Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Did I mention that we three are each carrying an either sex tag?

cool

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I sure don't want to dash your hopes,but in areas that offer Either Sex tags,the cows come just as hard as the bulls. Just because the CPW issues those tags,don't mean there is an elk behind every tree..

Example.Unit 54 offers 500 Either Sex w/cap tags for the 2nd season.
Last year,the largest part of the herd was camped out on a private ranch, 400-500 head. They moved on there about the 2nd day of the 1st season

Two of us hunted the full ten days and I got a small 5x bull. My partner saw 12 elk at about 400 yards,moving fast.That was it. I killed the only elk I saw.

The local outfitter killed one cow first season and no elk the 2nd seaosn out of all his hunters in all camps

KC on here can verify that.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
4ager Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Hopes not dashed at all, and no elk come easy (at least on public land).

Unit 45; first rifle.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Used half sized 7 cu ft chest freezer, over 200 quarts, takes up less space in the truck bed because it's taller, use as ice chest, no generator, has drain plug, from now to the hunt one of you should find one for 50 bucks, ugly it up some so no one wants to steal it. I'd be more leary of leaving some nice 60.00 ice chests. Plus they take up most the bed.

If it works turn it on weeks ahead, freeze ice and fill it, putting meat in an already cold chest will save much ice in the initial cool down.

Kent

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by hunting1
De boned a cow/ small bull will fit in a 120-qt.

This is what I use with dry ice and duct tape.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dry ice is your friend. 1 big cooler per hunter. Fill the coolers with your gear. If you kill a elk put your gear in a big duffel and strap it to the top off your cooler. Hope that it dont rain on your duffel. Or get a camper shell and double you space in the bed of the truck. Bring a couple of smaller coolers for food and beverages. Icing the meat down will work also but you will have to unload the truck to drain and refill the coolers. With the dry ice throw a couple of chunks in each cooler duct tape the seams and leave the drain open so the gas dont build up inside the cooler. We had a homeade cooler that would hold four quartered elk easily. We would throw in a bunch of dry ice and duct tape the seams and by the time we got back to Missouri the Elk were frozen. Good luck on the Hunt hope you fill all your tags.

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
You have a bunch of good suggestions, we use 165 Qt coolers about $90 at club or big box store. Pack your stuff inside the coolers in duffle bags and use as waterproof containers on the way out. Big plastic bags should be covering your duffle bags on the way back with the coolers full of meat.

The larger size allows you to leave the meat on the quarters if you want and regular ice is great for some time to cool & clean the meat if you don't have a nice walk-in cooler to hang them in.

For transport we use dry ice and even through the desert things stay almost solid. I usually have 2 tags - this year 3 and I plan for 2 animals hoping to buy a 3rd cooler...we also have a truck rack over the camper shell that can hold up to 6 coolers on top full of meat on the way home if necessary. Animals take earl that can get out in larger pieces are usually processed there but pieced out mostly done at home when we get back and vacuum sealed.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (1Akshooter, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 204guy, 007FJ, 1OntarioJim, 55 invisible), 2,403 guests, and 890 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,802
Posts18,496,340
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.