Was gonna answer adammurwin's response, but I can't think of too many better authorities about hunting brown bears than Phil Shoemaker. My lineage through guiding is Sandy Jamieson, via Justin Johns. I'm lucky to have spent time in the company of Joe Want, and Henry "T" Tiffany as well. It just always seemed prudent to me to take the advice of guys with way more experience, while P. Shoemakers procedure is just a bit varied from what I was taught, it is within the parameters of the same school of thought. Most of the guys that could teach Phil about bear hunting have gone to the great reward. Agreed as well that while bears have a decent skull they are not lined with titanium, and I believe I mentioned providing you have sufficient caliber and penetration at hand. Can't blame anyone for questioning my stance on bear hunting, I've been on more kills than most guys, but there are lots of guys with way more experience than my own. Shoemaker is one of them. Disagree with me all you want about bear hunting, disagree very much with Phil about the same subject and you are treading where fools go IMO. We're lucky to have guys of his experience and knowledge on these subjects to share with us.