Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Took my 13 year old son to his soccer game last weekend. The team we played have a reputation for playing dirty.

Early in the game our strikers were on fire, first drive early score! There was much training and preparation for this game. In the first few minutes it looked to be paying off!

I thought it odd that the ref didn't move up and down the field with the ball. He missed a major yellow card for a bump on their goalie by one of our players.

Every time we drove past the midfield, the other team would pull a shirt, throw a shove or elbow. I've never seen anything like it at this level of play.

Often the line judges would contradict the field ref. His response, "I didn't see it, I'll call it next time".

On the fifth drive past the other teams defense, the last defender shoved our striker as he passed the ball to center. Instead of following the ball, their goalie basically piled on our downed striker, driving his knee into the back of strikers neck......he was out and had to be carried off the field and immediately taken to the emergency room. He had a cuncussion and a sprained neck. No card, no penalty for this extremely dangerous play, no write up in his after game report about an injured player that had to be carried off the field. We ended up with 2 bloody noses and a couple other injuries. I get that soccer can have a lot of contact, "Rubbing is racing". These guys used consistent and dangerous dirty tricks.

What he did write about was our coach getting a yellow card and the TSL not being able to keep the parents quiet (as they expressed concern for the dangerous play being allowed).

After the game, the team manager approached the refs asking for their names....the refs response, "I don't have to give you anything, I've been reffing for 20 years".

Complaints to the soccer association are falling on deaf ears.

Thanks for letting me vent, I'm still pissed about that game.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The one thing about sports the last 20 or so years, it damn sure isn't sporting...

Society has made it become win at all costs, and mega bucks sports at the pro level( even HS and College but they conceal that part of it well)

Its a big reason I refuse to watch sports and if we had kids I suspect, they'd be much more so into the outdoors than sports ever. But I would do what THEY wanted to do regardless.

30 plus years ago when I played soccer, we always were scuffed adn bloodied up at times, contact going for balls etc... just came with the territory but NO one did antying to intentionally hurt someone else...

Sorry someone got hurt.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
My guess is the other teams coach is an a- hole too. Young players deserve to play in a better environment than that. You may want to consider telling the league that you won't take the field with those guys as refs again. That may get their attention?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Never played orginized sports but as a kid we plsyef pick up football snd basebsll games. It wasnt uncommon to have bloody noses or broken bones

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
adults are supposed to enhance kid's games, not mar them

after 4 years of HS soccer, a couple of comp seasons and so many frickin rec games I couldn't count them have seen most all of it.

not much different than hockey on grass, soccer is

sometimes you need an enforcer

emotion makes you see things differently than the perspective of the uninvolved

but am thinking if I'd seen a ref show blatant disregard for safety of kids at that age, we might have had a serious discussion about what constitutes personal safety.

easy enough to get hurt legit playing that game

we come to play soccer or fight?

can play either way, just let me know which game you prefer

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sports has, for the most part, been ruined.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter
Sports has, for the most part, been ruined.

Steve.

After a year of our 16 year old girl in Volleyball and Track, and our 13 year old boy in Basketball and Lacrosse, I couldn't disagree more.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Crappy refs are a real bummer. We have one in our league that threw a game against our hs team becasue his calls were so bad.

The worst is as you say when a team is playing rough and dirty and the ref doesn't do anything about it. Fortunately I've seen the flip side when the ref throws yellow cards early in the game to tone down agressive play.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the OP, sounds like good video might be quite useful. I'd be tempted, if possible, to be a very visible videographer on the sidelines, with a large professional looking camera, where the ref could see that someone was documenting what was going on. But there are potential consequences if you take that action.

Kids will get hurt playing sports, but if I was sure there was a chronic and severe problem, that's probably the first step I'd take.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
A few bloody noses and pushes is all part of many things, what is unfortunate is the kid driving his knee into the other kid. Where that my son he'd be hauled off the field by the back of his neck.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
adults are supposed to enhance kid's games, not mar them

after 4 years of HS soccer, a couple of comp seasons and so many frickin rec games I couldn't count them have seen most all of it.

not much different than hockey on grass, soccer is

sometimes you need an enforcer

emotion makes you see things differently than the perspective of the uninvolved

but am thinking if I'd seen a ref show blatant disregard for safety of kids at that age, we might have had a serious discussion about what constitutes personal safety.

easy enough to get hurt legit playing that game

we come to play soccer or fight?

can play either way, just let me know which game you prefer

Yep. BT/DT.

Most sports are that way.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Too many Americans think soccer is a "safe" sport, and fail to realize how badly people can get injured. Soccer has been the #1 sport for concussions in female NCAA athletes for over a decade.

And dirty/bad refs are found in any sport. Get video evidence; report to local association; if necessary, report to sanctioning organization if local association won't respond. Document evcerything.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Plenty of soccer moms on every field.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Rgramjet
Took my 13 year old son to his soccer game last weekend. The team we played have a reputation for playing dirty.

Early in the game our strikers were on fire, first drive early score! There was much training and preparation for this game. In the first few minutes it looked to be paying off!

I thought it odd that the ref didn't move up and down the field with the ball. He missed a major yellow card for a bump on their goalie by one of our players.

Every time we drove past the midfield, the other team would pull a shirt, throw a shove or elbow. I've never seen anything like it at this level of play.

Often the line judges would contradict the field ref. His response, "I didn't see it, I'll call it next time".

On the fifth drive past the other teams defense, the last defender shoved our striker as he passed the ball to center. Instead of following the ball, their goalie basically piled on our downed striker, driving his knee into the back of strikers neck......he was out and had to be carried off the field and immediately taken to the emergency room. He had a cuncussion and a sprained neck. No card, no penalty for this extremely dangerous play, no write up in his after game report about an injured player that had to be carried off the field. We ended up with 2 bloody noses and a couple other injuries. I get that soccer can have a lot of contact, "Rubbing is racing". These guys used consistent and dangerous dirty tricks.

What he did write about was our coach getting a yellow card and the TSL not being able to keep the parents quiet (as they expressed concern for the dangerous play being allowed).

After the game, the team manager approached the refs asking for their names....the refs response, "I don't have to give you anything, I've been reffing for 20 years".

Fortunately for the kids sports provide a wide variety of life lessons as well as team building skills. Consider it a teaching moment for your kid that things are not always how they should be and that sometimes you have to rise above the adversity. Fair play is only an idea not reality.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Rgramjet

Many people forget that soccer is officially a CONTACT SPORT. Pushing and shoving is perfectly legal within limits. But what you're describing is dangerously negligent on the part of the referee. For youth sports there is no higher calling than player safety for the officials. That ref ought to be called to the carpet; seriously!

If your league is AYSO, call the national office; they'll be on it like stink on chit.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by Steelhead
A few bloody noses and pushes is all part of many things, what is unfortunate is the kid driving his knee into the other kid. Where that my son he'd be hauled off the field by the back of his neck.

Absolutely!

That said, there's more than one reason teams play at home/away. If that's the game that team is after.......green light.

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by NH K9
Originally Posted by Steelhead

Absolutely!

That said, there's more than one reason teams play at home/away. If that's the game that team is after.......green light.

Yep.

BT/DT. Hell, I LIKED those games.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I coached high school and middle school football for 30 years before retiring. Ended up being drafted into soccer the last few years. Not that I was terribly qualified, but the most qualified on the staff. My qualifications: I drove the bus and went to all of the practices and games when my daughter played. When the real coach resigned I was the next best qualified.

For one thing, in every sport a good coach will teach his players to figure out how the ref's are calling the game very early on. Every ref sees the game differently and once a team advances to playoff's fewer fowls are going to be called. If the game is being called loosely, that is how we will play. If the ref's are calling a tight game, then we play that way.

One issue we had was ref's within our region tended to have a very strict interpretation of the rules. But once we advanced to playoff's and got ref's from other regions they would often let them play. Our players were at a disadvantage. It was like we were trying to play by a different set of rules.

One other thing I learned. Soccer is the most corrupt sport I've ever been exposed to from top to bottom. It is the whole soccer culture. It attracts the most unruly, undisciplined kids in the school. Some are decent athletes, but most are not nearly as good as they think. I saw more truly horrible calls and ref's in soccer than all other sports combined. I ran into the same situation when I tried to report a crew for ethical violations. They refused to give me their names.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Seems if I thought something was getting out of control/dangerous that I would have pulled my kid.

Seems the coach could have stopped it too.

That apparently no one did that means there were a whole bunch of people standing around waiting for someone else to do something.

I don't understand that either.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Most, if not all soccer leagues/associations at the local or state level have a formal complaint or grievance process for referee and player misconduct issues. If you feel you are not being heard at the lower level you can take it up the ladder until you are. Unfortunately, without good video evidence, it often comes down to their word against yours.

Contrary to what many believe, soccer can very much be a contact sport, and pushing, shoving, shirt grabbing, etc. is often tolerated to a certain point, depending on what level you're playing at. That said, an attempt to intentionally injure another player should never be tolerated and the failure of a referee to recognize that and take appropriate action makes it even worse.

I've been involved with youth soccer for a long time and some of the absolute worst referees I have seen often like to point out how long they've been a ref. In my experience, longevity doesn't necessarily mean competence.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1234, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 66 invisible), 2,578 guests, and 1,132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,471
Posts18,529,359
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.