24hourcampfire.com
-->
Thread Like Summary
mjs3240
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#17113883 03/30/2022 4:48 AM
by yosey
yosey
Was wondering if there is a standard percentage when tipping a guide? I understand the good ones put a lot of sweat and work into their work to get their clients a good elk. I want to be fair when the hunt is over elk or no elk.
Liked Replies
#17231013 May 8th a 06:33 PM
by worriedman
worriedman
To the elitist who live on that moral high ground of perfection, and who evidently have access to areas that hold game and the years to learn the public access points where the targeted species exist, perfect health and the skills to locate those animals, bravo.

There are others of us who have labored work-a-day for 50 years, never having the time to scout those distant lands, procure the rights to the areas to hunt and have the ability or equipment to get an animal out of the rough stuff if good fortune were to smile...

Some of us always wanted the elk, sheep or nilgai but were not situated so that a DIY hunt was possible time or access wise, other things such as family and responsibility being more important. I guess you would deny that "excursion" to live in our minds as valuable. So would the person who always wanted to run close to the wind in a 60 footer who chartered out for a day to have that thrill, tacking to stay the course, tasting the salt spray and the heel of the ship be denied? They were not the master maybe, but if they took the wheel and knew when to call "Prepare to come about" and could read the wind, swells and trim the sheets they were By God sailing.

I saved my pennies for my two elk hunts and tipped my outfitter and especially my guides well, took the lady cook a case of good wine the second trip and tipped her well too. It may not rate as hunt for you, but it lives in my mind as a cross off a bucket list item after crawling up a vertical cow face in Montana after my guide spotted a bunch laying up mid day, we planned a stalk to a spot opposite to them, got set up and waited for them to get up to feed and I made that 400 yard shot across the hollar and dropped him where he stood.

I call that a hunt and you the termination of an alimentary canal for trying to lesson its value to me.

This thread was not about the relative value of gruntism, but rather about the percentage of remuneration for services rendered. I suggest you start your own thread about how week and pathetic those of us who do not measure up to your metrics are. Do we have a Richard Cranium Forum?
1 member likes this
AX24

576 members (1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 22250rem, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,094 guests, and 1,229 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,011
Posts18,481,492
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.