the wall. Geo-economics has put ALL hourly labor under the gun and competition is worldwide. That will NEVER change from this point, forward.

The degree of my privacy is no business of yours.

What we've learned from history is that we haven't learned from it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (160user, 16penny, 10ring1, 007FJ, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 51 invisible), 2,938 guests, and 1,261 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,491
Posts18,490,373
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.