Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
First time I ever heard a peacock I thought there was a kid trapped in a culvert. Never did find the kid, figured out WTF it was. I tried in vain to hit the damn things on the road but they never cooperated.

MAGA

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
I grew up with roosters around me, guess that's why it doesn't bother my sleep. When I lived in Mexico, there must have been 40+ in the neighborhood around me. I slept great.

I can even tolerate peacocks. Now that's the way to go nuclear with your neighbors..

EEEE-YOWWW!!! EEEE-YOOOW!! EEE-YOOOWW!

Guinee fowl are noisy also but eat the chit outa ticks.They actually lay a good sized egg and its tasty.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by RobJordan
Apparently my wife has a recessive (or is it latent?) farmer gene which is starting to manifest itself. Says she wants me to build her a small coop so she can raise chickens. What the %!&@? Guys, is this at all worth it for a few eggs and a breast (chicken that is wink ) every now and again? I do eat a lot of eggs and like chicken breast. Just not sure I want to raise these dumb birds and have them [bleep] all over the lawn and deck and such. Next year she wants a bee hive! eek Where does it end?

Jordab

Chickens ain't so bad, they do tend to attract vermin( rats especially) but depending on how you feed them, and how good your coop is not too much problem. If you broadcast feed on the ground then rats will come from the next county. if dispensed in feeders , no worse then any other outdoor animal.
Fresh eggs and the occasional fresh breast are always good thing. plucking dead chickens ain't so fun. If you get a few guinea hens they will keep out most vermin , but drive some people crazy....
J.M.H.O.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Huntz
Chickens are the filthiest animals alive.

I think Koalas take the cake in that category. But that is another thread altogether.

I say get the chickens, the wife will be happy and when you get tired of them you can eat them. What's not to like??

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Cecil56

Buddy and myself went to their farm Saturday night, grabbed two of their roosters and caged them. Drove the hour drive there and put the cage of roosters under their camper about mid-night while they were sleeping. Have not talked with them, we normally get together on Saturadys. Can't wait to hear the story, especially when she figures out that they are her roosters! Yea, I can be a turd.

laugh laugh laugh. You are my hero. Funniest thing I have read all day.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you butcher one just right and leave the brain stem you can be on the covers of magazines and have parades every year for your chicken.

You could be a celebrity just like your bird, just like Mike the headless chicken from Fruita, CO.

http://time.com/3524433/life-with-mike-the-headless-chicken-photos-of-a-famously-tough-fowl/

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/story/11178

grin grin grin

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks all for the info---pro and con. 'Preciate it.

Communists: I still hate them even after they changed their name to "liberals".

My boss asked why I wasn't working. I told him I was being a democrat for Halloween.
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Avian flu will double if not triple egg prices this year. Millions of hens have been euthanized. Makes having a few hens around a good idea.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any of you folks keep ducks?

Growing up relatives of ours who lived in the country always kept a few chickens and a small number of ducks.

They had a large pen, with a small stream running through, although the birds were allowed to forgage around the garden during the day.

Still to this day I prefer ducks eggs to those from chickens..

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
We've kept chickens for several years now. It is worth it to us. Over the last month we lost all of our hens to foxes...still have a rooster left. I found two fox dens last week so I got some killin' to do before we get more.

One plus of having a rooster is hens often lay more (eggs that is) compared to if there isn't a rooster. Not a huge increase and may vary between breeds.

We have guineas as well. Their eggs are smaller but very rich. They are tick control at it's finest. When we first moved in years ago we couldn't walk across our yard without having to pull ticks off our socks. After a couple of years of guineas we rarely see a tick. They are also much more wary of predators...and make a lot of noise.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know f it's financially worth it. Eggs and chicken are fairly cheap.

I have a friend that lives in So. Eastern Ohio. He had a real problem with ticks on his property. He got 25 chickens, no more tick problem.

He says that when he tills his garden a troop will follow him. He has to protect his tomatoes and peppers, and the low hanging green beans get pecked off. No problem with te beans higher on the vine. He says he see's chickens picking slugs off his cabbages. He no longer seems to have a cut worm problem.

Last edited by Armednfree; 05/25/15.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Pete E
Any of you folks keep ducks?

Growing up relatives of ours who lived in the country always kept a few chickens and a small number of ducks.

They had a large pen, with a small stream running through, although the birds were allowed to forgage around the garden during the day.

Still to this day I prefer ducks eggs to those from chickens..

I've been thinking about it. I LOVE duck eggs and I love eating ducks.

Also figuring on getting a 2 turkeys and slaughtering them for Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Of course my wife wants to get the chickens, lots of 'We really need to get some chickens' etc.

Of course WE means ME doing ALL the work

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Depends how likely she is to promote them from "stock" to "pets"..Once stuff gets named, your on a slipperly slope as far as killing for the table goes...

If you can avoid that, and have a little natural water about the place, a few ducks don't won't to cause to much extra work..

The real draw back of any project like this is they tend to tie you ie who's going to feed and look after them if you wish to go away for a few days?

In addition to feeding, poultry really need somebody around morning and night to let them out, and then shut them up in the evenings..Finding somebody reliable to do that can be a bind..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
We got a couple ducks last year that turned to both be drakes. Got a couple Rouen hens with the chicks this year. Might just be me, but the duck eggs I have had didn't seem to be much different from chicken eggs, just bigger.
And yes, you will need to protect your garden, and keep a rifle handy.
We let a hen set for a few weeks this spring as a kind of experiment. We discovered that a bantam rooster must be a little too "short" to fertilize a regular size hen:)

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Which is actually a plus, it means I don't have to visit her family........

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get your turkeys soon.

The bird flu crap over in the plains caused the local fodder to dry up fast.

Which is surprising since the state is a major turkey producer.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've raised chickens, quail, pheasants, ducks, turkey, Guinea fowl,and pigeons.

Chickens, ducks, pigeons and Guinea are easy to raise free range if you have enough land.

None of them are worth the effort if you have to keep them in pens.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Been keeping a small flock for years. I think it's well worth it for the egg quality vs store bought. PS you either do it for meat or eggs, not generally both. Completely different breeds. Egg breeds don't have much breast meat and meat birds are typically slaughtered before they start laying eggs.

As for predators, we have hawks, owls, cats, foxes, coons, opossums, and in the six years I've kept a free range flock, I lost one to a hawk during the day, and one to a coon. The coon lost hen was killed only because the hen chose that night to roost outside and I missed her at the head count when I locked them up at night. Generally they put themselves to roost at dusk and I just lock them up at night. During the day they roam within a fenced in back half acre away from the house. Clipping their flight feathers will keep them from flying over the fence and getting near your home.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Of course my wife wants to get the chickens, lots of 'We really need to get some chickens' etc.

Of course WE means ME doing ALL the work

Dude, you need to re-read Ringworm's advice on such matters. Guy's a fuggin' genius:

Originally Posted by Ringworm
...and if you haven't learned by now, what makes your wife happy makes you happy.
I entertain all my wife's little adventures. If it succeeds, its due to my help and she appreciates it, if it fails its her lack of participation and I have something to hold over her head when I want something.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Dude, you need to re-read Ringworm's advice on such matters. Guy's a fuggin' genius:

Originally Posted by Ringworm
...and if you haven't learned by now, what makes your wife happy makes you happy.
I entertain all my wife's little adventures. If it succeeds, its due to my help and she appreciates it, if it fails its her lack of participation and I have something to hold over her head when I want something.

Doc,

Your Redhead is never falling for that crap any way you cut it grin wink

Your bestest PIA,

Lynn

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 1lessdog, 67 invisible), 2,188 guests, and 1,189 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,670
Posts18,493,740
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.