-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Years ago folks steered me away from trying to wire weld aluminum on a production basis. Interesting seeing how it's straightforward now. smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The squared-away, orderliness of your shop always impresses, 'Cross. Enjoy the new unit's abilities and have a good one out there.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Years ago folks steered me away from trying to wire weld aluminum on a production basis. Interesting seeing how it's straightforward now. smile

Yup. For years we would not allow FCAW on any of our equipment (O&G stuff) and now it is pretty common.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
Well, I'm just knocking down one more cuppa' and am fixin' to finish up a gantry to spot over the water well casing head. I have to pull the simple pump today.

Norm, your post got me reflecting,.....these amazing new tools, at their VERY reasonable pricings, are made possible only by that which we frequently decry,....whilst bemoaning the demise of the tradesman / journeyman blue collar jobs.
*Cad/Cam
*Solid Modeling / 3D printing
*CNC machining / Moldmaking
*Mims
*Robotics/printed circuits
*.........jeez, that's barely the bones of it.

Suffice it to say that it's not all that long ago that we were manually winding armatures and field coils, and sitting in clouds of cellulosic fumes, burning off 6010. There sure have been a lot changes to see, in one lifetime, haven't there ?

GTC

yes and what we cry about the most is all new power rigs , trucks hoes, bulldozers, drill rigs, ect cant be fixed by you and me frown
only by tecs at 140.oo an hour or more but they sure produce more work, and what's comming next is the robotic computer screen controled desk jocky operator leaving us OLD schoolboys shaking our heads :confuse

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well there, THAT is out of the way, and where it belongs

[Linked Image]

......and I didn't kick the ladder out of the way and wind up stranded up there. Actually that whole lashup went together one piece at a time, telescoping together as it sprouted.
Lord bless and keep our boneyards full, this I humbly beseech you.
....Ya' just can't BEAT a MIG when "show Quality" is not the objective, but rather slamming something that will WORK, and getting it done pronto-like.

Thank you Lord for that crop of 3X3" HSS that I grabbed in town yesterday being EXACTLY the right length needed to get the height required at a simple 45*. Please,.... Continue to bless and keep the makers of these fine American truck muffler clamps, too.

[Linked Image]

Guess as long as I'm invocatin' and beseeching,...

Lord, please let me find the sucker rod that's given up at a shallow spot in the string, and I promise not to put the thing in top gear again unless it's real cloudy blush blush blush

whistle

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

Yup. For years we would not allow FCAW on any of our equipment (O&G stuff) and now it is pretty common.

One reason I was hired at a company in California was, during my interview they laid a part in front of me and asked, "How would you make this?". It was a welded steel assembly. I asked the monthly quantity, got the answer, and replied, "cut the sheet metal with a laser, form it, and weld it with a robot."

They had been importing a Chinese product, and wanted to start selling a US made product. Both the products and production line I designed worked well, and 18 years later, they are still doing it pretty much that way. Volumes got high enough to justify a big blanking press, and a 2nd Lincoln robot. I got the satisfaction of creating a few jobs in the USA.

I eventually moved on to greener pastures, running a smaller company. But it's real interesting, to wire weld aluminum smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Mornin' Hoser !

Dwayne, actually that setup is as azzbackwards as one could manage, but keeps the Lawyers happy,...it's almost impossible to tip.

The OPTIMUM spot for that wire drive would be 3' ABOVE the workpiece, and pointed down at 15* or so,....the first 4 feet of lead supported dead straight. Suffice it to say that "convenience" goes out the window, and we're no longer dragging it around the shop lickety splitsky.

Best I can say is ALWAYS try to keep that feed / lead as STRAIGHT as possible, and use wipers and wire lube / cleaner.

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...these amazing new tools, at their VERY reasonable pricings, are made possible only by that which we frequently decry,....whilst bemoaning the demise of the tradesman / journeyman blue collar jobs.
*Cad/Cam
*Solid Modeling / 3D printing
*CNC machining / Moldmaking
*Mims
*Robotics/printed circuits

All that. And shipping manufacturing jobs overseas. A lot of that equipment is for sale, cheap, because of our high unemployment.

Very nice shop and plenty of outside space.

At 71, I'm just learning to tig weld, using a Miller Dynasty 200DX I picked up used/remanufactured/used some more, on oBoy. Got a couple argon bottles on c/l. Getting better at handling the filler rod. Though I'd done some stick welding projects, decades ago, so far I've only used what I've learned to tack together some steel and some stainless pieces I fabricated, so I could then have a pro complete the welding; these had to be perfect for a client. Have to admire anyone with well honed tig welding skills. And I don't mind paying a pro for this, as I often have done in the past.

Tied to this was my purchase of a (ancient) vertical mill and lathe and a new mitering bandsaw, plus the precision layout, measuring and setup equipment that go along with more refined metalworking. And the major reorganization of my already seriously overcrowded (primarily wood) fabrication shop, which is a dust hole.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
All that. And shipping manufacturing jobs overseas. A lot of that equipment is for sale, cheap, because of our high unemployment.

UMmmm, I THOUGHT that I'd just said that. Sorry if it was obtuse. confused

Want to REALLY learn how to manage a Tig Puddle and Filler Rod ?

.....learn to Oxy-Acetylene weld at a master level,....FIRST.

Fatigued, a bit arthritic and muscle achy here all the time now, so I see my TIG skills largely in the toilet.

Best high precision welders I've known were gals.

GTC

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
All,

Weld string's been lifted, no sucker rod damage evident, so plugging the frost weep in the lift pipe (48" down casing) and resealing the VERY leaky top gland is underway.

.....next time you see a pic of that 211 it will be missing alla' those stupid safety and model labels ( I mean I KNOW what the damned thing is). That stick on labeling stuff gets RASTY /discolored when hit with weld spatter, and grinder chips, and the only time to get it gone is when NEW,.....once aged at all, and hit by IR and UV it'll rip the paint off.

GTC

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Very nice, there was a time in my life I would have killed for one of those! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've done a fare bit of O/A welding as a lad and even more brazing. The first time I picked up a TIG torch and glued some stainless together, I was in heaven. My mentor at the time was impressed as well and commented that I must have burnt some gas in the past.

TIG is an awesome skill to have but slow if not required. Tough to beat MIG for speed but the old stick is always required for outside or sticky situations.

What gas do you run in your MIG, Cross? I did straight CO at first and still do for dirty projects but 75/25 is my go to as it is a cleaner looking weld at higher amps.

I picked up a slightly used 304 Miller with a S60 pusher a few years back and won't have a lesser machine in my shop except for some .030/.023 work on the thin stuff. That thing flat out welds. I use it for everything from MIG to TIG to stick to arc gouging and it's been flawless. I try to use a big 40 oil burner for the gouging so I don't wreck a good outfit needlessly.

I noticed that you don't seem to have any insulation on your shop walls. How do you stay warm in the winter months? I need heat for half of the year. smile

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
No insulation ?

Well,....not yet, I'm still trying to get this place half azzed squared away.

Gas,....STRAIGHT CO2 is still the economy choice,....
and if and when I need to boot that, I mix my own, I've got Argon for the Dynasty, and I believe there's a big helium bottle out there somewhere.....Haven't counted "Owner Bottles" or stacked up alla' the Ys, Ts, or adapters, but they all seem to be here.

The last time I did any serious playing around with mixing gasses, I remember being really impressed with the addition of MINUTE (e.g. .05 to .2 %) Oxygen, to CO2 Argon, and CO2 Argon / Helium.....mostly when running FAT 3/64" wires. IIRC, it seemed to lay down a smoother boundary zone when capping.

Big 40 dittos, my friend,.....and semper E 7024, E 7018 when one just HAS to dump a string of metal where there ain't any, and have it HOLD.

I've had mine (Big 40) since 1982,....and am finally "overhauling" it.

GTC

Last edited by crossfireoops; 05/31/15.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love welding with a splash of O2 in the gas mix but I don't always have the patients to prep my work for it. It seems that it needs to be CLEAN to burn an oxy mix.

I welded some boilers with a tri-mix and that was fun but I had everything brushed and degreased perfectly. Also did a bit of 95/5 for some fancy production spray transfer MIG. I didn't care for the weld but that's what the smart guy spec'd. I prefer a little texture to the weld profile.

75/25 is not as cheap as straight CO2 but most of my welding is on .125" and over material. It's not uncommon to have the wire pusher up to 750IPM on some of the larger jobs and straight CO2 just doesn't cut it for me on those projects.

Don't forget to show us some pics of that loomynum project when it happens.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by roundoak
Miller has a pretty decent promotional play / rebate going on these Millermatic 211 machines, and after discussing them here, running one at a neighbors, falling into deepest darkest envy at EdM's recent acquisition grin , I went for it.
I have 2 big (for this little place) structural aluminum projects on the boards before Winter '16, and the spool gun's going to be needed, TIG's just not that cost effective.

No fancy gasses,....just plain vanilla CO2 and .035 70 S6 this evening,....I really LIKE the results, and am never going to regret this. Guess I'd forgatten how FAST a larger Mig can be blush .

[Linked Image]

Cross, the folding table with wheels, is that permanentely attached? I have a Black&Decker Workmate and I am always carrying it around.

Oh, and good set up.

Wayne

CHIT !

My apologies for not answering this sooner.

That "Dolly" was a Flea Market score,....as pictued, and intact it only required shortening,
....the Workmate just sits on it, and can be lifted off. Beats the chit out of packin' the thing around on blown out knees.

Roll on, Owayhee !

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Miller has a pretty decent promotional play / rebate going on these Millermatic 211 machines, and after discussing them here, running one at a neighbors, falling into deepest darkest envy at EdM's recent acquisition grin , I went for it.
I have 2 big (for this little place) structural aluminum projects on the boards before Winter '16, and the spool gun's going to be needed, TIG's just not that cost effective.

No fancy gasses,....just plain vanilla CO2 and .035 70 S6 this evening,....I really LIKE the results, and am never going to regret this. Guess I'd forgatten how FAST a larger Mig can be blush .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I like that welder you have on the trailer. Have one just like it, powered by a flat head continental

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Crossfire,

I thought push pull spool guns are required for aluminum welding?

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I think spool guns are single drive but its point of use, little spool right there on the gun.

Nice stuff crossfire.

Something clever here.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Yep no need to waste a long string of wire when it goes tits up.

I do use a felt wiper fob wetted with some kind of amazing stuff(lighter fluid i think)that keeps the liner clean.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Guess I am out of my league.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1lessdog, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 53 invisible), 2,427 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,897
Posts18,518,402
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.