Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by DancesWithGuns
Shot taken at excessive range, thus velocity too low when bullet finally got to the deer.

The hit was too far back, behind the diaphragm and only clipped the very edge of the far side lung as it ranged slightly forward.

Those guys did a bad thing.

Respect the game. Take sensible shots.

Bullet not to blame......hunter to blame.

???

Shot placement is well forward of the diaphragm.

David

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Canazes9
I'm not seeing the liver shot. Looks like a high lung shot, just under the spine to me. Not perfect placement, but seems good to me (higher and further back than I would have preferred, but I wouldn't have expected that buck to last that long).

[Linked Image]

???

David

I had an aoudad hunter a few years ago peg a big ram in roughly the same spot with a 300WBY and 180 partitions at a distance of roughly 200 yards. The ram fell over immediately, appearing to be stone cold dead. We watched him laying there from our shooting position across a small canyon for over 5 minutes. When we got up to fetch our prize, taking no more than 10 steps, the ram got up, ran off, never to be seen again, even though we'd find small drops of blood every 200 yards or so.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I had an aoudad hunter a few years ago peg a big ram in roughly the same spot with a 300WBY and 180 partitions at a distance of roughly 200 yards. The ram fell over immediately, appearing to be stone cold dead. We watched him laying there from our shooting position across a small canyon for over 5 minutes. When we got up to fetch our prize, taking no more than 10 steps, the ram got up, ran off, never to be seen again, even though we'd find small drops of blood every 200 yards or so.

That's an amazing amount of detail you have on shot placement for an animal that wasn't recovered. Have any pictures or video of the shot? Was your hunter using Barnes bullets?

David

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The hit was NOT behind the diaphragm, or at most entered right on the edge, but the buck was quartering away enough for the bullet to get the top of both lungs--but NOT the liver, because the liver is on the other side of the body.

But the bullet did land HIGH in the lungs, not far below the spine. I did a bunch of research on lung wounds several years ago, including interviews with forensic ballisticians and veterinarians. The edges of the lungs have far smaller blood vessels than the center, especially in the area above the heart, and also less "air pressure." Consequently it not only takes longer for animals hit around the edges of the lungs to die, but depending on the extent of the wound they can even survive and heal up. It isn't uncommon, for instance, to kill elk that had been previously shot high through the lungs, just under the spine, and find the wound channel healed. An African PH I hunted with says it also happens with gemsbok, but he has never seen it with a kudu.

A monolithic bullet retaining all its petals doesn't make as large a wound channel as a more fragmenting bullet, but plastic-tipped monos usually expand enough to kill quickly when placed reasonably well. This hit was around the fringes.

Based on some experience, I'd guess the deer would have died quicker if hit in the same place with a bullet that at least partly fragmented, but that's just a guess. Have also seen animals hit with a bunch of other bullets, of all types, survive longer than they "should."

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Chuck Nelson. Wow, there's a blast from the past. Wonder if he's still bitching about the McMillan stock he started an epic rant about. IIRC, Rick went above and beyond before ultimately giving Chuck the hook.

IC B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
The hit was NOT behind the diaphragm, or at most entered right on the edge, but the buck was quartering away enough for the bullet to get the top of both lungs--but NOT the liver, because the liver is on the other side of the body.

But the bullet did land HIGH in the lungs, not far below the spine. I did a bunch of research on lung wounds several years ago, including interviews with forensic ballisticians and veterinarians. The edges of the lungs have far smaller blood vessels than the center, especially in the area above the heart, and also less "air pressure." Consequently it not only takes longer for animals hit around the edges of the lungs to die, but depending on the extent of the wound they can even survive and heal up. It isn't uncommon, for instance, to kill elk that had been previously shot high through the lungs, just under the spine, and find the wound channel healed. An African PH I hunted with says it also happens with gemsbok, but he has never seen it with a kudu.

A monolithic bullet retaining all its petals doesn't make as large a wound channel as a more fragmenting bullet, but plastic-tipped monos usually expand enough to kill quickly when placed reasonably well. This hit was around the fringes.

Based on some experience, I'd guess the deer would have died quicker if hit in the same place with a bullet that at least partly fragmented, but that's just a guess. Have also seen animals hit with a bunch of other bullets, of all types, survive longer than they "should."

Makes sense to me!

Edit: Probably a slow twist barrel...

Thanks,

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 05/24/15.
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Canazes9

That's an amazing amount of detail you have on shot placement for an animal that wasn't recovered. Have any pictures or video of the shot? Was your hunter using Barnes bullets?

David

It' relatively easy to see bullet impact, and small amounts of blood coming out of an animal with 10x42 SLC's at 200 yards. I already said it was a partition. Point being, it was shot in a marginal area at best, where funny things can happen. Sorry you missed it. I believe the example MD gave is what happened.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've learned the hard way. Standard Operating Guideline, push the hard bullets fast and drill shoulders.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
The video stated the shot was 397 yards with a 140 gr TTSX from a 280AI. Putting that into RCBS.load's ballistic calculator and assuming a muzzle velocity of 2970 fps puts it at about 2130 fps when it struck. That's faster than the minimum velocity I've seen for Barnes TTSX to open up, but like BC30 says, it was a high lung shot and missed any heavy bones to help it open.

This explains it to me. Most bullets work if used right. Nothing wrong with TTSX's, but it was the wrong bullet for the job in this case. Copper isn't a good long range bullet. Bullet speed was too slow at that range to get any expansion.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

It' relatively easy to see bullet impact, and small amounts of blood coming out of an animal with 10x42 SLC's at 200 yards. I already said it was a partition. Point being, it was shot in a marginal area at best, where funny things can happen. Sorry you missed it. I believe the example MD gave is what happened.

Sorry JG, I guess I wasn't really paying attention to what you posted. 10x42 SLC's huh? Well that settles it, with those high end binoculars I've no doubt you were able to tell where that bullet went as easily as watching a video on your computer.

Didn't you state earlier that you thought the deer on this video was liver shot?

David

IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Tipped TSX's will expand nicely at least down to 2000 fps. Have seen it many times.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
I've only seen around 400 big game animals killed, so while I certainly don't know anywhere near everything, I've usually got a pretty good idea. You need to start paying better attention and get over yourself.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I've only seen around 400 big game animals killed, so while I certainly don't know anywhere near everything, I've usually got a pretty good idea. You need to start paying better attention and get over yourself.

My goodness what a big number!

I am paying attention - and you're not answering the question. Didn't you imply earlier in this thread that you believed the buck in the video to be liver shot?

Shut me up with a shivering comment about how expensive something you have (or more likely, something you've seen) is....

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes, I made a statement about liver shots, and how it relates to my springbok. I'm not sure where your comment on my expensive stuff comes from. Not sure I've ever made a post on that.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes, I made a statement about liver shots, and how it relates to my springbok. I'm not sure where your comment on my expensive stuff comes from. Not sure I've ever made a post on that.

No JG you related it to this video, as in agreeing with a previous posters assessment that the deer was liver shot.

My comment on your expensive stuff is based on your name dropping in this thread "watched through my 10x42 SLC's" and similar comments in other posts.

It's boring.

David

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
You're dead wrong, again, and I've never commented, ever, attempting to impress anyone with my so called expensive stuff. That's ridiculous. You questioned how I knew where the shot on the aoudad landed, and I answered you. Nothing more to it than that. Sorry to disappoint you.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You're dead wrong, again, and I've never commented, ever, attempting to impress anyone with my so called expensive stuff. That's ridiculous. You questioned how I knew where the shot on the aoudad landed, and I answered you. Nothing more to it than that. Sorry to disappoint you.

No JG - I pointed out how you were incapable of making a correct call on a video that you could watch at your leisure, freeze frame, replay, etc.

Given that I'm highly suspicious of your ability to accurately note the POI on an animal shot in the field.

Side note - I find it truly comical that you seem to believe being present for 400+ big game kills makes you some sort of expert.

David

Last edited by Canazes9; 05/24/15.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Here's a deer shot correctly at just under 200 yards.

Note that the hit is slightly forward of the one on the deer in the video and that the deer dropped and did not move.

When velocity is still high enough this hit imparts sufficient shock to the spine that the deer goes down and stays down and bleeds out internally.

Those hunters should focus more on making a good shot and killing game humanely and less on making stupid videos for Youtube. I won't say they're slob hunters--just young and unwise, probably.

It's not about the bullet, it's about hitting in the right place from a reasonable range.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by DancesWithGuns; 05/24/15.

The Tea Party Movement is pretty much the same as a bowel movement except that it smells worse and has far less in the way of intelligent content.
--DancesWithGuns
J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Am I supposed to care what you think? Feel free to interpret my posts however you want to, but you obviously do not comprehend them very well at all. I did not, nor have I ever claimed to be an expert at anything, other than my opinion.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Am I supposed to care what you think?

Only you can answer that JG...

...On my recent trip to Namibia...

...It' relatively easy to see bullet impact, and small amounts of blood coming out of an animal with 10x42 SLC's at 200 yards...

Good talk JG.

David

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (16penny, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 63 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,034
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.