24hourcampfire.com
24hourcampfire.com
-->
Thread Like Summary
TSIBINDI
Original Post (Thread Starter)
by ctw
ctw
Wondering what this rifle is worth? I have had it a few years with designs of building a custom and am contemplating selling.

I also have a mannlicker birds eye stock semi inlet that I may sell
Thanks Chris

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/19286971#Post19286971
Liked Replies
by LLinSC
LLinSC
Ola’ Senor Lawrence-

Me llamo Luis… I am new to this “Campfire” country, having only recently emigrated from my native Guatemala courtesy of the generous immigration policies of your Government…

I have followed this website for some time, yet have never felt I had anything to contribute about which you had not already provided a DEFINITIVE (albeit not always correct) answer… So FORGIVE my ignorance and impertinence…

Regarding this thread, the statement (quoted by AK) with which you took exception was an excerpt of a WACA post I did in 2016. Roger Rule said (on p 184), while discussing Featherweight rear sights, that the (tall) Win 22K was used from 1952-1955 on low comb FWTs, while the (tall) Lyman 16A folding sight was used with low comb stocks from 1955-1963… Hence, a Win 22K on a low comb M70 FWT from 1957 MUST be incorrect… That’s your logic, right?

Where did Roger get his information? How did YOU independently verify its accuracy? Is it “Just you take” iskra? (Hi John – Miss you on WACA)! My comments (which were for the WACA audience) were based on two things: 1) Period Winchester catalogs; and, 2) WACA’s (my) ongoing observational survey of pre-64 M70s “as-found” between 1975 and today (currently over 20,000 entries). Admittedly we’ve only got <4% of total production, but what did Roger have? In your eyes Roger’s undocumented “observations” trump Winchester’s own literature and “what’s out there”… That’s ALL GOOD…

Don’t get me wrong… Rule’s book is ESSENTIAL reading for anyone FOOL enough to decide to collect pre-64 M70 Winchesters… There’s nothing better (yet)… I guess I’d only humbly suggest that “The Rifleman’s Rifle” is not the “BIBLE” (in the Christian “Word of GOD” sense)…

A final comment, since I am unlikely to post here again after Lawrence gets done with me… Anyone having SERIOUS questions about pre-64 M70 Winchesters is WELCOME to post them on the WACA forum. If you choose to use the CONFIDENTIAL “Query” option under the “Contact Us” tab, the questions will be automatically forwarded to a pre-designated “Historian” (Model specific) who will do their best to provide a satisfactory answer based on available information (as opposed to Larry’s forcefully expressed opinion). In the case of pre-64 M70s, the queries go either to me or Steve Emmert (seewin)… All that said, we’re not real good with the “what’s my gun worth (without pics)” type question and we don’t know much (anything) about post Olin Model 70s. For those questions, stay here and ask AK… He’s THE MAN!!!

All the best,
Luis
1 member likes this
AX24

542 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 2500HD, 10Glocks, 204guy, 1234, 60 invisible), 2,596 guests, and 1,198 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,816
Posts18,516,598
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.