-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 26 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 25 26
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yea, the stupid punk was StripBuckHunter, hence the SBH.

Everybody needs to just put him and DancesWithGuns on ignore and when they realize that nobody is paying any attention to them they will go away.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Steelhead
One Shot Smack Down!

Another fantastic response by the hypocrite steelhead . . .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'll just leave this here...

Brian Ward posted at ArcheryTalk on May 23, 2015:

I went back at looked at my notes, my final loads for my hunt were 85 grains of H-1000.

It is over the published data of 83 from Hodgdon Data Manual.

I worked up from 10% below max and worked up the final load in half grain increments looking for accuracy (also potency) since I was hunting for moose in Alaska with Griz running around. There were no pressure signs in the cases compared to the 83 gr load (no blown primers, splits, cracks etc.). I even had two other experienced reloaders look at the cases.

Also, since this was a single shot, I was not seating the bullet as deep, allowing for more case capacity… but I was not engaging the rifling. My loads did not exceed SAAMI PSI for the 300 win mag. They were at max but not over.

Sigh...

I have no experience with the .300 Win Mag, folks. What would a 2 grain overcharge do?

(Looking at current loads for the H1000 published by Hodgdon, the max loads for the 180 grain NOS E-TIP and the 180 grain SPR MT-SP are 79.4 grains compressed and 81.0 grains compressed, respectively.)

Looks like there was an extra .45acp charge of powder in there.

I'm still interested in knowing what parts failed.

Regards,

Josh

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, the rounds were above book max, but determined to be below SAAMI max pressure?

Which lab did the testing on the rounds to determine pressure?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RWE
So, the rounds were above book max, but determined to be below SAAMI max pressure?

Yes. Inquiring minds need to know this.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hi Doc! Good to see ya'.

Back to the topic, now, I guess.

Josh

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Originally Posted by RWE

I would say right at max... but by my gun expert, and reloading software.

Last edited by Brian_Ward; 05/27/15.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brian_Ward
Originally Posted by RWE

I would say right at max... but by my gun expert, and reloading software.

Who was your gun expert and what lab did he use?

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Joshua_M_Smith

I went back at looked at my notes, my final loads for my hunt were 85 grains of H-1000.

I worked up from 10% below max and worked up the final load in half grain increments looking for accuracy (also potency) since I was hunting for moose in Alaska with Griz running around. There were no pressure signs EXCEPT FOR THE F UCKING GUN EXPLODING in the cases compared to the 83 gr load (no blown primers, splits, cracks etc.). I even had two other experienced reloaders look at the cases.

Also, since this was a single shot, I was not seating the bullet as deep, allowing for more case capacity… but I was not engaging the rifling. My loads did not exceed SAAMI PSI for the 300 win mag. They were at max but not over.

Sigh...

I have no experience with the .300 Win Mag, folks. What would a 2 grain overcharge do?

(Looking at current loads for the H1000 published by Hodgdon, the max loads for the 180 grain NOS E-TIP and the 180 grain SPR MT-SP are 79.4 grains compressed and 81.0 grains compressed, respectively.)

Regards,

Josh

Last edited by heavywalker; 05/27/15.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Well, you won the case, so all this Monday morning quarterbacking is past moot. It does give the natives something to rail and pontificate against, though, and that is often needed. Of course, most of those railing the loudest have done similar to what you did but didn't permanently damage themselves or destroy a rifle. Nor did it pay. Therein lies the rub.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I worked up from 10% below max and worked up the final load in half grain increments looking for accuracy (also potency) since I was hunting for moose in Alaska with Griz running around. There were no pressure signs in the cases compared to the 83 gr load (no blown primers, splits, cracks etc.). I even had two other experienced reloaders look at the cases.

Sigh...

Interesting,..straight from Hogdgon's website..

[Linked Image]

He's probably going to sue the Brass manufacturer next because they should have known he could make an Over-Pressure load and didn't size the brass accordingly...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
Well, you won the case, so all this Monday morning quarterbacking is past moot. It does give the natives something to rail and pontificate against, though, and that is often needed. Of course, most of those railing the loudest have done similar to what you did but didn't permanently damage themselves or destroy a rifle. Nor did it pay. Therein lies the rub.

Actually, if you paid any attention at all, you'd know that T/C is filing a motion for a retrial and an appeal of the decision. So, no, it's not over and most of the people are simply asking questions about details (load specifics, pressure testing, experts, why the jury determined 40% fault, etc.).

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by heavywalker

I worked up from 10% below max and worked up the final load in half grain increments looking for accuracy (also potency) since I was hunting for moose in Alaska with Griz running around. There were no pressure signs EXCEPT FOR THE F UCKING GUN EXPLODING in the cases compared to the 83 gr load (no blown primers, splits, cracks etc.). I even had two other experienced reloaders look at the cases.

Sigh...

Regards,

Josh

This made me raugh out roud.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Did kind of hit the funny bone some.
Just glad i wasn't drinking at the time.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
T/C is filing a motion for a retrial and an appeal of the decision.
Of course they did. Doesn't mean they will get another trial or reversal but the only way they would do such a thing, is that he won his case and it may or may not be over.

I've seen this drill before many times for different things. It's not about details, it's about a time to show someone wrong and be sanctimonious doing it. Carry on.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RickyD
T/C is filing a motion for a retrial and an appeal of the decision.
Of course they did. Doesn't mean they will get another trial or reversal but the only way they would do such a thing, is that he won his case and it may or may not be over.

I've seen this drill before many times for different things. It's not about details, it's about a time to show someone wrong and be sanctimonious doing it. Carry on.

No, quite frankly, it's about wanting to know what happened. The dude had a firearm blow up on him and was rather seriously injured. The only way to really prevent the same from happening to someone else is to know what happened. Juries make mistakes; quite often in fact. Taking a trial jury decision for Gospel isn't necessarily a good idea, especially when technical matters are at hand and 40% fault is assigned to the aggrieved party.

The load matters. The pressure testing and lab used matters. The experts matter. The design flaws matter. The contributory negligence matters. All the facts matter, not just the ones that are most beneficial to the publicity case being made by either party.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
If the post was made in an effort to keep other people from making the same mistakes and warning them about the dangers of doing certain things that he did with the encore and he had been forth coming with information from the legitimate inquiries then many people here wouldn't have an issue with this thread.

However the tone of the thread from the beginning was strictly to harm TC and the encore brand. There has been no attempt to educate people on what happened and he has absolved himself of any wrong doing or even giving legitimate answers to questions regarding the jury findings. The post is agenda driven and wreaks of bitterness, so with that said, he gets what he gets.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and that tone is so obvious, I can say the T/C will love to show this thread as a reason for his suit - bitterness, as opposed to truth.

But that's assuming they want a retrial....

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just looking in the latest Sierra hand book,they list these loads for H-1000:180 grain bullet-71.2-79.2
200 grain bullet-68.5-77.5

Seems like it was just a tad warm.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 4ager

No, quite frankly, it's about wanting to know what happened. The dude had a firearm blow up on him and was rather seriously injured. The only way to really prevent the same from happening to someone else is to know what happened.

The picture is of a busted stock:

[Linked Image]

The contention was that the rifle was found by his friend after the accident, and that it had no shell in the chamber.

I believe the assertion is that improper headspace somehow made the rifle unlock during firing, exposing the breech and ejecting the shell, before closing again.

Frankly, my own personal theory is that the recoil was quite stout and if the breech did open, it was due to recoil driving the triggerguard/breech lever against his middle finger, at which time muzzle rise allowed his middle finger to rotate the lever downward.

That, however, is only a guess. Did the stock break under recoil and allow this to happen, or did the stock break when it was dropped?

I flat don't know. I'm stretching things quite far as is. It seems like the only chain of events that could possibly make the rifle empty its own chamber.

Regards,

Josh

Page 10 of 26 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 25 26

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 007FJ, 68 invisible), 2,776 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,216
Posts18,485,508
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.