Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I have a 3200 square foot fenced in enclosure that will be used for all future veggie gardening and am wondering about the pros and cons of going totally organic.

Thoughts from the 24HCF gardening pros are welcomed, please.

TIA,284

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Organic as in No Herbicides, Pesticides, Chemical Fertilizers, etc..?

IMO, only if you want to pick up another full time job....

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
My cat apparently thinks so.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I used to call it orgasmic gardening. I did use some fertilizers like Miracle-Gro, but never any chemical pesticides. Instead, I planted marigolds in and around my veggies, and sprayed with a garlic/mild soap solution if I saw bugs. It worked for me.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Our garden space is currently 1600sqft, but has been as big as 4000.

I think it is more work to garden organically, but it is worth the effort.

Sourcing truly organic compost is your biggest obstacle. After that, it is just effort.

Plant the rows far enough apart that you can run a tiller between them. Be very aggressive early pulling weeds and then be resigned to having some weeds after your produce has gotten bigger.

The pests seem to change year to year, so be ready to not have a bumper crop of your favorites every year.

Get a good pair of gloves.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Knowing that I am the only one to touch my food is organic enough for me.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have Marigolds and Basil planted around the entire perimeter of my garden. This is my 4th year with a garden at our house and I don't use any pesticides in the garden.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I don't use pesticides either, but I do use roundup to kill the weeds before I plant, and a 16 16 16 fertilizer. I am pretty sure that disqualifies it from organic.

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Backroads

Plant the rows far enough apart that you can run a tiller between them. Be very aggressive early pulling weeds and then be resigned to having some weeds after your produce has gotten bigger.

Get a good pair of gloves.

Actually I'm using a series of 4X4 boxes that are very easy to maintain without the need of a tiller.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
You are going to have 200 boxes?

IC B3

284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hell no !!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I have Marigolds and Basil planted around the entire perimeter of my garden. This is my 4th year with a garden at our house and I don't use any pesticides in the garden.

I tried Marigolds around my tomatoes one year. The grasshoppers loved em... eek

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Dunno about "worth it or not". We have about 1600sf of vegetable garden. Crowder peas, okra, tomatoes, cucumbers squash, peppers, etc. (can and sell). In the past we've kinda done it as "mostly organic plus some Roundup and Sevin...."

As far as weeds go, we hoe a little where we need to, and try to give it one very thorough spraying of Roundup just before the rows shade over, and then that's pretty much it for the weeds.

Trying Neem Oil ("organic") this year for insects - haven't used it before - maybe it'll mean we don't need any Sevin. And a little lure/trap for Squash Vine Borers that so far seems to do a good job of keeping them away. We'll see.

The town nearest us has a Saturday farmer's market from late Spring to early Fall, and we go sell whatever we have. Sometimes folks will ask "so are y'all organic?" So far I've resisted making any smart-aleck remarks about being Carbon-based, but we usually say something like "not totally". (self-serving amateur psychobabble follows:) They seem to really like that answer, and nod in a way that indicates they think that being partially-organic's eminently sensible and practical (like themselves, of course) -- not like those loony Organic-As-Religion folks they've heard of. smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Nope.I put about 4" of composted mule manure on in the fall,and rototill it the, spring I spray with Round Up,till again and use some 16-16-16 around each plant and little in each row of corn and such. At times I have used a littl ebit of Sevin.
I'm not dead yet

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hint... grin

[Linked Image]

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
From the answers provided so far I'm thinking that going organic maybe just too much damn work as one poster implied.

Therefore a little 41% Glyphosate, some 10-10-10 & blood meal side dressing around the corn might get me home.

??????

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We sprayed our 2400 sq.ft. fenced garden this week with round-up, and it really does a good job of "instant death" of the growing foliage, but also renders the roots unable to come back up. It saves a lot of back breaking work weeding out the weeds that are already there. I wouldn't like being without it.

We used to grow 20 rows of sweet corn but have downsized a bit.
We will still plant our corn next week and then spray(pre-emergence)it with Lumax and no weeds will grow for at least 2 months. Again saving lots of work for 2 older people.

All our garden space will get a good dose of 20-10-10 chemical fertilizer and a super good tilling. We then plant green beans, beets,kohlrabi's, spaghetti squash, lettuce, spinach, potatoes tomatoes, cucumbers and water melons. We then do some hand weeding of the rows, and tilling with an 18" lightweight tiller. Still enough work, but at our age and my aching back, my organic gardening days are a thing of the past. Suit yourself, but to me it ain't worth it.

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
From the answers provided so far I'm thinking that going organic maybe just too much damn work as one poster implied.
??????

It depends on what your reason is for going Organic.

If you live on either coast where Hipsters go gaga and pay lots of money for anything Organic, then yes, it might be worth the hassle.

If you live in the center of the U.S. and are looking to furnish produce for yourself and just keep weeds and bugs at bay, such as I, then it might not be worth it.

Personally, I'm not going to spend any extra time pulling up Bermuda grass when a quick pass with Glyphosate will do.

IMO, Organic is a term somebody made up so they can charge more $$$. Kinda like the "Angus Beef" or "Grassfed Beef" movement...but that's just my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Deerwhacker444
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
??????

It depends on what your reason is for going Organic.

If you live on either coast where Hipsters go gaga and pay lots of money for anything Organic, then yes, it might be worth the hassle.

If you live in the center of the U.S. and are looking to furnish produce for yourself and just keep weeds and bugs at bay, such as I, then it might not be worth it.

Personally, I'm not going to spend any extra time pulling up Bermuda grass when a quick pass with Glyphosate will do.

IMO, Organic is a term somebody made up so they can charge more $$$. Kinda like the "Angus Beef" or "Grassfed Beef" movement...but that's just my opinion.

like most things the best answer for most people is prolly somewhere in the middle....i tended to use as much organic ferts as possible because our water is so full of minerals dumping more in the form of salts from chemical ferts didnt seem like the best idea for my garden where it didnt cost me alot more to go organic there....plus we have high clay soil often with low organics so more organic matter helps the soil anyway...but i do use weed killer and insecticides on occasion....

Last edited by rattler; 05/24/15.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
284LUVR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D444, not looking for monetary gain or to be PC.

Retired and fresh veggies. What's not to like ? smile

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 61 invisible), 2,365 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,544
Posts18,491,590
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.