Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
BREAKING: Walmart Makes Major Announcement Affecting 250,000 People Nationwide

For many veterans, finding gainful employment after leaving the military is extremely difficult — especially if one’s military occupational specialty doesn’t translate well to the civilian world.

However, America’s largest retailer is changing that with their Veterans Welcome Home Commitment program, which aims to hire 250,000 honorably discharged veterans into their vast workforce by 2020.

The program launched in 2013, with a goal of hiring 100,000 veterans by 2018, but thanks to an overwhelming response they’ve hired 92,000 veterans already, which prompted the change in number and timeline for their recruitment goals.

It’s a program that actually guarantees employment to any veteran with an honorable discharge.

According to Fox Business, retired Brig. Gen. Gary Profit, Walmart’s senior director of military programs, said of the program, “We’ve experienced a tremendous response to the Veterans Welcome Home Commitment in our first two years, and as more service members transition out of active duty, we know we can do more.”

Nate Waits, a retired Marine and current Walmart employee, spoke on Fox News’ “Your World” and praised the retailer for reaching out to the veteran community, men and women who often struggle after parting ways with the military.

“I think it’s something that holds value and I think that veterans have something to offer the civilian working world,” Waits explained. “And I really appreciated Walmart for looking into that.”

He went on to describe the win-win situation for veterans and Walmart, as the military instills many desirable characteristics upon service members, including teamwork, leadership and a strong work ethic — traits that make for highly desirable employees (H/T Fox News).

We salute Walmart for taking veterans seriously and looking out for them as they transition back to civilian life, which is almost never smooth. The uncertainty of the future for any veteran leaving the military is scary, but thanks to Walmart guaranteeing them jobs, that’s one less thing many vets will have to worry about.

Share this on Facebook and Twitter if you support Walmart for hiring hundreds of thousands of military veterans who might have otherwise not found employment after leaving the service.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Few better than Walmart. Very few.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
Few better than Veterans. Very few.

fixed it for you

EdM,
Respectfully disagree.

There are some underlying reasons for WM pushing the hiring of veterans.

WM is just spinning it into a PR opportunity.

Arcus Venator
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Tell that to the vets getting jobs.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
course Walmart is using it for PR, but they are also giving jobs.....very lil in this life is truly done altruistically, chit happens cause someone sees something in it for them....even if that something is making themselves feel good....still they are putting their money where their mouth is and doing something obviously alot of other businesses arent or this wouldnt be news worthy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It is PR! WM pays very little and this is a good way to get good PR. Their turn over is terrible and they always need people.
I have no use for them.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I had no idea.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Yes, a corporation will hire 250k people as a PR stunt. Yes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
It is PR! WM pays very little and this is a good way to get good PR. Their turn over is terrible and they always need people.
I have no use for them.

could say the same of one of the local banks or the department with the state i work for....high turnover there aswell.....Walmarts high turnover cause its a low wage job.....but the economy does need low wage jobs.....it is what it is....cant sell the cheap ass goods everyone wants if your paying everyone $15 an hour....yeah they may not pay much but that 6 months or a year of steady employment and a good recommendation sure looks good when making the step to another job....Walmart is not ment to be a creer path, just a stepping stone and and some people would rather work than b!tch and sit living on handouts....not sure where this country got the idea that every job should mean affording a house and two cars.....

Last edited by rattler; 05/22/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EdM
I had no idea.

Sorry, I missed the sarcasm in your original post. cool

Arcus Venator
IC B3

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I do tire of folks that have made the choice, yes as dumbazzes have made the choice, to live the life they whine. Chitt, we are here once (at least by my books) and have to choose the misery, or not? And what is it we should do better than our own such that will not be such whiner's?

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Calvin
Yes, a corporation will hire 250k people as a PR stunt. Yes.

Probably not , but they WILL for a sunstancial tax credit like the Work Opportunity Tax Credit Extended...

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Walmart has done a great job of destroying good local merchants and other low end marketers while attracting a very large client base which seems pretty questionable in many respects. Flipping burgers would be much higher on my list of potential workplaces if simply getting a job was my goal.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Good Lord.

Who's says the Vet has to retire as a stock clerk??

If a Vet finds a job while he transitions back into society, or works at Wally world while going to school at night, well then, God bless Walmart and God bless the Vet. It's a steady job while he find something more lucrative. Wally World wasn't meant to pay the support of a family of 4.

- Rogue
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
If they are going to keep employees down to 28 hours or less, they will need to hire a ton more employees to fill the schedule. I skimmed the article, I didn't see key words like full time or benefits being used.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CRS
Originally Posted by EdM
Few better than Veterans. Very few.

fixed it for you

EdM,
Respectfully disagree.

There are some underlying reasons for WM pushing the hiring of veterans.

WM is just spinning it into a PR opportunity.

What facts are you basing this on? When they do something for the common good, you guys still have to bash them. Why don't you go ask these newly employed vets what their thoughts are on this?

Last edited by gophergunner; 05/22/15.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still won't go into one unless there is NO other choice. I'll pay an extra 25% to avoid that zoo.

B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Wal-Mart recently announced they are raising the minimum wage they pay to 10.00 an hour. That's alot better than many places that pay the Federal minimum of 7.25. It's also possible to work your way up to a management position and that pays fairly well with benefits.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Wal Mart has never forced any small business to shut down.

People who stop shopping at the small businesses and flock to Wal Mart do!

Good for vets, good for Wal Mart

CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Working for WM in a management position for more than a few years. Now in a much better environment.

I was asked to move up more than once, but did not want WM to be my career. I would not drink the WM kool aid and just wanted to come work and perform my job to the best of my ability and give the usual 110%.

I have no issue with them hiring veterans. They have been hiring the unhireable for more than a few years. Definitely a step up going with honorably discharged veterans.

1. They take orders, no questioned asked.
2. They do not have to pay them benefits because of military benefits.
3. Good PR, which they desperately need.

Did everyone miss the latest PR on how they are raising wages for their employees. They are not doing that for altruistic reasons. They simply could not get satisfactory persons hired at the current pay rate.

Applicants are not passing drug/background checks. Getting hired and not showing up because they are finding better opportunites.

This was in western SD, my guess is that it is much worse in bigger cities. From my experience in other WM's around the country as a customer, I think I am spot on.

Arcus Venator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

536 members (1234, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1941USMC, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 42 invisible), 2,269 guests, and 1,168 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,643
Posts18,493,286
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.